Aft Aqua stateroom balconies (Deck 11) on M-class

vedettes1

• 2 weeks later...

We had 1138 on Millie for Alaska and chose it over a suite to have those views!!!! The cabin size is not large - cramped for me actually but that balcony - which we used all the time - well worth it!!!!! Plus so convenient to run down the stair to the bar.

We had 1138 on the Summit deck 11. This is the balcony before sailing.

Pina%20Colada%20first%20day_zps8mvvedt9.jpg

And this is why you want it while sailing.

Sunset%20heading%20into%20Bermuda%20w%20Pina_zpses1w7i5h.jpg

Pina%20Colada%20enjoying%20the%20view_zpsiu9decq8.jpg

I've seen some comments about the pigeon. What's the story? Is he only on board for the Bermuda trips?

Edited by capsplace
Add a question

Any interior pictures?

I don't have pics, but the rooms are exactly like any other AQ rooms on those ships.

One small downside, you will get noise from the bar at the aft of the ship, including music sometimes. This may or may not matter to you.

You also get more motion that far back in the ship - you may or may not care about that.

I personally don't like the aft facing cabins due to the noise and my propensity to motion sickness, but have sailed a few times in 1110, which is near the back, has a slightly larger balcony, and is in a great location. Still more motion that cabins on 9, but less than aft and more quiet.

I've seen some comments about the pigeon. What's the story? Is he only on board for the Bermuda trips?

The pigeon, according to the head sunset bar bartender was named Pina Colada by the crew. I called it a he, my spousal unit called it a she. The pigeon boarded in Bermuda about a month before our cruise and remained the entire time. I hear "she" left just before the last Bermuda sailing but I can't verify that. She liked 1138 and during the day dropped down one deck to grab food from the people who fed her. She spent the night either on the end of the bar canopy or on our deck/railing. We considered her our third cabin mate. She napped with my SU before we sailed if you look closely at the first photo.

We had 1130 on a recent sailing and moved the large table next to the panel by the stairs so that we could reach round and put the drinks (and food) down on the table before coming back through the door on way to the cabin

We had 1140 on the Infinity. The flag was there but not much of a problem. We didn't notice the noise from the bar all that much. These are great rooms to drop down to get something from the buffet or a drink from the bar. We did notice soot from time but mentioned it to the cabin attendent and he took care of it.

Just scored 1138 on Summit for August. Moved from 1133. Can't wait!

Hope you have calm waters. Otherwise, be prepared to try and stop the squeak in the ceiling/wall joint across from the bed. Also, bring duct tape to hold the cabinets and drawers shut. We had an extremely rough night on our Canada/NE cruise last fall. But even in relatively calm waters that wall/ceiling squeak kept me awake. I could tell that many occupants before me had tried and failed to stop that squeak. Anyway, it is a great balcony. Hope you like listening to the movie from the rooftop terrace.

If you can't tell, I have soured on deck 11 A1's since the addition of the rooftop terrace.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Hope you have calm waters. Otherwise, be prepared to try and stop the squeak in the ceiling/wall joint across from the bed. Also, bring duct tape to hold the cabinets and drawers shut. We had an extremely rough night on our Canada/NE cruise last fall. But even in relatively calm waters that wall/ceiling squeak kept me awake. I could tell that many occupants before me had tried and failed to stop that squeak. Anyway, it is a great balcony. Hope you like listening to the movie from the rooftop terrace.

If you can't tell, I have soured on deck 11 A1's since the addition of the rooftop terrace.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Thanks for the advice.

If you have 1141 on the infinity, make sure you bring duct tape and a bungee cord with you. We were in that cabin off the coast of spain in 30' seas and every door and drawer slammed open and closed. Solved with duct tape provided by the cabin steward. No way to lock the door to the balcony in any position other than fully closed and locked. As a result, if you are on the balcony (no handle on the outside so you can't lock yourself out) or you have the balcony door ajar...it will open and close by itself. Solution is using a bungee cord to tie the door fully open...note: if you don't have a bungee cord, the bathrobes have belts/ties and they work ok although a bit bulky (Necessity is the mother of invention....).

Having said all that, it's a great cabin and we would gladly book any of the rear cabins on deck 11 again...but we would be prepared a bit better.

Question, do the dividers between the balconies open up like the S Class ships? We are in 1141 and friends are in 1133.

Yes, they do. Unlike all of the other cabins on the M-Class ships, the dividers on aft Deck 11 cabins can be opened. I had a problem on the Constellation last year convincing the staff that it could be done but calls to the Hotel Manager and Chief Engineer solved the problem. It seemed that no staff below them knew it was possible. I even took pictures with my phone so I could show the staff at the Guest Relations: "here's where it opens and here's where the key goes." To make a long story short - if your cabin attendant says it can't be done, call the Hotel Manager and it will get taken care of.

All the aft cabins have the same problem in that you cannot lock the door from the outside and so the door slides back and forth, even if you put the handle down to 'lock' it. We found that the large umbrella worked well if placed appropriately (in the space to the left looking from the outside, when the door is shut) 😀. We have 1140 on our next cruise and so will probably take a bungee cord, though in Alaska, we may not be spending as much time out there as we did sailing the Indian Ocean!

Yes, they do. Unlike all of the other cabins on the M-Class ships, the dividers on aft Deck 11 cabins can be opened. I had a problem on the Constellation last year convincing the staff that it could be done but calls to the Hotel Manager and Chief Engineer solved the problem. It seemed that no staff below them knew it was possible. I even took pictures with my phone so I could show the staff at the Guest Relations: "here's where it opens and here's where the key goes." To make a long story short - if your cabin attendant says it can't be done, call the Hotel Manager and it will get taken care of.

Thank you, so happy the hear that!