Don't forget to pack this... black light stain detector!

Kstofflet

We just got back from the Breeze (6/1 to 6/6) sailing to Key West, Grand Cayman and Cozumel. I won't go into a full review as there are PLENTY of phenomenal reviews

available with a complete photo journey of the ship and this itinerary. Gambee has a great one out there. However, I do want to mention that on day 1, when we arrived at our

stateroom (2281) the room steward was caught off guard when we entered the room and told us he was not ready for us. We asked if it was ok for us to place our carry ons in

the room and that we would come back. He agreed. We are platinum with Carnival and one of the perks is we can enter the room upon boarding the ship ... similar to FTTF,

hence why we came to the room early. Therefore, we left to give him more time by grabbing lunch on the lido deck. We came back at 1:30. The room looked made up.

However there was still debri on the floor (a left over cigar butt, some candy wrappers, and paper). We left again and came back at 2:30. The room looked "done". Our

luggage arrived and as we placed them on the bed to unpack I noticed that the sheets were really soiled. It looked like blood. However, in my mind I believe it was the

chocolate candy. Let's just go with that. At that time I freaked out and told my husband that this is completely unacceptable. I was ready to head to make a formal complaint,

but my husband went and hunted down the room steward. He changed the sheets... so we think. Our roll call for this cruise also has Facebook page. I placed this on the page

as a wrap up to cruise along with our over all impressions. One of my fellow cruise mates ALSO stated that they had soiled sheets and had what looked like fresh BLOOD

stains on their sheets on day one. And their cabin was just three doors down from ours. So going forward, I will invest in a battery operated black light stain detector and will

make it very visible.

Edited by Kstofflet

Okay, on one of our cruises, my sister was recovering from chemo.

She fell asleep without noticing the chocolates. When she woke in the morning, there was chocolate all over her sheets. She was VERY embarrassed and spent several minutes explaining this to the steward. So it could have been chocolate. :D

So going forward, I will invest in a battery operated black light stain detector and will make it very visible.

You will NEVER be able to go anywhere if you go searching for stains. As someone who travels for a living, trust me, you don't want to open that pandora's box. Old, invisible stains are everywhere, even at the finest, most upscale establishments. And while its smart to do what you can to sanitize and limit germ exposure, there's little harm in caked in, set in stains that may be picked up by a black light. You're better off NOT knowing that those stains are there.

If I see that there are obvious usage remnants of other people on my sheets/in my room/cabin when I travel I have the sheets changed immediately. However, I'd rather be naive when it comes to stains found with a black light! Will not resort to that step. :p

You will NEVER be able to go anywhere if you go searching for stains. As someone who travels for a living, trust me, you don't want to open that pandora's box. Old, invisible stains are everywhere, even at the finest, most upscale establishments. And while its smart to do what you can to sanitize and limit germ exposure, there's little harm in caked in, set in stains that may be picked up by a black light. You're better off NOT knowing that those stains are there.

I agree with you for once lol ;) you could go to the finest 5 star hotel in the world and would be able to find something that would gross you out with a black light. Just think about the carpet which is not cleaned after every visit just vacuumed. Just think of all the nasty stuff you are walking on. As you said you could be opening a Pandora's box.

Also keep in mind that, whatever stained the sheets (blood, coffee, whatever) didn't stop at the sheets. It also would have soaked through to the mattress. So does that mean that, if you detect stains with a black light, are you going to have your mattress changed as well as the sheets? As others have said, leave the black light at home. Obviously, if you come across something that is unacceptable, ask that it be taken care of, but be reasonable. Don't go looking for things you really don't want to see (or think about).

I don't know if any of you remember a poster who used to be on Cruise Critic. She claimed she was a cop and always bought a black light with her. She would use it in her cabin, photograph the results and post the pictures here on CC.

Her motive was to stir up trouble and she always wanted compensation from the cruise lines.

She was banned from cruising at least one line (Royal Caribbean) and her name is probably on a list somewhere for other lines.

We have not yet went on a cruise with our granddaughter, but she is very allergic to peanuts and tree nuts. When we took her to a Disney Hotel for a week, we called and explained our situation and asked for the room to be deep cleaned before our arrival. They cleaned carpets, all bedding and thoroughly wiped down all surfaces. Our daughter worked as an operations manager for a major hotel chain and said while they change sheets, they do not change the covers over the sheets between guests. We left a note requesting they help us keep her safe by washing their hands before they touched anything in our room. Of course, we left a very generous tip each day. Sometimes there is a reason people have to be a little obsessive about cleanliness. For just my husband and I, most hotel rooms/cruise ship rooms are fine.

We just got back from the Breeze (6/1 to 6/6) sailing to Key West, Grand Cayman and Cozumel. I won't go into a full review as there are PLENTY of phenomenal reviews

available with a complete photo journey of the ship and this itinerary. Gambee has a great one out there. However, I do want to mention that on day 1, when we arrived at our

stateroom (2281) the room ste

ward was caught off guard when we entered the room and told us he was not ready for us. We asked if it was ok for us to place our carry ons in

the room and that we would come back. He agreed. We are platinum with Carnival and one of the perks is we can enter the room upon boarding the ship ... similar to FTTF,

hence why we came to the room early. Therefore, we left to give him more time by grabbing lunch on the lido deck. We came back at 1:30. The room looked made up.

However there was still debri on the floor (a left over cigar butt, some candy wrappers, and paper). We left again and came back at 2:30. The room looked "done". Our

luggage arrived and as we placed them on the bed to unpack I noticed that the sheets were really soiled. It looked like blood. However, in my mind I believe it was the

chocolate candy. Let's just go with that. At that time I freaked out and told my husband that this is completely unacceptable. I was ready to head to make a formal complaint,

but my husband went and hunted down the room steward. He changed the sheets... so we think. Our roll call for this cruise also has Facebook page. I placed this on the page

as a wrap up to cruise along with our over all impressions. One of my fellow cruise mates ALSO stated that they had soiled sheets and had what looked like fresh BLOOD

stains on their sheets on day one. And their cabin was just three doors down from ours. So going forward, I will invest in a battery operated black light stain detector and will

make it very visible.

Before anyone shines a black light on a public room, I always suggest to do it on their own rooms in their house. What they even see there would make them move out of their own houses.

How silly this all is

Simply put. If you walk into a hotel or stateroom and the sheets are not clean you immediately request/ demand that they be changed

I doubt you will ever get an argument from housekeeping on that. I mean come on now

Edited by Crusin6

How silly this all is

Simply put. If you walk into a hotel or stateroom and the sheets are not clean you immediately request/ demand that they be changed

I doubt you will ever get an argument from housekeeping on that. I mean come on now

Or if you think they may not have been changed, just call and ask for freshly washed sheets.

Oh, I have found dirty bed linens in some pretty nice places.

I always check when I first walk into a room.