Record Your AFT Cabin Temperature!

ciship

Several things to keep in mind...

The superstructure of the ship is metal, an excellent conductor of heat (and cold). Sitting in the tropics all day, sun blazing down, even a white surface will "pick up" considerable heat, 10 to 30 degrees above the ambient air temp.

Lee side of the ship- the ship will usually lay bow into the current. However, not always bow into the wind, and then there's the thruster/dynamic positioning station holding, and lastly being in the "wind shadow" of the rest of the ship. What you can sometimes have is a lee (windless) zone in various spots on deck. The wind turns the ship into a giant heat sink, no air moving across the ships surface greatly reduces the ability of the metal to dissipate heat.

Generally speaking, there is insulation behind the wallboard and the bulkhead, just like in basic house construction, specifically to combat this problem.

What this means is that your cabin a/c simply may not always be able to keep up. It might freeze you out at 0300 and have you sweating like a long tailed cat in a house full of rocking chairs at 1500.

With that said I carry a small fan and aim it directly at my head. I like it cold and I like my air moving. Without it, I'll go sleep out by the pool.

I can remember the days on Carnival's ships when the cabins were always comfortably cool, and the thermostat actually allowed me to adjust the temperature. The capacity is there, but Carnival chooses to throttle it to save money. It doesn't take an engineering degree to understand that.

I cruised on HAL last month, and it was so nice to have a cabin again where the thermostat worked and I could keep the cabin temperature comfortable.

I was on an inside aft cabin on the Valor last month. The AC barely worked. My wife, whom is always cold, was actually sweating. It was almost unbearable. However, we called guest services and a nice maintenance AC worker came up and made a few adjustments the 2nd day. However, late that evening, it hot unbearably hot again. We called back guest services and the same AC person came buy and looked at the problem. He connected his computer to the AC system, and made some adjustments. Then, he took the cover off the vent for the rest of the cruise and the AC was fine. I am happy that they resolved my cabin issue because last year on the Dream they came to check the AC and said it was fine, and we suffered in our cabin for a week as it was way to hot. Have noticed in general after many Carnival sailings that indeed inside cabin temps have gone up. Our last couple of cruises on Royal Caribbean we're so cold that we actually had to set the temp to a warmer level. Thats the way I like it.

If Carnival is certainly limiting A/C, I will have to consider my next cruise on a different line. I wonder if this is becoming an industry measure or just a Carnival cost-cutting measure. In searching through various threads about cabin A/C, I do see complaints about warm temps on various cruise lines, but have not noticed anyone suggesting that it was a trend or deliberate attempt of that line to throttle A/C use.

OMG.... such a petty issue... I can't believe this is even being entertained... you are on a moving ship, not plugged into the power grid.... You realize this right?

Some people need to complain about something....I can guarantee if it was too cold, there would be a thread..

This quite possibly could be move of an issue concerning people not following the rules (as usual) and leaving their balcony doors open, causing the AC units on the ship to not be able to keep up. But, of course everyone is so quick to jump on the bandwagon and blame Carnival.

OMG.... such a petty issue... I can't believe this is even being entertained... you are on a moving ship, not plugged into the power grid.... You realize this right?

Some people need to complain about something....I can guarantee if it was too cold, there would be a thread..

*runs off to start a threat about cabins being too cold!* :p

Seriously though, I have always been a bit on the cool side while cruising, but you can't really go by me - my hubby says I start whining when the temp dips below 75 - total wuss for the cold! That being said - I have never been too hot or too cold while cruising...

• 8 months later...
I have been in an extended aft balcony on the Magic twice, once on deck 7 and once on deck 9. June and September respectively.

Both times had to adjust the cabin thermostat to higher than the original setting.

No complaints at all about being too hot!

We just booked an extended aft balcony on deck 7 of the Magic in May. You have any pics? :-)

I don't consider it a petty issue at all. It is very important for me to be cool enough to sleep, otherwise I toss and turn all night and get no sleep at all. I can deal with it being warmer than I keep at my own house (around 69) but if the temp wont go below 74 or so then that is just not comfortable. That is obviously not too out of line since Carnival seems to have the same standard with 74 being their high end.

We have been warm on our cruises but I have not had a night where I couldn't fall asleep. It has been a bit uncomfortable at times but any warmer and it would have been pretty bad. During the day we make sure to keep our blinds closed and we never leave our balcony door open. That seems to help. One time the steward opened our blinds (just trying to be nice and light up the room for us, I am sure) but we returned that evening to a much warmer room. It definitely makes a difference.

I think people leaving their balcony doors open are a huge problem and I wish more could be done about it.

I realize that this thread started a year ago, but it seems there is a pattern here. If you look at my signature you will see I can only compare between 2 lines. On both of our CCL cruises we had issues with the AC. Both our cabins were mid-ship, and always closed the curtain, nor do we drink a lot. These issues have nothing to do with the fact that we were in the Caribbean.

We have cruised the Caribbean on NCL several times, and never had problems with their AC, if anything, it was far better. This is an observation, nothing else.

I like cooler temps myself, and hope I don't have any issues when I sail on the Magic in April in an aft extended balcony. I will certainly keep the curtains closed during the day and possibly bring a fan.

I will say, my first cruise was on the Magic, mid ship balcony. Not as cool as I'd like it in that room, but not nearly uncomfortable. No complaints.

Second cruise, inside room on Elation. It was WARM! But before we ever got around to calling about it, a repair man showed up (let himself in as we were taking a short nap, not a problem but scared us!), worked on it and we never had an issue.

I seen someone posted how the ship is not on any electrical grid, so I definitely keep that in mind when sailing. I do keep the thermostat at the coolest temp, but I can't say I've experienced a problem in two cruises. I'll report back on the aft room after our honeymoon is over!!

We had an aft facing cabin on the Breeze in January. We always kept our AC at the coolest set point. Our experience with the temperature seemed to vary with the temperature outside. If it was really hot outside, it was not very cool in our room, but on our way back to Miami, when the weather was not so good, it was cooler and it got to be absolutely freezing in our room.

We are not the kinds of people who leave the balcony door open, so it can't be blamed on that. I just think the cabin AC's can't keep up with the heat and the sun pouring into the rooms.

Several things to keep in mind...

The superstructure of the ship is metal, an excellent conductor of heat (and cold). Sitting in the tropics all day, sun blazing down, even a white surface will "pick up" considerable heat, 10 to 30 degrees above the ambient air temp.

Lee side of the ship- the ship will usually lay bow into the current. However, not always bow into the wind, and then there's the thruster/dynamic positioning station holding, and lastly being in the "wind shadow" of the rest of the ship. What you can sometimes have is a lee (windless) zone in various spots on deck. The wind turns the ship into a giant heat sink, no air moving across the ships surface greatly reduces the ability of the metal to dissipate heat.

Generally speaking, there is insulation behind the wallboard and the bulkhead, just like in basic house construction, specifically to combat this problem.

What this means is that your cabin a/c simply may not always be able to keep up. It might freeze you out at 0300 and have you sweating like a long tailed cat in a house full of rocking chairs at 1500.

With that said I carry a small fan and aim it directly at my head. I like it cold and I like my air moving. Without it, I'll go sleep out by the pool.

Those of us that have been cruising Carnival for a while can tell you they have the capability to freeze you out when it's hot outside, but Carnival now throttles air conditioning in cabins to save money. The A/C control on the wall of your cabin is useless. I cruised on HAL last year and one thing I enjoyed a lot was having a thermostat in my cabin that actually worked. It was so nice to be cool and comfortable in my cabin like the old days on Carnival.

I am a balcony door open at night sleeper :) I have been on 8 cruises, all kinds of locations--aft, lido , midship, cove. Never noticed any temp issues. Everyone is different. If you like it cooler, close your curtains and bring a fan. I like to hear the ocean and have that fresh air coming in at night, so I prop the balcony door open while I sleep. I never ever touch the thermostat in the room

Those of us that have been cruising Carnival for a while can tell you they have the capability to freeze you out when it's hot outside, but Carnival now throttles air conditioning in cabins to save money. The A/C control on the wall of your cabin is useless. I cruised on HAL last year and one thing I enjoyed a lot was having a thermostat in my cabin that actually worked. It was so nice to be cool and comfortable in my cabin like the old days on Carnival.

My only other cruise was with Carnival 9 years ago and there wasn't a problem with the a/c. I have been wondering if Carnival is in fact cutting back on the a/c.

• 2 months later...

Sailed the Magic last week, had an aft extended balcony on deck 6 and am pleased to report that the temperature was COLD!! First, we brought a fan and left it on constantly. Then I put an old S&S card in the electric slot so the AC didn't shut off. Turned it to the coolest setting immediately, kept the balcony curtain closed most of the time and the room never got close to being warm. Evenings had to be around 65 degrees easily. It was wonderful!

We were on the Liberty last week with an aft. It was never too hot in the cabin. And it was HOT outside. There were some times we turned the a/c down because it was too chilly in the room. We brought a fan but I need it for the noise at night.