5:45 dinner - can we make 7pm shows?

lmkucala

Sorry I'm sure this question has been asked but I've searched and can't find specifics. If we have the 5:45 dinner time on a Southbound Alaskan cruise will we be done in time for the 7pm shows? (assuming that is what time the shows usually are - have never sailed on Princess before).

Sorry I'm sure this question has been asked but I've searched and can't find specifics. If we have the 5:45 dinner time on a Southbound Alaskan cruise will we be done in time for the 7pm shows? (assuming that is what time the shows usually are - have never sailed on Princess before).

Not normally, unless you really rush. The 7pm shows are usually considered as pre-dinner shows for those that dine late. They may have them when there is a 10pm ship wide activity such as a deck or atrium party. Normal theater show times are in the 8 to 8:30 and 10 to 10:30 time slots. On ships that have a Vista Lounge there can be additional shows in the Vista at 8:30/9 and 10:30 time frames.

No. You should plan on the attending the later show.

Normal dining room time for dinner is usually at least 90 minutes. As the above poster says, your waitstaff can serve you faster.

Besides the fact you probably do not want to rush through dinner each evening, you usually need to be at the Theater 20 minutes or more before the show to get a decent seat.

A lot depends on how many are sitting at your table. A two-top will move much faster than an eight-top, especially if your dining mates are slow to arrive.

If you get to the MDR right at the seating time, scope out the menu in advance (so that you know your choices), do not order extra or alcoholic beverages, stick to 2 or 3 courses, and let the waiters know that you would like to be finished by 6:45, it might happen.

The secondary issue is that if you walk in a the last minute, you may not find seating in the theater. They can get pretty packed at times.

Honestly I find this question on a par with "can I make a 9:30 AM flight home?" as in, Why on earth would you stress yourself out trying?

There won't be a 7 PM show every night; some nights will have the normal 8:15 and 10:15 showtimes lining up with the end of the two dinner seatings. Some nights will have shows at 7:00 and 8:30 (or 8:45) with the 7:00 showtime designated as a pre-dinner show for those on late seating. There will be one or two nights with three showtimes at 7:00 (or 6:45), 8:30 and 10:15--usually the production show on the second formal night, possibly one other.

And I'm sorry but I wear my late-dining preference on my sleeve; if I wanted to be finished with my dinner and evening's entertainment by 8:00 I could just stay home, nuke something up and watch Jeopardy!--because to ask your waiter to rush through dinner service in an hour and then to rush across the ship for whatever seats are left in the theatre is not any better an evening in my book.

Edited by fishywood

Yes.

OP's question was not whether they should try to make a 7:00 show with a 5:45 dinner time, but if they could.

We usually don't eat more than two courses and dessert. If we are at a table for two, we can have a very relaxed meal with a glass or two of wine and be done in 45 minutes or so. If you are going to have four courses, dessert and coffee after dinner, or if you have traditional dining with other dinner companions who do, than forget about the 7:00 show. If you work with your waitstaff, you can finish before your table companions but that is a bit awkward.

If you really want to get to that 7:00 show after dinner then choose anytime dining, get there when the DR opens and request a table for two.

The galley and wait staff run their service like a well oiled machine. If you ask to have your meal rushed you will probably be disappointed because each course is scheduled to be prepared on the pass at a certain time. It is not a cook to order kitchen but a giant assembly line trying to feed thousands of people.

Don't stress yourself or your waiters. Enjoy your dinner and go to a show at a different time.

Actually, a passenger will not be able to return to traditional dining after the show, as there will be another seating at that time. Their table will be allocated to a new group of passengers.

Most times, not all, even traditional diners can utilize the anytime DR as it approaches the closing hours. There are no lines and they are willing to accommodate anyone. The only time it causes problems is during peak hours.

If you are at a table for just your party, then by ordering only two courses, possibly three at most including dessert then that should work. Sometimes we wait and have dessert and coffee at the International cafe or buffet after the show.

You may also decide that you are tired from a long day of touring, and don't want to bother to dress up, and instead Eat dinner in the buffet. This way you control how long dinner takes.

Edited by sunsetbeachgal

Thanks everyone. I really was not trying to suggest we would rush through dinner, but rather just trying to get an idea of whether or not we could make earlier shows if we had the earlier dinner. Our 12 year-old will be with us and will not want to wait until later to eat and may be interested in some of the shows, but there are also some early days in ports so the late shows may get too late.

If there is something early we really want to go to we can always go get pizza or the buffet too.

If you choose ATD and show up when the line begins to form around 4:50 PM for the opening of the dining room at around 5:15PM and choose a table of no more than six it is not only easy to make the first show but to get good seats by an early arrival.

Howard

Have the show times changed? It's been a while since I was on the Coral or Island but back then there were 2 shows - 8 or 8:15 and 10 or 10:15. The first for the early diners, the second for the late diners. I don't remember a 7pm show time ever.

We first experienced 3 shows a night on the Caribbean Princess British Isles cruise in August 2013 and have had similar schedules on the Ruby and Royal (as recently as last month) since then. They added an early show at 6:30 or 6:45 followed by the 8-ish and 10-ish shows. We really like that schedule - we stop at the elite/platinum/suites lounge for a drink and nibbles, go to the show and then go to dinner around 7:30.

Have the show times changed? It's been a while since I was on the Coral or Island but back then there were 2 shows - 8 or 8:15 and 10 or 10:15. The first for the early diners, the second for the late diners. I don't remember a 7pm show time ever.

We first experienced 3 shows a night on the Caribbean Princess British Isles cruise in August 2013 and have had similar schedules on the Ruby and Royal (as recently as last month) since then. They added an early show at 6:30 or 6:45 followed by the 8-ish and 10-ish shows. We really like that schedule - we stop at the elite/platinum/suites lounge for a drink and nibbles, go to the show and then go to dinner around 7:30.

Some evenings there is no late shown due to other activities such as a deck party. On those evenings there will be only the early and middle shows if normally three shows. If the ship has a regular two show schedule, then the times will be around 7 PM and around 8:15 PM on those evenings..

On ships that offer 3 shows on a particular night we're found that the first show is hardly attended while the second one is usually packed with lines of people waiting to get in after dinner and the third is crowded as well.

We try to avoid the second show & make the first even if it means missing part of the show & having to sit up front where most people dislike.

On ships that offer 3 shows on a particular night we're found that the first show is hardly attended while the second one is usually packed with lines of people waiting to get in after dinner and the third is crowded as well.

We try to avoid the second show & make the first even if it means missing part of the show & having to sit up front where most people dislike.

It must vary by ship and the composition of the passengers because every cruise I've been on with three shows, this has not been the case. The early shows have been packed with late diners like us that just don't want to stay up to sit through the 10ish show or have other plans. The seats are mostly filled about 10 minutes before the show starts and it's easy to see the early diners who rushed through their dinner try to find seats for this show instead of the 8ish show which is the show planned for early traditional. What I find rude is when the show has already started and the early diners come in to the theatre scouting for seats in the dim light and disrupt the show for all the rest of us. Please be considerate of your fellow passengers and if you misss the beginning, find something else to do and wait for the middle show.

Sorry for the rant but this is something that has bothered me each time it happens. Relax, enjoy your early dinner and go to the 8ish show which is the one planned for early diners.