Why does NCL do AA meeting at Night?

cmjars

[/color]

I am sorry about that, I really didn't pay that close attention, all I remember is that there were meetings in the Star Bar every night. I am old and this was 5 years ago, memory is not what it should be.

Now, it is Friday night and time to open a bottle of wine. Cheers!

No problem! However, having an AA meeting in a bar would seem to be both cruel and unusual ... :D

My freestyle dailies that I still have from our Alaska cruise on the Pearl also show the Friends of Bill meetings as being at 4 or 5 PM. And that reminds me: it's five o'clock somewhere ...;)

• 4 months later...

Just in case someone is still interested in this topic....and rolled passed the last few previous "Yuk Yuk" posts.

I can share that I have been to Friends of Bill W meetings on eight cruises, five different cruise lines. Almost all the meetings have been in the early evenings. Only one ship had morning meetings and it was sparsely attended compared to the evening meetings. I have been to meetings in onboard (closed) bars and it's not a big deal. I'd suggest if someone is having trouble seeing or being around alcohol, maybe they aren't ready for a cruise yet.

My next cruise will be on the Jewel. So, I don't have first hand experience. But, I was on the Norwegian Sun and they provided us with a very nice room. It was right next to the line of "Naughty Room" In our meeting we had a room full of the best smugglers in America and no one was smuggling. Better, watching the "Rookies" get caught. :D Keep Coming Back and Happy Cruising!

As friends of Bill W we are responsible for our own sobriety and for carrying the message to those who still suffer. I have cruised lots of times. I have attended some of the onboard meetings. I have missed others because of doing things with my family. However, when I need a meeting, I get out my Big Book, go find a quiet place, and read. I also take GrapeVine with me. This works for me, and I have met others who have joined me.

. :D Keep Coming Back and Happy Cruising!

::snicker:: I got it. LOL

I'm actually quite appalled at the nerve of the OP. Seriously? Although not an alcoholic myself, I'm quite familiar with the ways meetings work as well as the people who CHOOSE to go to them. I know at home we can't call up the local church and say I need a meeting at ::insert time here:: because your scheduled time is inconvenient for me. I DO know however, that people who need/want to go to Friends of Bill W on a cruiseship are going to go regardless of the time. I think 7pm is a great time and I think that it's awesome that the ships actually set a place/time aside for people in need. 7 is just after dinner... all the excursions are done for the day... still have time to catch a show... and it's also the time that "drinking" activities start for the evening. A perfect reason to go to a meeting to remind the "A" why they are there...

Anyway... just my two cents.

Cant be sure of this but wouldnt early evening be the time when you would need the support/meeting? That is usually when the serious drinking starts isnt it? Not in the morning?? When you are getting ready for an excursion etc..?? Just asking..

NCL is very accomodating. On a transatlantic cruise on Jewel, a fellow passenger who was a pastor, conducted a church service in Spinnaker, and after we all decided it would be nice to meet together every sea day and have a bible study. One of us went to NCL and they gave us the chapel every morning, and most times we overflowed into the

Spinnaker lounge because of the numbers. They also were so nice, and announced it in the freestyle daily. Just talk to someone on board, and they will try their best to help out.

Here's an idea, maybe AA meetings are needed more at night. Most of the people I have known involved in AA over the years attend night meetings. There may be a concept to that way of thinking. Just saying, I have no actual knowledge of that being a fact. :)

Unfortunately, this is not a good ideaas someone who missed the first day, would not find you.

ok, well i guess the OP found their way.

time for me to pop open a beer. :D

A truly thoughtless comment. AA saves lives, and you make a joke about it.:mad:

Unfortunately, this is not a good ideaas someone who missed the first day, would not find you.

A truly thoughtless comment. AA saves lives, and you make a joke about it.:mad:

I don't think anyone underestimates the value and importance of AA, I'm sure that was meant very lightheartedly.

As an example, my beloved Grandmother passed away from Alzheimer's a month ago. A couple days after that I heard someone tell an Alzheimer's joke. I chuckled. They didn't say it to be cruel and I knew that. Then again, I have a very liberal sense of humor and tend to use humor in as many situations as I can.

• 4 years later...
Cant be sure of this but wouldnt early evening be the time when you would need the support/meeting? That is usually when the serious drinking starts isnt it? Not in the morning?? When you are getting ready for an excursion etc..?? Just asking..
actually for me the morning was the best time; nice and quiet; better yet, 24-7 was my addiction;

Addiction is 24/7. Sometimes people will go to several meetings a day, especially early in their sobriety. Then again, that person might not be ready for a cruise.

There's always the possibility of taking over a quiet lounge with a few fellow Friends of Bill W for an inpromptu, un-dailied meeting.

First time I went on a cruise I noticed all these meeting for Friends of Bill and Friends of Dorothy. - or something like that. I didn't know what they were and I told my kids - "Boy, Bill and Dorothy sure must have lots of friends"

i agree with you.... its not a good idea to change a meeting time on your own, because as the week goes along people that want to go to a meeting might not go the first day (evening) and think there is no meeting when they go on an other day.

As friends of Bill W we are responsible for our own sobriety and for carrying the message to those who still suffer. I have cruised lots of times. I have attended some of the onboard meetings. I have missed others because of doing things with my family. However, when I need a meeting, I get out my Big Book, go find a quiet place, and read. I also take GrapeVine with me. This works for me, and I have met others who have joined me.

Here,here! I agree with rbrugler. I went to a Friends of Bill meeting once on the Dawn, and I was the only one to show up. I had a very nice time of quiet reflection on how grateful I am to be sober. Sometimes Keep It Simple Is the best thing!!

PS I love that this is a very old thread. Shows how important the subject is to some of us!

Edited by Sunnysafari
Typo And extra thoughts ��

• 1 year later...

NCL does not have to coordinate support or do anything for an AA meeting. They are gracious enough to provide a venue and which those that wish to meet me meet. As someone else committed in the thread, it only takes two to make an AA meeting. If you don't like the time at which is offered go to the meeting availability the first day and see if anybody wants to meet with you and alternative time. Our continued sobriety is based upon the opportunities that we are given and what we make of them.:D:D

Completely agree SuniSafari

I had the same experience on a Norwegian cruise around Hawaii a couple of years ago. It was in the chapel, no one showed up and I spent the hour in quiet prayer and meditation. Always remembering that prayer is me talking to God and meditation is God speaking to me. Without the program and the people within the program, the time that I was allowed to spend the night Chapel with something that I would have never experienced in the first place.