Can I buy camera memory cards onboard?

cruisingmoose7

I got to Rome a few days early but I forgot my extra memory chip for my good camera, and I just discovered the memory card for my second camera is faulty. Can anyone tell me if these are offered for sale on the ship? we board the spirit in a couple of days.

Alternatively, can someone point me to a store in Rome that sells these?

If you have a few days and already in Rome, I would shop for replacement locally - Google for nearest sales outlet. Ship usually stock the popular ones but if you must, be prepared to pay a premium price for it.

Another reason to carry 2 or 3 smartphone with good camera functions, I know digital SLR with zoom just isn't the same ... but.

I got to Rome a few days early but I forgot my extra memory chip for my good camera, and I just discovered the memory card for my second camera is faulty. Can anyone tell me if these are offered for sale on the ship? we board the spirit in a couple of days. Alternatively, can someone point me to a store in Rome that sells these?

You can buy onboard. They are expensive. You can buy in any convenience store in Rome, they are equally expensive (unless you get out of the tourist areas and get to a retail store).

Just to mirror what everyone else is saying on here, buying a camera or memory card on a cruise ship is the absolute last place you'd want to buy one. If you're in the position to need to purchase one on a cruise ship, they're the only place you can buy anything and they know it and price things accordingly. I've compared cameras they've sold on NCL ships to Amazon and the cost was hundreds more than Amazon or walking into a Best Buy. If you can buy what you need before you board, it's in your best interest to do so.

-Keith

I got to Rome a few days early but I forgot my extra memory chip for my good camera, and I just discovered the memory card for my second camera is faulty. Can anyone tell me if these are offered for sale on the ship? we board the spirit in a couple of days.

If you tell me exactly what you need I can source it in the UK today and bring it out to you on Sunday as we're on the same ship.

If you tell me exactly what you need I can source it in the UK today and bring it out to you on Sunday as we're on the same ship.

I managed to find a single 8 gb sd card here so I may be ok :D

I will look for another one tomorrow when I have some free time as I wanted a 16, though my immediate problem is solved.

I managed to find a single 8 gb sd card here so I may be ok :D

I will look for another one tomorrow when I have some free time as I wanted a 16, though my immediate problem is solved.

Same as I use so will try to find a 16gb so card and if you want it fine, if not I can use it 🙂

I just discovered the memory card for my second camera is faulty.

Did you find out what was wrong with this memory card?

Try and save the data to a remote device for fixing later if that is possible

then reformat it and see if it is still usable.

After securing an additional card REMEMBER to save your daily photos to

another device(s) to make space for more photos the next day.

Beware of static and other situations where recorded data can be corrupted.

Memory cards flash devices and the alike are much better in today's world

but do be careful of where you place your camera gear in spite of all the

statements that nothing can damage your gear.

Taking pictures of a once in a lifetime event - exchange cards and make

duplicates or take pictures with another device i.e. cell phone tablet etc.

When it is convenient buy the memory cards in bulk at Wal*Mart or a

merchant even ebay - have enough to get you through a tough situation.

Ya I know like calling the shots a day late and dollar short - "BUT" don't

let it happen again.

And that faulty card - it may be salvageable - give a reformat try/test.

Best of Good Luck !

If you really wan't to take care of backups when on the road get something like a "wd passport wireless" or "wd passport wireless pro". They are external wireless harddisks created for this they have a sd card reader. When i get back to my room either on ship or hotel i just pop in the card and it starts to backup. When done put the card back in the camera. Never delete the flashcard just take a few and keep them with the camera. This way you always have a backup in 2 places.

Daniel.

Just wanted to say thats amazing nice for you to offer. Not sure what price the OP is looking for but i use lexar 633x 64Gig cards since they are very stable.

Daniel.

PS: to the OP Rome is a real city finding memory cards should be easy. Italians love taking pictures so getting camera gear and electronics is no problem. True there are more gelato stores but still ....

• 2 weeks later...

Don't assume the ship will even have any! I thought they would have batteries on our TA from Barcelona, so I didn't pack any. WRONG. Not a battery to be found anywhere on the ship.