Tips/Gratuities

Suna

I bring small bills for several uses - to tip porters, tip cab drivers, tip tour guides, and to use for souvenirs (most of the islands accept USD but may not be able to make change in it).

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You don't even know what you have started here. Search 'gratuities' and find the long thread and posts entered earlier. It gets heated ... to say the least.

Summarized as you are a sucker if you tip or a jerk if you don't. Fleshed out with some you're just a richie-rich versus you're just a tightwad.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Forums mobile app

You know incorrectly. The DSC can be prepaid if you choose to do so but that is completely different than tips which (other than the 18% required on packages) is 100% optional. There is noting that you 'should' or 'should not' give as a tip. It is all up to what you choose to give, how, much, and to whom. I personally tip my server at each meal and for each drink delivered when not dining. I also tip the cabin steward. Others tip as they deem appropriate.

Thanks ... I have never been anywhere except Disney and just want to get it all right. I don't want to leave out or over do (does that make sense) Waht about taxi or Uber drivers? What about people taking your luggage? I would feel bad if I should be tipping and don't.

You know incorrectly. The DSC can be prepaid if you choose to do so but that is completely different than tips which (other than the 18% required on packages) is 100% optional. There is noting that you 'should' or 'should not' give as a tip. It is all up to what you choose to give, how, much, and to whom. I personally tip my server at each meal and for each drink delivered when not dining. I also tip the cabin steward. Others tip as they deem appropriate.

OP, this guy is a troll. I ignore him. He's on a personal crusade and thinks other people should join him.

If you pay the DSC, your wait staff and room steward won't expect anything additional. If they go above and beyond and you want to tip something additional you can, but there's no need to walk around the ship with cash, handing it out left and right.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks ... I have never been anywhere except Disney and just want to get it all right. I don't want to leave out or over do (does that make sense) Waht about taxi or Uber drivers? What about people taking your luggage? I would feel bad if I should be tipping and don't.
Usually taxi drivers are tipped, 15%-20%. I don't do Urber, so have no idea there. Porters who take your bags usually get tipped $1 or $2 a bag.

As far as on the ship, it is really up to you if you want to tip any of the crew. If you feel somone has gone above and beyond for you and you want to reward them, they would certainly appreciate it. Any tipping should be based on service rendered and, of course, your budget, but don't feel you have to tip someone on the ship, because others do.

I remove the auto gratuity and use small bill. I had all seven nights in the specialty restaurants so had already paid for dinner tips in the package and don't feel it's appropriate to double tip. I tipped at Breakfast and lunch and gave the cabin steward $3.50 PP PD in cash the last day. I found the service superior to previous cruises where I'd left the auto gratuity intact.

As a side note about porters. I tip $1 per bag . These are union long shore men that earn an above average hourly rate but American custom dictate a tip anyway.

I remove the auto gratuity and use small bill. I had all seven nights in the specialty restaurants so had already paid for dinner tips in the package and don't feel it's appropriate to double tip. I tipped at Breakfast and lunch and gave the cabin steward $3.50 PP PD in cash the last day. I found the service superior to previous cruises where I'd left the auto gratuity intact.

As a side note about porters. I tip $1 per bag . These are union long shore men that earn an above average hourly rate but American custom dictate a tip anyway.

You should never remove your daily service charge. You are cheating all of the behind the scenes crew members who work equally are to ensure that you have a wonderful cruise. Pay the DSC and don't be cheap.

You should never remove your daily service charge. You are cheating all of the behind the scenes crew members who work equally are to ensure that you have a wonderful cruise. Pay the DSC and don't be cheap.

You can pay it for me if you feel so strongly. It's my responsibility to tip those that serve me, not behind the scenes which is the cruise lines responsibility. As long as people take on the roll of employer instead of just as a tipper the cruise lines will take advantage.

When' the last time you went into a back room room to tip any body?

The laundry staff furnish a clean sheet every week, and their job consists of picling up one corner of a wet sheet and placing on a conveyor.

It comes out dried and folded. Same procedure with towels.

How much tip do you suggest they should be tipped for that?