Carnival cruiser thinking of "jumping ship"

hockeyluver

Well after 16 cruises... all with Carnival I think its time to change it up a bit. I know absolutely nothing about NCL. Which ship? When to book? What the cabins are like and the best area to book/ avoid ? We usually book a balcony cabin on Carnival. Anything that could be of help would be greatly appreciated. Looking for mid Feb 2016, for hubby and myself.

Two advices:

1. Read this forum - there are a lot of recent threads by NCL-newbies asking all kinds of questions.

2. Book before the end of this month to benefit from the current promo - it's one of the best we've seen in years: http://www.ncl.com/promo/wave15

Edited by Demonyte

Well after 16 cruises... all with Carnival I think its time to change it up a bit. I know absolutely nothing about NCL. Which ship? When to book? What the cabins are like and the best area to book/ avoid ? We usually book a balcony cabin on Carnival. Anything that could be of help would be greatly appreciated. Looking for mid Feb 2016, for hubby and myself.

If you can fit it into your budget, I highly recommend a suite in the Haven. http://thehaven.ncl.com/

If looking for a suite, I look at the older smaller ships that have a lot better rates then the larger bling bling ships.

As mentioned, read this forum. Go back multiple pages to read then go to NCL.COM to investigate the deck plans and look over pictures. Do not forget to go to CC ship review by passengers as well.

I have been on more Carnival cruises then NCL. The one NCL 3 day cruise I tried before my upcoming 7 day was a trial. I am back, so that means I enjoyed it.

Read everything here on the Norwegian board. Subscribe to all the posts, reviews and questions to the ships and destinations that interest you.

Study deck plans like crazy. Then read more here. Research research research.

We've been on a few Carnival ships but having taken our 1st NCL trip last year, we found NCL to be a better fit for us now. We felt it to be a definite step up for sure.

Go to ncl.com and explore the ships and destinations.

Good luck with whatever you choose!

~Robin

Every Day at Sea is a Great Day

If you like larger ships and are considering sailing from Florida in Feb 2016 I would choose the Escape. It is the ship NCL is currently building. It will be put in service on November 2015, so it will still be very new when you cruise on it. It looks like it will be an amazing ship with lots to do and several new venues that look great. If you book now before the end of February you will get you choice of the Ultimate Beverage package, the Ultimate Dining Package, or OBC. Kid also will sail free if that matter to you. If you sail in a suite you get all 3 offers.

As for jumping ship that is what my wife and I did. We used to sail RCCL and Carnival. We tried NCL and loved it. The freestyle concept really worked well for us. We love the food and the entertainment on NCL, and a live band on the pool deck is much better then the dj's that Carnival went to. I think you will really enjoy your trip, and should love the Escape.

6&8

Take that jump.

I have 22 Carnival - 4 NCL with 2 more NCL booked.

I've had it with Carnival. Never say never, but Carnival will have to come up with something exceptional for me to go back.

There is really nothing in particular that changed by mind about Carnival. I just got tired of the same old, same old.

NCL does it better IMO.

I was on the Splendor 2 weeks ago so I have a comparison...you will love NCL because: anytime dining means dine when you would like not, like CCL, when the tables next to you fills up and then we take your order. The Muster Drill on Splendor was "around 3:45 per Fun TImes" and lasted 45 mins. without any check off of names....NCL takes this very seriously - bars close, your cabin will be checked off, and you will not be there more than 20 mins.

Rather than Rap music played by a DJ by the pool, you will have a live band on sailaways and several days.

You will have live music at several places on NCL ships each night.

The shows will be much better on NCL. The cabins on CCL are nice.

Well we did it....... booked on the Escape this morning :D Couldnt pass it up when our rep from NCL called and said there was a "special" deal today, half price deposit plus we both get the drink package :D

Congrats! We are booked on the Escape as well. I'm sure it is going to be great! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Well we did it....... booked on the Escape this morning :D Couldnt pass it up when our rep from NCL called and said there was a "special" deal today, half price deposit plus we both get the drink package :D

I think you will enjoy the change in entertainment and food from CCL. We "jumped ship" after 16 in a row on CCL, and really enjoyed the differences. As you booked on their brand-new ship, I think you will really have a great time. We couldn't decide between Escape and Getaway for NYE, but decided Escape might just be a bit too big for us, and we loved the Breakaway, so booked her sister ship. Advice: if you can - when the entertainment bookings open (45 days before, I think it was) book your shows. Just makes it easier than having to do it on the ship, and having shows closed out on you. We loved the free-style dining concept, and especially O'Sheehans (24 hr pub/restaurant) and Howl at the Moon Dueling Piano bar. And if you want to dine in certain restaurants (we swore we would never pay extra for any restaurant on any cruise, but love Cagneys, Le Bistro, etc.) you can book those also in advance! We still do CCL, but actually seem to prefer NCL.

I have had 18 cruises on Carnival and have now made the switch to NCL. This month I did a b2b on Carnival Victory and NCL Sky which really highlighted how much better NCL was. For example priority embarkment on Carnival was 1 pm. Regular embarkment on NCL 11:30 am. Live band on Sky at the pool, not even a DJ on Carnival. Have sailed the Epic & Breakaway which were both great. Have 3 on Getaway and 1 on Escape already booked. You won't regret trying NCL. Cheers!

I think you will enjoy the change in entertainment and food from CCL. We "jumped ship" after 16 in a row on CCL, and really enjoyed the differences. As you booked on their brand-new ship, I think you will really have a great time. We couldn't decide between Escape and Getaway for NYE, but decided Escape might just be a bit too big for us, and we loved the Breakaway, so booked her sister ship. Advice: if you can - when the entertainment bookings open (45 days before, I think it was) book your shows. Just makes it easier than having to do it on the ship, and having shows closed out on you. We loved the free-style dining concept, and especially O'Sheehans (24 hr pub/restaurant) and Howl at the Moon Dueling Piano bar. And if you want to dine in certain restaurants (we swore we would never pay extra for any restaurant on any cruise, but love Cagneys, Le Bistro, etc.) you can book those also in advance! We still do CCL, but actually seem to prefer NCL.

Ok you got me here??? what do you mean book the shows????????? are they extra?? I really know nothing about NCL !!!

I have had 18 cruises on Carnival and have now made the switch to NCL. This month I did a b2b on Carnival Victory and NCL Sky which really highlighted how much better NCL was. For example priority embarkment on Carnival was 1 pm. Regular embarkment on NCL 11:30 am. Live band on Sky at the pool, not even a DJ on Carnival. Have sailed the Epic & Breakaway which were both great. Have 3 on Getaway and 1 on Escape already booked. You won't regret trying NCL. Cheers!

Thanks :p kind of anxious over making a change expecially when your so used to how one cruise line works ( and only one :p ) it will be interesting to see all the differences!!

Ok you got me here??? what do you mean book the shows????????? are they extra?? I really know nothing about NCL !!!

Some of the shows (The Cirque shows, Illusionarium) are extra - probably because they have food. Others are included, but can fill up, so you can make reservations.

If you reserve online ahead of time, you're done - otherwise, you have to do it on board, in a possibly long line, or go standby at the show itself, which depends on the number of people who reserved. People with reservations are seated first.

We book balconies as well as you have a nice sitting area. We prefer a cabin by the aft elevators as it's close to most things. We also try to get a deck that has cabins above and below for peace and quiet. It really is a personal preference though. Make sure you book in CDN dollars as the exchange rate is much better than the banks or credit cards.

Broadway-type shows on the Escape (Million Dollar Quartet, After Midnite, and another one - don't remember the name) can be reserved 45 days in advance under your booking. Specialty restaurants also. 1n 3 NCL cruises we have never once eaten in the dining rooms! We really enjoy the specialty restaurants, and the UDP (ultimate dining plan) lets you eat in one each evening - even 2 if you really want to!! As someone else said, if there is a Cirque show, or lllusionarium on board (don't know if there is on Escape) that is included for "free" if you book it for the first night. Otherwise, there is a $29 pp charge for the dinner show. You can book the comedians, dinners, restaurants, and broadway-type shows before to save the hassle of doing it on the ship. We plan out every evening - but we are big planners!