Very cheap cruises...

I'm seeing very cheap cruises for the next couple of months. Not only on Royal Caribbean, but on HAL (from $349 for 1 week Caribbean) Princess ($399 on the brand new Regal) and Celebrity (from $399 on the Reflection)and I can keep going and going. Is it because there is too much inventory (shortly) when all the ships start coming back from Europe & Alaska or because the oil prices are going down?

I'm seeing very cheap cruises for the next couple of months. Not only on Royal Caribbean, but on HAL (from $349 for 1 week Caribbean) Princess ($399 on the brand new Regal) and Celebrity (from $399 on the Reflection)and I can keep going and going. Is it because there is too much inventory (shortly) when all the ships start coming back from Europe & Alaska or because the oil prices are going down?

That is exactly it. Too many berths in the Caribbean based on prior years bookings.

Ah, to be retired, or.. if my DW had a good job NOT in the school system.. I'd be cruising twice as much during the low price seasons. I look forward to that day, and envy those who are now doing it.

The cruise industry seemed to be doing a good job

of eliminating, for the most part, the way you would get better deals on

cruises if you could wait until closer to the sail date. They almost

seemed to stick together on this philosophy to change the pricing

structure.

The last couple of years the industry seems to be slipping back to

giving better deals if you can wait until after final payment is due.

Even though this is a slow season there are even great deals on Thanksgiving

cruises now that we are within final payment.

It has to be a hard balancing act for the cruise lines but good

for the consumer that can wait.

I was just doing some price checking just out of curiosity (and boredom) on the Enchantment for December and saw that the 4 nighters are cheaper than the 3 nighters and there is alot of cabin availability.

This happens quite often since the 4 night requires most people

to miss a week of work. More demand for the 3 nighters.

I am thinking about taking a november cruise next year too espically if they are this cheap again.

Plus it is hurricane season too so you never know what you are going to run into. Another reason why its cheaper

Edited by trev71

Our 11/29 on Explorer just had another price drop and appears to have a lot of cabins available - does this increase the likelihood of a visit from the upgrade fairy??? :rolleyes: Sure hope so ... :p

Edited by ramja96

One dec a few years ago Iread that Mos 109$ checked flts still had 7 days 99$ round trip NY to Fla.My wife and I where cruising 4nts and flying for less than 500$.1miss calculation was car service to and from airport cost me 160$ didn't know about cc then and had no idea a cab would have been 20$ ea way LOL.We had to callin sick 2days It was last minute and totally spontaneous.Love cheap cruises.On the other hand have done Oasis and allure which are never cheap.

Nope. hurricane season ends Nov 1, and I'm talking specifically about Nov/Dec.

According to the US National Hurricane Center and Wikipedia that season in the Atlantic ends Nov.30th.

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlantic_hurricane_season

We're looking at a Vision cruise in January and its price for us, with senior discount, just dropped to $389 for a K inside that is not a gty so you can select your cabin. There's lots of availability for that cruise. Next month insides are $289 PP with senior discount.

Edited by robtulipe

According to the US National Hurricane Center and Wikipedia that season in the Atlantic ends Nov.30th.

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlantic_hurricane_season

We're looking at a Vision cruise in January and its price for us, with senior discount, just dropped to $389 for a K inside that is not a gty so you can select your cabin. There's lots of availability for that cruise. Next month insides are $289 PP with senior discount.

Worldwide, tropical cyclone activity peaks in late summer, when the difference between temperatures aloft and sea surface temperatures is the greatest. However, each particular basin has its own seasonal patterns. On a worldwide scale, May is the least active month, while September is the most active.[1] In the Northern Atlantic Ocean, a distinct hurricane season occurs from June 1 to November 30, sharply peaking from late August through September;[1] the season's climatological peak of activity occurs around September 10 each season.[2]

Caribbean is not in the North Atlantic.

But most hurricanes in the Caribbean start in the North Atlantic before entering that sea. The NHC basically classify hurricane as Atlantic and Eastern Pacific ones in their advisories. :rolleyes:

Edited by robtulipe

Hmmm, it might not be the first place one pictures as "North Atlantic",but still...

Isn't the North Atlantic that part of the Atlantic north of the Equator (by definition)? And isn't the Caribbean is north of the Equator? So, isn't the Caribbean Sea part of the North Atlantic Ocean?

Captains have told me during their daily announcements that I am in the Northern Atlantic Ocean then continued to give details and or coordinates, etc.

Have a nice day.

But most hurricanes in the Caribbean start in the North Atlantic before entering that sea. The NHC basically classify hurricane as Atlantic and Eastern Pacific ones in their advisories. :rolleyes:

Actually Historically most Atlantic Hurricanes start in Mid Atlantic coming off the coast of west Africa as tropical waves and head in a west to north west position (Most Times). North Atlantic waters are still to cool in Hurricane season for hurricanes to actually start there.. Most Hurricanes actually die off and return to tropical depressions or tropical waves as they eventually get to far north where the waters are to cool.

My December cruise on Allure has dropped around $1,000 since final payment. You can get a neighborhood stateroom for around $750 pp! Oh well, last year I booked after final payment and got a killer deal:) This year we are traveling with other families and did not want to risk prices going higher so I am at peace.

Hoping that some D1's open up on our sailing and I can slide right into one of those...

Edited by Wilda

Actually Historically most Atlantic Hurricanes start in Mid Atlantic coming off the coast of west Africa as tropical waves and head in a west to north west position (Most Times). North Atlantic waters are still to cool in Hurricane season for hurricanes to actually start there.. Most Hurricanes actually die off and return to tropical depressions or tropical waves as they eventually get to far north where the waters are to cool.

The Mid Atlantic is the section of that ocean, both in the North and South Atlantic, midway between the Americas and Europe/Africa and not just the area of that ocean near the equator. The Mid Atlantic Ridge is located there which is a divergent tectonic plate boundary located along the floor of that ocean and part of the longest mountain range in the world.

Typically most tropical storms and hurricanes develop in eastern areas of the tropical North Atlantic or as you mentioned off the west coast of North Africa.

As Starry Eyes stated all of that ocean north of the equator (by definition) is the North Atlantic Ocean :D

Go to http://www.weather.com/outlook/weather-news/hurricanes/articles/hurricane-origins-tracks_2010-05-24

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQGOmSb0uuSqD69Mw-iFcVuRjCh0MROaxqgM7S0S4rWIeAjHMJM

Edited by robtulipe

Peak hurricane season for the entire North Atlantic region (Gulf, Caribbean, Atlantic) is August and September. September sees on average 7-8 named storms per year. October averages 2, and November 1. The dropoff point actually occurs in September, after the Autumnal Equinox, when sea temperatures begin dropping and wind shear increases. In other words, it's the start of Fall.