Epic - Haven - Overrun with Kids?

Dgius

We are just about to book into the Haven on Epic. I am booking 4 rooms for 8 adult family members. Looking at the deck map, it appears most of the rooms in Haven are "family 2 bedroom" units. Does that mean the Haven is overrun with families with kids? Don't get me wrong...I am not anti kid.....just curious if the percentage of Haven guests appear to be more kids than adults? We have done the 3 bedroom villa on the Jade and this ship is new to us. The Jade was mostly adults in Haven. Curious if folks found the Haven on Epic to be more families with little ones than adults. We are planning Western Mediterranean 2018. I appreciate the feedback!

It might differ from cruise to cruise. Different months and itineraries factor in.

We cruised Feb-Mar 2017 in the DOS on the Epic. Very few kids. All were pleasant.

Loved the Epic Haven. Exceeded my expectations.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If you are traveling during the peak school break times, there will be a lot more children on board in general. Late June through early August will likely have many more children than you would see at other times because those are the weeks that nearly ALL schools are out.

Families with younger children (people whose kids are infants and toddlers) can be on any sailing as they are not yet dependent on school calendars. That said, most people don't cruise when their kids are that young because it isn"t much of a vacation for the primary caregiver. It is harder to deal with kids that age when you are outside of your home environment. So there may be a few families with little ones, but they definitely don't overrun the ship.

Best bet if you want to avoid kids is stick to luxury lines, or only book when schools are in session.

We returned from the Med cruise on the Epic about two weeks ago. The pool did have quite a number of children in at as there was large family groups; including an extended family traveling with three nannies. We did not use the pool or hot tub so the children in them did not matter to us. We did see many people laying out in the pool Haven area. Posh was mostly empty so we had the bar with only about 4 other people and a choice of seats everyday. A perfect adult only retreat. We usually had a snack up there (has to be before 4pm) One day we got up there just a tad past 4pm and our butler the lifesaver brought us food as the lunchtime was over. (this was an exception for us) This is a port intensive cruise so with only one sea day for us we had excursions booked and our guides picked us up almost after the ship docked. Second time on the Epic and loved every minute!

I agree it depends on the time of year. I did Breakaway in March and there were a few small children. When I went this past May there were a lot of small children. I'm referring to the under 13 crowd, because as someone mentioned my kids are college aged. :) In general the Haven was much more crowded in May.

Also there if 3 & 4th passengers sail free was offered on your trip (at any time) this also leads to a higher number of children on-board, or I guess passengers in general.

We are just about to book into the Haven on Epic. I am booking 4 rooms for 8 adult family members. Looking at the deck map, it appears most of the rooms in Haven are "family 2 bedroom" units. Does that mean the Haven is overrun with families with kids? Don't get me wrong...I am not anti kid.....just curious if the percentage of Haven guests appear to be more kids than adults? We have done the 3 bedroom villa on the Jade and this ship is new to us. The Jade was mostly adults in Haven. Curious if folks found the Haven on Epic to be more families with little ones than adults. We are planning Western Mediterranean 2018. I appreciate the feedback!

As an older-adult child traveling with my parents, I can tell you that the 2-bedroom family suites was something I considered; so just because it's a "family" room does not mean it will be children (and I've encountered a number of instances where adults split the room).

There will be a lot of kids but the nice thing about the Epic is the upper deck which is adults only! That upper deck is beautiful and big, has a big nice bar and adults only! Not all of the newer ships have this nice adults only upper deck. Trust me, I learned this the hard way. The Escape doesn't have the nice sundeck with big bar. it has a tiny sundeck.... as in tiny, tiny and also includes the Haven's smoking section believe it or not!

But not the Epic. You can easily get away from the kids! It won't be a problem.

There will be a lot of kids but the nice thing about the Epic is the upper deck which is adults only! That upper deck is beautiful and big, has a big nice bar and adults only! Not all of the newer ships have this nice adults only upper deck. Trust me, I learned this the hard way. The Escape doesn't have the nice sundeck with big bar. it has a tiny sundeck.... as in tiny, tiny and also includes the Haven's smoking section believe it or not!

But not the Epic. You can easily get away from the kids! It won't be a problem.

This. The Epic has the nicest Haven of the large ships (I've been on the Epic, Escape and Getaway). Posh, the adults-only area, is awesome and included for Haven guests. The restaurant on the Epic is large, plus you have the Courtyard Grill to supplement that in the morning and at lunch (I'm not sure if people are seated there during dinner).

And we've always sailed in a 2-bedroom suite. Once just the two of us. The other times with a friend who cruises basically for free in the 2nd bedroom. We like the 2-bedroom because it gives us separate bedroom and living areas, plus the master bath is amazing.

While the amount of kids on your trip will depend partially on the time of year you are sailing, the other part is just pure luck. But Posh should help you get adult time as long as your weather cooperates. Plus, the Epic Haven has its own gym, which my husband appreciated. While the Epic isn't our favorite ship, it is definitely our favorite Haven.

Med= summer

There will be some kids in he Haven. And they will be at the pool and hot tub.

The Posh Club is adults only if you need to escape.

The last time we were on the Epic, we had a 2BR for the two of us. So wee skewed the head count.

I am splitting a 2 bedroom suite with my mom, her friend and my husband. So you could say I am the kid. lol

I haven't been on the Epic yet (in October) but when on the Getaway there were some small children last September but it wasn't over run with kids.

We were in the Haven on the Epic in March. There were very few kids. In addition, the ones I saw were very well behaved. I only saw one on our debarkation morning at breakfast in the Haven restaurant that drove me crazy. And I don't blame him, I blame his mom and grandparents for not correcting his behavior (clanking utensils on plate loudly, throwing food, etc). And I agree, Posh is the perfect adult only retreat! The Epic's Haven is heavenly!