wi-fi on adroid tablets or phones?

phoenix_dream

I found a thread on this from a couple years ago but nothing recent. I know Celebrity is all about Apple products. But my tablet is Samsung and Android. Will I be able to connect to the Celebrity internet wi-fi on my tablet? Years ago, back in my Kindle days, we were able to do so. Then Celebrity created their alliance with Apple and we were told we could only connect with Apple products, and would have to use the computers in the lounge. That was quite some time ago. What is the story now? It was frustrating to have to go to the ilounge to view emails. It is even more frustrating now that we have reached Elite+ level and have lots of internet minutes available to us. Recent experiences only please and thanks in advance for any input.

You can connect any WiFi enabled device on board. One at a time per account. The computers in the lounge are faster than connecting via WiFi in my experience.

Glad you are Elite+ as you are likely to need all those minutes and more.

My Samsung Note 4 connects just fine.

Whoever told you only Apple products could connect to the WiFi didn't know what they were talking about. Heck - One of the IT Managers on one of the ships that we keep in contact with (similar interests) uses a Samsung on board all the time.

Also, while they use Apple products in the lounge, and sell Apple products, the staff uses Windows based computers for their jobs.

I found a thread on this from a couple years ago but nothing recent. I know Celebrity is all about Apple products. But my tablet is Samsung and Android. Will I be able to connect to the Celebrity internet wi-fi on my tablet? Years ago, back in my Kindle days, we were able to do so. Then Celebrity created their alliance with Apple and we were told we could only connect with Apple products, and would have to use the computers in the lounge. That was quite some time ago. What is the story now? It was frustrating to have to go to the ilounge to view emails. It is even more frustrating now that we have reached Elite+ level and have lots of internet minutes available to us. Recent experiences only please and thanks in advance for any input.

Guests can connect wirelessly (using their own device) anywhere on all ships, all Decks, forward and aft, including most staterooms (wi-fi signals may not reach all staterooms). Devices are not required to be Apple branded.

Due to the nature of our maritime satellite Internet connection, applications such as VPN, Remote Access and VOIP (including Skype®) are not supported and may or may not work.

If I were Celebrity, I would have taken the opportunity to talk about the new and improved internet being installed on ships currently, rather than quote the website.

And I'm not a marketing person.

IMO nothing wrong with staying on topic and answering the question. It is good for Celebrity to have a consistent common response.

I exclusively used my Galaxy S4 on the Constellation a few weeks ago on wifi with no issues whatsoever, except for the one instance where I accidentally closed the browser and couldn't log out. the iLounge gladly reimbursed me for the five minutes of extra use :)

My Samsung Note 4 connects just fine.

Whoever told you only Apple products could connect to the WiFi didn't know what they were talking about. Heck - One of the IT Managers on one of the ships that we keep in contact with (similar interests) uses a Samsung on board all the time.

Also, while they use Apple products in the lounge, and sell Apple products, the staff uses Windows based computers for their jobs.

Hey Algebralovr, did you happen to use the Note4 mobile phone to make any WIFI calls on board also? If so, did it work? Thanks in advance!

Guests can connect wirelessly (using their own device) anywhere on all ships, all Decks, forward and aft, including most staterooms (wi-fi signals may not reach all staterooms). Devices are not required to be Apple branded.

Due to the nature of our maritime satellite Internet connection, applications such as VPN, Remote Access and VOIP (including Skype®) are not supported and may or may not work.

Does the WIFI on the Summit permit one to make calls on the WIFI network with your mobile call? Thanks in advance!

On our last cruise in Nov. on the Connie, I only took my smartphone because it was a short cruise. It is an LG operating on the Android system. Since we are Elite, we each got 90 min. of internet usage. Overall, I was actually happy with the speed and ease of connection. I had plenty of time to check my e-mail and a few things on the internet from our cabin. I even was able to check into Southwest to secure boarding positions 24 hours to departure. Then I went upstairs to the internet lounge and was able to log into their computers (Apple) and print out the boarding passes.

Internet on the Millennium in Asia is almost impossible to use. We had our freebie elite minutes but it took about 10 minutes to even download a few emails and browsing was a complete no no. I went to the I lounge to check if there was a problem and was told it was because the connection came from the UK and was very weak ! So glad we didn't buy any extra minutes or would have demanded my money back.

I have a Verizon tablet that I take on every cruise. Have never had a problem connecting. Worked better than my wifes I-Pad.

You can always try the convenient times of 2am-5am. The connection is generally pretty good between these times.
Agreed... after 2nd feeding and the evening show.... Night owls get the benefit of decent internet speeds.

If I were Celebrity, I would have taken the opportunity to talk about the new and improved internet being installed on ships currently, rather than quote the website.

And I'm not a marketing person.

Except that the roll-out of the new internet is, according to the IT person on Millennium last week, "a long way from all the ships."

It is called under promise and over deliver (if possible), rather than the other way around.

My wife had no problem connecting her Samsung S4 via wifi. There was some issues logging off at times, to 'stop the clock'.

We mostly used my Blackberry, however, as it is neither iPhone or Android, and wifi turned out to be unlimited and free.

Thank you for your response. Much appreciated.

Thanks all for your responses. I didn't see a reason why it would not work, but it has been awhile since I tried. The instance I referred to in my original post was many years ago, and at that time it definitely would not work on my Kindle. The staff in the computer lounge (it was not officially the I-lounge back then I don't think) told us it would no longer work on anything other than Apple products and refused to try to help us. I am not all that tech savvy, but had my 20-something son on board with us and he could not get it going either so I suspect at the time that was a true statement (again, a number of years ago).

I had not really tried since then, but now that I have a nice tablet, and now that DH is retiring and won't have his work cellphone with international coverage, I wanted to make sure I could connect via the tablet rather than having to go to the I-lounge.

So related question - subject of course to internet speed (or lack thereof), are there any instant messaging apps that can be used on board on Android devices?

Except that the roll-out of the new internet is, according to the IT person on Millennium last week, "a long way from all the ships."

It is called under promise and over deliver (if possible), rather than the other way around.

Good point