medications

Kellyfkrc

However you want it....no one cares or will even check. Hubby brings his in a "daily planner" pill container.

I totally disagree. I've been stopped, and both my parents have been stopped, by overzealous agents who've checked our prescriptions. My dad had his in a days of the week container, and the TSA agent looked at each one, and dad nearly missed his flight. So, if you're flying to the port, I wouldn't chance it. I personally saw a TSA agent dump the meds of an elderly woman on a dirty table and handle each med. The poor woman was beside herself.

While some say they've never had an issue, there have been many who have. At the very least, take a copy of all your prescriptions.

However you want it....no one cares or will even check. Hubby brings his in a "daily planner" pill container.

wrong answer.

at the very least bring a copy of the Rx or the original label.

for all international travel you need to prove you have a valid current Rx. sure you may never be asked to prove it, but what if you are, and you cannot?! then they confiscate the meds at minimum and you are SOL.

or something happens and young an emergency refill

This is an issue that will garner a variety of contradictory responses, all correct on an individual basis. Luck of the draw.

My husband travels regularly, domestically and internationally, with his day-a-week dispensers and never has an eye been blinked ... but it could. We takes our chances and don't worry.

I am bringing on prescription medication. Does it need to be in the bottle or can it be in a baggie?

It's the script that matters - not the container. Have your pharmacy print a list of your scripts including all appropriate info and, optionally but preferably, the physical description of the med. If your pharmacy can't or won't, you may want to look for a new one

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I am bringing on prescription medication. Does it need to be in the bottle or can it be in a baggie?

As you've seen, You will get answers both ways, that it must be in original containers and that it can be in weekly minders.

My husband takes 19 non-narcotic meds in three month supply bottles and V.A. Pharmacy does not give option of smaller bottles. We take cruises longer than a week. So I use small ziplock bags from SciPlus.com and put each day's portions in the baggies. I put those baggies in a quart size ziplock with a printout from pharmacy of all his prescriptions, and a printout from TSA site that says meds do not have to be in original containers.

We have had luggage and carryons searched by customs in two countries besides US and have never had any problem with the meds done that way. He has never even had to show his Rx list.

So my advice to you is do whatever you feel most comfortable doing.

Are you flying? Where are you cruising? There are different rules for different types of transport, and in different countries. And on different days, depending on the mood of the security person you're dealing with that day.

I totally disagree. I've been stopped, and both my parents have been stopped, by overzealous agents who've checked our prescriptions. My dad had his in a days of the week container, and the TSA agent looked at each one, and dad nearly missed his flight. So, if you're flying to the port, I wouldn't chance it. I personally saw a TSA agent dump the meds of an elderly woman on a dirty table and handle each med. The poor woman was beside herself.

While some say they've never had an issue, there have been many who have. At the very least, take a copy of all your prescriptions.

TSA people are not drug agents. They are not looking for drugs.

Never saw TSA do anything about drugs.

Did you report these TSA agents? If not why? They were not doing there job correctly.

I have seen thousands of people go through TSA checks and never seen one case of someone questioning pills in a seven day type container.

TSA people are not drug agents. They are not looking for drugs.

Never saw TSA do anything about drugs.

Did you report these TSA agents? If not why? They were not doing there job correctly.

I have seen thousands of people go through TSA checks and never seen one case of someone questioning pills in a seven day type container.

Just because YOU have never seen those things doesn't mean it hasn't happened. And, have you ever seen what can happen when you confront a nasty TSA agent? It causes you more problems. My husband used to carry his meds in the days container until a TSA agent got bent out of shape with him.

Just because YOU have never seen those things doesn't mean it hasn't happened. And, have you ever seen what can happen when you confront a nasty TSA agent? It causes you more problems. My husband used to carry his meds in the days container until a TSA agent got bent out of shape with him.

Agreed. There was a report here once from someone whose elderly mother was stopped, frisked, searched, questioned, and all together came undone by a TSA agent who was doing his/her job rather fervently in checking her pills in a daily container. If I recall, the mother was terribly shaken. Anyway - yes, just because one person here reports that it's not a problem most certainly doesn't mean it is true.

Ok, because I got sooo many different answers I decided to call NCL (I am not flying to port).

To set the record strait: you have to have the prescription in the bottle with your name and address printed on the bottle. :/

You do realize that, when you call a mass market cruise line's "customer service," you may end up talking to a call center in someplace like Nebraska that ultimately knows less than you do.

Maybe I've not used enough different pharmacies in my life but, I've never seen a script bottle with a patient's address on it (nor would I want to).

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

To set the record strait: you have to have the prescription in the bottle with your name and address printed on the bottle. :/

Do what I do and put enough for the trip plus a few extra in each prescription pill bottle; leave the rest at home (never take the full amount of pills with you in case of loss). You can then take just a few minutes in your cabin, sort out the daily pill planner, and go on about your vacation. It is so not a big deal to do this. :p:D

Have fun.

Same here.... Oh well...

So, just look at this logically. There is nothing that stops a person from putting whatever in an old script bottle. So, no authority with any sense (including the TSA or a port or cruise line's security), will demand that you have medication in a pill bottle. They may however, ask you to prove that what you have in your possession is legal, prescribed and yours. That is why most seasoned air travelers (e.g., whether 100K annual or weekly commuters) carry their meds however is most convenient and then carry the pharmacy printout with doctor(s) and patient name, script number(s) and (in the best example, which is what I recommend) the physical pill description(s) w/ or w/o image (e.g., blue oval w/ #xxx).

Sent from my iPad using Forums

So, just look at this logically. There is nothing that stops a person from putting whatever in an old script bottle. So, no authority with any sense (including the TSA or a port or cruise line's security), will demand that you have medication in a pill bottle. They may however, ask you to prove that what you have in your possession is legal, prescribed and yours. That is why most seasoned air travelers (e.g., whether 100K annual or weekly commuters) carry their meds however is most convenient and then carry the pharmacy printout with doctor(s) and patient name, script number(s) and (in the best example, which is what I recommend) the physical pill description(s) w/ or w/o image (e.g., blue oval w/ #xxx).

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Understood.

Thanks all!

Edited by Kellyfkrc

Ok, because I got sooo many different answers I decided to call NCL (I am not flying to port).

That is one rep's opinion, not any kind of fact.

I have never seen an address on a Rx bottle.

In all of our cruises on NCL we have never taken original bottles with us.

We have no choice but to fly to embarkation ports.

Thus all medications are in their original bottles.

And we have had TSA check our medications 4 times since 9/11 happened.

Tell me how the TSA agent knew what was on the label was in bottle?

Tell me what the TSA agent did to find out you did not print your own label t home?

If I wanted to smuggle drugs I would make sure that I had my fake labels on the bottles.

The primary people concerned are not TSA agents they would be customs agents. I have been though TSA at over twenty airports and about five hundred times and never saw a TSA agent care about your pills. I have seen them stop the Vitamins and are logwood in capsules.

Speaking of drugs, how does TSA know that Vitamins are Vitamins?

I have been to over twenty countries including China and never had a problem with anyone even saying anything about my three seven contains of pills.

Having bottles of lots pills would make me more concern what was in them. So, maybe it was because one is trying to get through TSA with lots of pills in bottles. For example, why would I have more than a week or two supply for a week vacation? Maybe that is why all these people were asked questions.

So far no one has reported first hand experience of TSA taken away there pills in seven day containers.