what time should I arrive at FLL pier for cruise this Sat?

sandiego1

We are flying in on the red eye Fri night and arriving FLL at 6:00AM on Sat :( (Had no choice, couldn't take another vacation day). Our cruise is on the Eurodam.

We booked a hotel room at the Hyatt Regency Pier 66 to have a short nap and freshen up before embarkation. We need to be out of the room by Noon at the latest. I believe the ship leaves at 4PM. We'd like to sleep for as long as possible, but ensure we have sufficient time for the embarkation process.

What time is the best time to arrive at the pier to minimize the wait for embarkation? Since we have a rental car, I will drop my husband off at the pier w/ the luggage, then I will return the car and take the shuttle back.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

In our experience the busiest time at the pier is from about 11:30 to 12:30, and would check out of the hotel around 11:30 - 11:45. I think a rental car would be more trouble than it's worth, and would just use cabs or Uber/Lyft.

The car rental is only $31 incl all fees which is cheaper than cabs everywhere. We have Hertz Gold so it's a quick rental pickup. Plus we want to go to the wine store on our way to the pier.

Not exactly. Your cab will be less than $20 (before tip) airport to hotel, and maybe $15 (if traffic is heavy) to the ship. Plus you have gas for the rental car, and your time. I agree with the others, forget the car.

Have you requested late check-out at the Hyatt? They cannot confirm it too far ahead but possibly when you check in they can let you know if it is possible. If you are Hyatt Gold Passport members you might also have a better chance, if your are not already a member it is easy to join on-line. I agree with others about the car because taxis are so inexpensive and getting to a store for wine will also be easy. I also agree with Copper 10-8 about having a relaxing morning/early afternoon at the hotel and getting to the pier after the rush. That is what we like to do. Cherie

The car rental is only $31 incl all fees which is cheaper than cabs everywhere. We have Hertz Gold so it's a quick rental pickup. Plus we want to go to the wine store on our way to the pier.

A cab from the airport to the hotel will run $12 - $18 and a cab to the pier at the most is $8 (unless things have changed dramatically). You can either a) walk to Total Wine from Hyatt Place or you can pre-order and just pick it up. Just in case it helps ;)

If check out is at noon, leave then and head to the port. Most of the rush will be over, but like cat133, I agree the worst is normally over by 12:30.

You shouldn't have to face too much.

Gas will be <$5 - probably only 1, maybe 2 gallons. So total $36 vs $35 + at least $7 in tips for cab. So the cost is within a few dollars for each option.

We also will go out to bkfast on our way to hotel (store luggage in car). So for bkfast, Total Wine and supermarket.drug store trips (to pick up some liquid items that we can't fit in our 3oz TSA bags), it's a lot easier for us to have the rental. Plus not have to wait for cabs or deal w/ luggage while we are shopping/bkfast.

But thanks for the advice on the arrival time. What is the latest embarkation time?

You're in luck. Broward County and Fort Lauderdale just relaxed their Sunday alcohol sales laws. A year ago and you would have been out of luck unless you waited until the afternoon.

Gas will be <$5 - probably only 1, maybe 2 gallons. So total $36 vs $35 + at least $7 in tips for cab. So the cost is within a few dollars for each option.

We also will go out to bkfast on our way to hotel (store luggage in car). So for bkfast, Total Wine and supermarket.drug store trips (to pick up some liquid items that we can't fit in our 3oz TSA bags), it's a lot easier for us to have the rental. Plus not have to wait for cabs or deal w/ luggage while we are shopping/bkfast.

But thanks for the advice on the arrival time. What is the latest embarkation time?

I believe you need to be checked in 90 minutes prior to the scheduled departure. You need to be in attendance at the muster/life boat drill.

What is the latest embarkation time?
You must be on board for the muster drill, which is normally 45 min before sailing. Some people may tell you that the deadline is 90 min before sailing, but that's not true if you have completed the OnLine CheckIn. I would still recommend that 90 min is a good target latest time in case of any delays.

We are staying at Hyatt Regency, not Hyatt Place. It's <1.5 miles, but neither of us want to walk it carrying several bottles of wine :-)

We are arriving Sat morning, not Sunday, so no issue buying the wine.

DH is Hyatt Diamond so we should be able to get late check-out if the hotel isn't full.

Thanks for the advice.

Be sure to double check about a shuttle to the port from the rental car location. I thought we'd be able to take one earlier this month, but the woman at the airport who checked us in when we returned the car said they had discontinued offering that service when Alamo got a location there.

... walk it carrying several bottles of wine :-)

You are aware that HAL's policy is now just one corkage-free bottle per adult, right? And if you are willing to pay the $18 corkage, you can bring more on at every port, so all you need to haul on embarkation day is enough to get you to the first port. :)

I have confirmed the shuttle from Hertz (not at airport) to the pier. And yes, I know the $18 corkage fee. Totally worth it to get better wine in the dining room!

The ports kinda stink for our cruise - but that's not why we're going. So no place to shop for a decent bottle of wine while on the cruise.

We are staying at Hyatt Regency, not Hyatt Place. It's <1.5 miles, but neither of us want to walk it carrying several bottles of wine :-)

We are arriving Sat morning, not Sunday, so no issue buying the wine.

DH is Hyatt Diamond so we should be able to get late check-out if the hotel isn't full.

Thanks for the advice.

Not to mention that you'll probably wear down the wheels on your luggage. You're closer to 3 miles away if you are walking. I'm reasonably familiar with the area.

If I had to return a rental car, I'd drop my luggage and the rest of my party at the terminal. Then, I'd head out the airport side of the port. After returning my car, I'd get in the cab line at FLL. (Go across the street to the terminal.) Then I'd catch a taxi to the port with my ID and carry on. I'd plan to meet the rest of my party at the room or in the Lido. Make sure you each have a copy of the boarding pass.

If I had to return a rental car, I'd drop my luggage and the rest of my party at the terminal. Then, I'd head out the airport side of the port. After returning my car, I'd get in the cab line at FLL. (Go across the street to the terminal.) Then I'd catch a taxi to the port with my ID and carry on. I'd plan to meet the rest of my party at the room or in the Lido. Make sure you each have a copy of the boarding pass.

The Hertz return isn't at the airport. It's on SW 24th St.

As I wrote in my original post, I will drop my husband off at the pier w/ the luggage, then I will return the car and take the shuttle back.

It sounds like you have done your homework. Just don't worry about getting to the port early. We have stayed at the Hyatt Pier 66 several times and love relaxing around the pool before heading to the port. I don't know about you, but a bit north of you we have not had a very warm winter and a Caribbean cruise sounds fabulous. Have a great time, Cherie

p.s. There is a Walgreens just as you turn into the port area where we have picked up wine and last minute things if you need anything.

I am a check-in agent for HAL and work the Eurodam every Saturday. As has been previously mentioned, normally by 1:30 to 2:00 pm the lines are gone as approx. 90-95% of the guests have checked on and are on board. There is a mandatory muster drill around 3:00 to 3:15 so be sure to be checked in by then. Good Luck!

Sorry about the Sunday thing.

I also made the mistake of thinking that you would have used the Hertz location at 600 Terminal Dr inside the airport. That would have been my call, but red eye plus off-site car rental will definitely help you to enjoy the relaxation of the cruise.

I've done B2Bs and sat in the Port Everglades terminal on their free WiFi a couple of times. The check-in line is virtually gone after 1pm. The place is vacant by 2pm.

I think I'd plan to leave the hotel by 1pm, make your stops at the stores, drop DH and luggage at terminal, drop car at Hertz, shuttle back to ship.... you should be at the terminal by 2:15 or 2:30 to check in. Well in time for muster drill and allows a bit of contingency.

Sounds like a plan to me! Enjoy, m--

My 2 cents; beat the rush; have lunch at the hotel; forget the rental; arrive at the pier around 1:30-2:00 PM

Hi Copper 10!!!

Take his advise as well as mine!!! Dump the rental car more trouble than it is worth!

Same thing here Husband is Hertz Gold but a pain in the you know what for return!

Take it easy! 1-2 arriving is perfect to get on board.

Denise:)