Record Your AFT Cabin Temperature!

ciship

Lots of complaints about cabin temperature being too hot and air conditioning not working.

Appears that mostly the AFT cabins are being affected and hearing this a LOT regarding the Dream (but not limited to).

This is a thread to record your cabin temperature if you have had an AFT cabin (basically midship to aft). Please also post what deck you were on.

There are various threads showing where people have taken photos of how hot it gets in their cabins even though the ships maintenance says it is ok (when you're sweating all through the night....it's NOT ok).

• 6 months later...

We recently were shocked to discover we had no control over our cabin temperature in our deck 7 aft cabin on the Carnival Valor. I sleep in 66-68 degrees year round and was miserable sleeping in 71-76 degrees on this cruise. Maintenance said 70-74 degrees is the standard---uggh! Should I book a cabin mid-fore ship on a cruise next time???

Several things to keep in mind...

The superstructure of the ship is metal, an excellent conductor of heat (and cold). Sitting in the tropics all day, sun blazing down, even a white surface will "pick up" considerable heat, 10 to 30 degrees above the ambient air temp.

Lee side of the ship- the ship will usually lay bow into the current. However, not always bow into the wind, and then there's the thruster/dynamic positioning station holding, and lastly being in the "wind shadow" of the rest of the ship. What you can sometimes have is a lee (windless) zone in various spots on deck. The wind turns the ship into a giant heat sink, no air moving across the ships surface greatly reduces the ability of the metal to dissipate heat.

Generally speaking, there is insulation behind the wallboard and the bulkhead, just like in basic house construction, specifically to combat this problem.

What this means is that your cabin a/c simply may not always be able to keep up. It might freeze you out at 0300 and have you sweating like a long tailed cat in a house full of rocking chairs at 1500.

With that said I carry a small fan and aim it directly at my head. I like it cold and I like my air moving. Without it, I'll go sleep out by the pool.

I was on the Liberty deck 8 in January and Triumph deck 6 in February. Both of my staterooms were too warm for me. I was so freakin' miserable in the first one that I ordered fan from Amazon for the second cruise. It helped immensely although I had to be right in front of it to benefit.

My frustration is that my vent was all the way open, but I basically had no climate control. At least if the room was too cool (please!!!) I could close the vent.

We just got off the Triumph two weeks ago where we were booked in AFT Cabin 7426. We didn't have an actual thermostat so-to-speak but two ceiling air vents that we could either close so no air came through or high where the air was blasting down on us. The temperature in our cabin felt like it ranged between 76 (uncomfortably hot) to the mid 60s (down right cold for someone living in South Louisiana).

I've been on a few afts, and it seems to make a difference if you keep the drapes closed during the day. Mind you I HAVE measured the temperature out on the balcony, and it is quite warm/hot out there during the day. I do like it cooler in the cabin, and so far I've been comfortable.

Maybe I've been fortunate.........:rolleyes:

If you really want this to have any meaning to Carnival in terms of expressing a "class action" note of displeasure, you need to record the air temperature coming out of the air vents as well as the cabin temperature.

The 70-74*F range is a hotel industry standard, and means that as long as the cabin is that temperature, Carnival will not consider any compensation.

If you really want this to have any meaning to Carnival in terms of expressing a "class action" note of displeasure, you need to record the air temperature coming out of the air vents as well as the cabin temperature.

The 70-74*F range is a hotel industry standard, and means that as long as the cabin is that temperature, Carnival will not consider any compensation.

I stay in hotels all year long and always keep the temp at 65 degrees. I have never been in a hotel that told me I had to keep the temp above 70.

Carnival should let their paying passengers decide what the right temperature is for them in their cabins. Some like it colder......some like it warmer.......but, let US decide!

I've been on five cruises, 3 ships and on different decks including an aft wrap on deck 9 of the Dream. All have had the same problem. About 5-7 degrees higher than we like. However, it has never been a deal breaker for us. Since we know about it and expect it, we adjust. I will try and check the temp in our Oceanview room on Elation in May. Curious to see if Oceanview temp is any different from balcony cabins.

I stay in hotels all year long and always keep the temp at 65 degrees. I have never been in a hotel that told me I had to keep the temp above 70.

Carnival should let their paying passengers decide what the right temperature is for them in their cabins. Some like it colder......some like it warmer.......but, let US decide!

Sorry, didn't mean to imply that you could not control the temperature. As I said, if you complain about the temperature, if it is within the industry standard, you won't gain any traction looking for compensation. The controls will allow you to set a temperature below the standard, but there is no guarantee that it will operate to the temperature you desire.

Since the colder you make a room, the more energy is used to make it cold, it is in the industry's interest to set a standard temperature that the majority of people find comfortable, and only guarantee performance to that standard.

Edited by chengkp75

When we stay in aft balcony cabins, we always pick aft wraps. One of the advantages is that there are two vents. I have not stayed in one where I have not had to raise the temperature (on the settings) due to it being too cool.

Seems like having drapes shut is a good thing to do.

Aft cabins are probably end of line for HVAC coupled with heat reflected back from balconies and not much air flow. Id still try one given the chance! 70-74 seems pretty fair IMHO.

Getting back to the original topic:

Are aft cabins warmer and therefore to be avoided by those of us liking it cold?

Is there a definitive answer?

Also, it seems a lot of Carnival customers are complaining about cabin temperature. Are Carnival cabins generally warmer than other cruise lines? If so, as a newer cruiser, I would rather choose another cruise line next time.

If all else fails in our attempts to find the coolest cabin, I see people have been able to borrow fans. I wonder how readily available they are. I certainly wouldn't want to bring my own as I see some do.

I had hopes of cruising more, but my travel partner and I both like it cold and had expected to chill the room out at least 68 degrees like we do in hotels. Anything over 70 is pushing it for us.

We had an aft wrap so can't speak to the aft cabins. Yes, I think Carnival cabins are warmer than we like normally. I like 68 or lower. However, I just don't remember being miserable on any of our cruises. Would be curious to hear others experience on other cruise lines.

• 1 month later...
Lots of complaints about cabin temperature being too hot and air conditioning not working.

Appears that mostly the AFT cabins are being affected and hearing this a LOT regarding the Dream (but not limited to).

This is a thread to record your cabin temperature if you have had an AFT cabin (basically midship to aft). Please also post what deck you were on.

There are various threads showing where people have taken photos of how hot it gets in their cabins even though the ships maintenance says it is ok (when you're sweating all through the night....it's NOT ok).

Update to post below about warm aft cabin Valor deck 7: My friend and I have been wondering if the problem in our aft cabin may have been due to our next door neighbor leaving their balcony door open in the evening. We noticed their door was open at least one evening. The temperature in the cabin would rise in the evening to 76 by midnight, then drop to low 70's by morning. Perhaps they closed the door at bedtime, thus enabling the air to cool. I have read some comments about open balcony doors causing a/c problems in an entire area. Another possibility is a maintenance issue as this boat was ready for dry docking. BTW, I'm curious how the a/c was on your previous Carnival cruises. Is this your first time in an aft cabin? We are still concerned about how to plan a future cruise because of potential a/c problems. My only experience was 9 years ago in a fore cabin, which was nice and cool, although no balcony which could have the abovementioned problem.

Update to post below about warm aft cabin Valor deck 7: My friend and I have been wondering if the problem in our aft cabin may have been due to our next door neighbor leaving their balcony door open in the evening. We noticed their door was open at least one evening. The temperature in the cabin would rise in the evening to 76 by midnight, then drop to low 70's by morning. Perhaps they closed the door at bedtime, thus enabling the air to cool. I have read some comments about open balcony doors causing a/c problems in an entire area. Another possibility is a maintenance issue as this boat was ready for dry docking. BTW, I'm curious how the a/c was on your previous Carnival cruises. Is this your first time in an aft cabin? We are still concerned about how to plan a future cruise because of potential a/c problems. My only experience was 9 years ago in a fore cabin, which was nice and cool, although no balcony which could have the abovementioned problem.

We have always had our cabins from midship to aft. Only once did we try a forward cabin and we just didn't like the location (but the room was very cold and just how we like it).

I just don't understand why people open their balcony doors and let in all that humidity and hot air??

Room 7203 Freedom last November. a 4j, forward window onto the not so secret forward deck 7. I actually dont know what my room temp ever was.

It was one of those forward rooms with a window that overlooks a forward deck. I was not in the room much at all, just to sleep, but did of course come back to it during the day for short times, to rest a bit, wash, change etc.

At night of course they make you close the curtains because the light from your room interferes with the bridge above, and of course I complied with this. In the morning I would open those drapes and look out, then get ready and go out for the day. When I came back to the room in the afternoon to change for dinner, it was very very warm and uncomfortable, yet the thermostat in the room was set to the coldest temp. I would go to dinner, then out and about the ship, and come back to the room late at night, to find it cool and comfortable.

By the third day aboard, I kept the curtains closed in the room all day, yet still the room was warm in the afternoon. Come back at midnight, the room was cool. LOL. Somehow, while the thermostat never was moved/changed, the temps miraculously adjusted from warm by day, to cooler by night, which worked for me, since I was only in the room to sleep.

edit to say...that even at night when the room was cooler,,,it was still too warm to enjoy that lovely duvet that they have on the beds. I slept mostly just under the sheet.

Edited by SMSACE6

We have stayed in several aft balcony cabins on the Sunshine and have found them to be pretty cool. Not as cool as I would like, but acceptable. You must keep the curtains closed during the heat of the day. We had an aft balcony on the Liberty and it was so hot we couldnt sleep and Carnival said the temp was acceptable at 74 degrees. There was no air coming from the ceiling vent. The Sunshine afts cabins have two a/c vents. I think that helps.

I think all CCL rooms are warmer than they used to be. I remember sleeping under the thick comforter and feeling nice and cool. The last few cruises I have slept under just a sheet and it was still a little warm for my blood. Not uncomfortable, but warmer than I like when I'm on vacation.