Dress warm to be on deck in Antarctica

JennysUncle

We are back from the 29 Jan 2014 Zaandam cruise from Buenos Aires to Valparaiso via the Antarctic Peninsula. Of the three days in Antarctica, one was overcast but bright, one was spectacularly sunny, and one was heavy fog - but the experience overall was great.

A big concern was what to pack, since we anticipated being out on deck for the best views. The temperature turned out (no surprise) to be what the weather websites projected for February - mid 20's overnight and low 30's in the afternoon.

We wore this: long johns (shirt & pants), shirt, heavy pants, sweater, heavy socks, hiking shoes, ear-band, hat with turn-down neck and ear covers, heavy gloves, insulated (but not extreme) long coat. Also used hunter-style foot and hand warmers. The result - we were comfortable for long stretches out on deck - except for our fingers. Ski mittens probably would have been better, but it's hard to use a camera with mittens.

Hope this info is helpful to anyone heading way down south in the future.

We also just returned from a Feb cruise similar to your including Antarctica. We dressed similar but no heavy coat, we just had wind breaker/rain proof type clothing and were fine. We found our hands to also be the only part that really got too cold. We would go inside for breaks every so often and were fine.

We also just returned from a Feb cruise similar to your including Antarctica. We dressed similar but no heavy coat, we just had wind breaker/rain proof type clothing and were fine. We found our hands to also be the only part that really got too cold. We would go inside for breaks every so often and were fine.

I took fingerless woollen gloves, kept my hands warm and could still use my camera

We are back from the 29 Jan 2014 Zaandam cruise from Buenos Aires to Valparaiso via the Antarctic Peninsula. Of the three days in Antarctica' date=' one was overcast but bright, one was spectacularly sunny, and one was heavy fog - but the experience overall was great.

A big concern was what to pack, since we anticipated being out on deck for the best views. The temperature turned out (no surprise) to be what the weather websites projected for February - mid 20's overnight and low 30's in the afternoon.

We wore this: long johns (shirt & pants), shirt, heavy pants, sweater, heavy socks, hiking shoes, ear-band, hat with turn-down neck and ear covers, heavy gloves, insulated (but not extreme) long coat. Also used hunter-style foot and hand warmers. The result - we were comfortable for long stretches out on deck - except for our fingers. Ski mittens probably would have been better, but it's hard to use a camera with mittens.

Hope this info is helpful to anyone heading way down south in the future.[/quote']

Thank you for the clothing tips, we are scheduled for the same itinerary on Zaandam next season. Any other tips, like shore excursions or anything else for that matter, would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for the clothing tips, we are scheduled for the same itinerary on Zaandam next season. Any other tips, like shore excursions or anything else for that matter, would be greatly appreciated.

Shorex in Punta Arenas to Otway Bay is great, but way over-priced. You can take a taxi and have it wait, very reasonable price. Good place to see penguins up close.

Lemaire, Newmeyer Channels ( and all other areas in the Antarctic) can be viewed best from high and low. Don't stay in one place on the ship, but wander around for perspective. Walking helps keep you warm, too!

If you do Hope Bay, you should see thousand of penguins breaching. Highlight of our time!

Forgive my ignorance, but I would think warm clothing would always be needed when in Antarctica. Does it actually get warm enough down there for spring/summer clothing?

Not in Antarctica! But some days are colder than others. The really cold ones, with the strong wind, are bitter, bitter, bitter. The only way to be outside is to stay on the lee side of the ship.

I have also been there on crystal clear days with warm sun and no wind, and it's really nice to sit outside watching the gorgeous scenery, and tasting that clean, fresh air.

Forgive my ignorance, but I would think warm clothing would always be needed when in Antarctica. Does it actually get warm enough down there for spring/summer clothing?

On our last day we went to Admiralty Bay and it was snowing and by MY standards, cold. Most everyone was bundled up well with hat, mittens, coats, etc. ONe guy was wandering around the top deck IN SHORTS and a tee shirt and not showing any signs he was uncomfortable in the least. One guy in our RC, from Austrailia, commented to us "and that bloke in the shorts is Aussie! One of the funniest comments of the trip!:D

Shorex in Punta Arenas to Otway Bay is great, but way over-priced. You can take a taxi and have it wait, very reasonable price. Good place to see penguins up close.

Lemaire, Newmeyer Channels ( and all other areas in the Antarctic) can be viewed best from high and low. Don't stay in one place on the ship, but wander around for perspective. Walking helps keep you warm, too!

If you do Hope Bay, you should see thousand of penguins breaching. Highlight of our time!

We did that trip last year but went from freezing cold to hot climate (30 day trip). So packing was an issue. Instead of a heavy jacket that takes up lots of room we packed down jackets. They weight less than a pound, roll up in a little pouch. You can find them in Costco in late fall, or any department store.

Cost under $50.00.Even though so lightweight, kept us really warm.

Slightly off topic :p but for those of you who have sailed Alaska and Antarctica, did you enjoy one over the other? (and I'm talking specifically about the days sailing to/from and around Antarctica, not the other ports you visited) We're trying to figure out if it's worth it to do the Antarctica "drive by" since we can't afford to do it on a spendy exploration-type ship or just stick with a strictly South America itinerary that hits at least two of the four "penguin stops".

Thanks!

Slightly off topic :p but for those of you who have sailed Alaska and Antarctica, did you enjoy one over the other? (and I'm talking specifically about the days sailing to/from and around Antarctica, not the other ports you visited) We're trying to figure out if it's worth it to do the Antarctica "drive by" since we can't afford to do it on a spendy exploration-type ship or just stick with a strictly South America itinerary that hits at least two of the four "penguin stops".

Thanks!

The Antarctic is outstanding! We love Alaska but the Antarctic is in another category altogether. Our best cruise ever!

Thanks!

If you are thinking of doing the South America portion, by all means do Antarctica as well. It was the highlight of the trip for me and I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

Debbie

We have done both Alaska and South America and Antarctica. Both were spectacular but the South America cruise from Valpairaiso, Chile to Buenos Aires, Argentina is our greatest cruise experience. From sailing down Beagle Pass, exploring Patagonia and Argentina, then just the fact your in Antartica is wow!

Cold at times. Yes! Same clothes we wore in Alaska but face protection and warm gloves allowed us more outdoor time viewing.

Want to do this cruise again.

Alaska is easier to get to, but Antarctica is nothing like Alaska, while being so much more.

Antarctica is stark beyond my ability to describe, quiet, the air is incredibly fresh. There is no other place on earth that is like it.

You don't "go" to Antarctica; you feel it to the depths of your soul.

We have done both Alaska and South America and Antarctica. Both were spectacular but the South America cruise from Valpairaiso, Chile to Buenos Aires, Argentina is our greatest cruise experience. From sailing down Beagle Pass, exploring Patagonia and Argentina, then just the fact your in Antartica is wow!

Cold at times. Yes! Same clothes we wore in Alaska but face protection and warm gloves allowed us more outdoor time viewing.

Want to do this cruise again.

Ditto here. I'm trying to figure out how to get back ( and take DH this time). There hasn't been a day since that I don't think about it. It was so worth it.

Here's a suggestion for the cold fingers: get a pair of light gloves with special material on the fingertips for using electronics. They are a little heavier than glove liners (what I used to use) and great for taking photos. Then put your mittens on over them while just standing around.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Forums mobile app

Alaska is easier to get to, but Antarctica is nothing like Alaska, while being so much more.

Antarctica is stark beyond my ability to describe, quiet, the air is incredibly fresh. There is no other place on earth that is like it.

Ruth, As usual you nailed it on a great description for this cruise. Thanks.

Ruth,

I absolutely love, love, love Alaska for it's beauty, sereneness, fresh air, wildlife .... but you sold me!! :D

And BTW, if there were such a thing as a Visitor's Bureau in Antarctica, they should pay you to license your last line as their advertising tag line! LOVE it!!! :D

Barb

Ruth,

I absolutely love, love, love Alaska for it's beauty, sereneness, fresh air, wildlife .... but you sold me!! :D

Barb, I hope then it lives up to my hype!

Seriously, I have been to Alaska 6 times, with cruises #7 & 8 coming up in August, and to Antarctica 3 times. I've also spent a lot of cruising days in Norway, and Greenland. All are spectacular in different ways, but Antarctica is just raised to a much higher power of spectacular.

On our last day we went to Admiralty Bay and it was snowing and by MY standards, cold. Most everyone was bundled up well with hat, mittens, coats, etc. ONe guy was wandering around the top deck IN SHORTS and a tee shirt and not showing any signs he was uncomfortable in the least. One guy in our RC, from Austrailia, commented to us "and that bloke in the shorts is Aussie! One of the funniest comments of the trip!:D

I had the same problems last January on the Prinsendam, my shoes were soaked from the ice and snow on the front and rear decks, so I gave up changing wet socks and shoes and wore my flip-flops (thongs to us Aussies) and just dried my feet. Everyone was taking photos of the weird Aussie lady in her flip flops in Antarctica.!:D

I had the same problems last January on the Prinsendam, my shoes were soaked from the ice and snow on the front and rear decks, so I gave up changing wet socks and shoes and wore my flip-flops (thongs to us Aussies) and just dried my feet. Everyone was taking photos of the weird Aussie lady in her flip flops in Antarctica.!:D

Flip flops/zories used to be thongs to us Californians too, but now a thong is an entirely different thing!:eek: