Norovirus

ELA

Anyone had the unfortunate chance to experience the norovirus in the past on ncl?? Do you go to the ship dr? With the princesss news I am going to be extra paranoid with my kids washing hands and wiping down the cabin at departure...

Please if you get it go see the ships doc -- they have the meds for it --- if you see the doc or not --- stay in your cabin at least one day ---

besides you can not be too far away from a bathroom --- it is "BAD" --- not only while I was on the trip but it stayed with me for three weeks at home --- just too long to get rid of ----

This sounds silly but --- because of where/when/I got it -- I now get balcony cabins --- to get fresh air in ---

Everywhere I go on the ship I am wiping ---

Wash hands and wipe with anti- bacterial gels, sprays --- etc --- people do not wash their hands-- watch for door knobs too-wipe them too ---

for some reason when they get our cabins they do not seem to clean them well -- like they used too --- the turn over - is too short ---

Anyone had the unfortunate chance to experience the norovirus in the past on ncl?? Do you go to the ship dr? With the princesss news I am going to be extra paranoid with my kids washing hands and wiping down the cabin at departure...

Hubby got it on the second half of a Canada/New England cruise in October 2010. He was confined to the cabin for 24 hours after symptoms disappeared - he didn't want to go out, anyway.

He saw the MD twice and was given shots and an IV. There was no charge for any of the medical services he received.

I think NCL did a very good job in trying to control the spread of the virus. I just returned from a Princess cruise (not the ones currently making the news.) It appears that the virus appeared on board late in the cruise as it was a 14 day cruise and it didn't show up until the 11th day/evening.

Hand washing not touching common surfaces and keeping your hands away from your face are probably the best way to prevent catching it. Still, it is everywhere, even in schools and health care facilities.

Be cautious but enjoy your cruise.

I've not got it onboard, but I, too, am rather paranoid about it. I take lysol wipes in my carry on (because who knows when the luggage will arrive!) and wipe all knobs, switches, surfaces, phone, remote, etc. As someone else said I try to keep my hands away from my face, accept sanitizer whenever available, and avoid touching surfaces like bannisters (use your elbow for balance.)

I do not eat in buffets, touch elevator buttons, put my hands on hand rails because of norovirus. I carry hand sanitizer and use it often. When I get back to the cabin each night, I shower before sitting in the room. It may seem extreme, but it works for me.

P.S. I do not like Buffets to begin with....:p

Banisters should be used on stairways to prevent falls. I would prefer getting ill for a few days from a norovirus than break my back falling down stairs. At worse, you could wash your hands after reaching your destination deck in a public washroom, but a broken back at least means a long bedridden stay in a hospital and home. You got to properly evaluate the various health and safety risks.

Usually, one doesn't need to use the handrails along corridors, but if the seas are rough and the ship is tossing, it might be wiser to use them than risk falling.

Falls are the number one cause of serious injury at home and at work in America. Using handrails and banisters is the best safety advice I can give.

Never on a ship, but our whole family became ill with it at a family reunion. It was awful!

Best advice out there...wash your hands frequently!

We also try and stay away from any type of buffet on a cruise ship or even at home. Too many hands on those serving spoons. ;)

Thats the funny part , once you have had it :eek: you become very cautious about what you touch.

I had it once on a trip to Cali and I became my own personal fountain . In bed for 2 days , couldn't eat or drink Anything....washy washy ;)

Keep in mind that noro is not killed by antibacterial gel/wash. Noro is a virus and so you need to use soap and hot water when washing your hands. Do it often and do it well and you'll be fine!

I agree, washing your hands often and I will add and keep your darn hands out of your mouth. Seriously if you hold onto the railing on the stairs to be safe so you don't fall with the movement of the ship or push an elevator button. These germs are not going to fly through your skin on your hands.

I came down with this on the last night of a 10 day cruise 2 years ago...Not fun! They had to chase me out of the room the following morning. I could not wait to get off the ship and go home. Luckily, we were only a 40 minute drive from the port. I couldn't go back to work until Wednesday and it hit on Thursday night..

I have been on a few cruises since then and I am very cautious about touching anything now.. and try to make sure I don't put my fingers in my mouth! But you can only be so careful ....

About two years ago, I got the Noro Virus and called the infirmary. Just as they answered the call, I had to run to the "John". A few minutes later, I answered a knock at the cabin door. The infirmary sent a nurse with a syringe of Compozine to the cabin.

After the shot - no more running to the "John" However I was quaranteened to the cabin for 24 hours.

Next day, a special cleaning attendant arrived and sprayed and whipped down EVERYTHING! The funny part of this story is - I notices the name on the spray bottle and started laughing. The female attendant asked why I was laughing and I said that where I was from we use that product for other purposes! I don't remember the exact spelling, but it was pronounced VIAGR#. :rolleyes: Made my day!

I must admit having a balcony was a life saver, and the movie of the day was Chocolate.

Next cruise in on the Crown Princess April 14, 2012

I came down with it on a Princess cruise, back in 1996, before it was a commonly known ailment. I didn't ask to see the doctor, but the cabin attendent knew I was sick and no one came to the cabin. I was in my cabin, by choice, for 48 hours. Even after that, I ate very selectively for another 48 hours.

I also came down with it in March 2011, while at home. I'm not sure where I picked it up, but I was for first person in the house to get it, followed 2 days later by DH and 24 hours after that by my poor mother. It really is EVERYWHERE.

We were on the RCCL Mariner of the Seas in December when there was a small outbreak of the virus. One of our dinner companions was taken ill on the 3rd day and quarantined for the rest of the trip, but her husband was fine. We were very careful to wash our hands and use the sanitizers. I think the crew did a good job of cleaning and kept the numbers who caught the virus to a small number.

Never on a ship, but our whole family became ill with it at a family reunion. It was awful!

Best advice out there...wash your hands frequently!

We also try and stay away from any type of buffet on a cruise ship or even at home. Too many hands on those serving spoons. ;)

Have you seen the ads for the new (communal) chocolate fountain at Golden Corral? Just the thought of everyone dipping stuff into a recirculating pool of chocolate makes me ill.

This morning I was watching TV and saw that 3 cruise ships had an outbreak of Norovirus over the past weekend. Just did a little research and found that the ships involved were the Voyager of the Seas out of New Orleans and two ships based in Florida, the Royal Princess and another Princess ship. The CDC is involved in the matter.

Noro can outbreak anywhere...but close quarters with a lot of people on a cruise..make it a breeding ground. Bring antibaterial wipes and wipe down your room---most importantly door handles and remote control.

If I use the public washroom I take a towel with me after washing my hands to open the door---not everyone washes their hands.

Try NOT to touch any public space. Keep hands out of your mouth and eyes. Wash your hands before eating.

DO NOT USE THE SALT OR PEPPER SHAKERS on the table--I learned that here! People touch the top of the shakers with their hands and one member saw a child licking the top of the shakers--I will pass thanks!

Wipe off your cutlery with your napkin BEFORE eating

We were on the Spirit after that big Noro outbreak. The buffet was served to you..no one was allowed to touch anything. I dont think you could opt out of the washy washy to enter Buffet Area. Even though it was after the BIG outbreak..there were still quarantines on our cruise.

Of course a shot of tequilla is said to kill bacteria---not sure but I am not one to take chances...

I am A+, blood type and attitude

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk

Me too (like you, both blood type and attitude), and I've had it twice, so I guess the A+ aren't immune at all :)

I had read somewhere that the virus is communicable for 72 hours after you contract it. This is also the incubation period, so you are spreading it before you even know you have it. I'm guessing that's how long the virus stays alive.

Archived