Upgraded Flts? US Airways

newparents

We are flying to Florida to do our cruise and are flying on a US Airways 757/200 and are possibly thinking of trying to upgrade to business class and I just wondered if any of you have travelled Trans Atlantic with this airline and on the 757/200 and if it was any good or if you know if its veeery expensive to upgrade to business class?

Will contact my TA tomorrow but I value the opinions of people who may have personal experience of this.

Thank you

Whenever, I have looked at transatlantic airfare, the difference between coach and business class was more than a thousand dollars more.

We are flying to Florida to do our cruise and are flying on a US Airways 757/200 and are possibly thinking of trying to upgrade to business class and I just wondered if any of you have travelled Trans Atlantic with this airline and on the 757/200 and if it was any good or if you know if its veeery expensive to upgrade to business class?

Will contact my TA tomorrow but I value the opinions of people who may have personal experience of this.

Thank you

US air doesn't have first class and calls it business class

The seats on the 757 don't lay flat( only 60 degrees)but do have a lot more leg room..

Priority boarding, free cocktails, upgraded meals and you wont have to worry about the middle seat.

It all depends on what it costs to upgrade and what it is worth to you

Edited by jonbgd

Some bad info above. I am Chairman's Preferred on US Airways, and can give you accurate into.

First of all, with the merger with AA, you need to be aware of which airline's planes you are actually flying.

On US metal, on Trans-Atlantic flights, US offers two classes of service, economy and Envoy.

AA does offer at least three, sometimes as many as four classes of service on most International flights.

Economy on an international flight on US is the same as on domestic, except you'll get a meal and (usually) free beer/wine. There will also be IFE. These are not individual units, but overheads with movies--no choice.

You will get priority boarding and there will be plenty of room for your carry on. Typically you'll be offered a hot or cold towel (depending on the weather) and Champagne/OJ/Mimosas on boarding, and there will be a large bottle of water at your seat.

There are sometimes paid upgrades available at the gate, expect them to run $1000 or more each. To upgrade before that sill run several thousand dollars per ticket more.

Envoy on a 757 isn't all that when you are traveling Eastbound and will want to sleep. The seats recline only part way--I believe it's 60 degrees. There are footrests, and plenty of leg room. The meal is usually fairly good--although not fantastic. All booze is free. You'll get an amenity kit, last time I flew Envoy it was socks, hand cream, lip balm, ear plugs, eye mask, pen, toothbrush and paste, maybe a comb? Not shabby, but certainly not fantastic, either. There are no individual IFE units on a 757, only on the wide bodies. There will be a decent pillow and softer, larger blanket than the ones in economy--and they will actually be clean.

If you have any other specific questions, feel free to ask.

We fly business class fairly often especially on transatlantic flights, and the 757 is our least favorite plane. It's an old plane and noisy and the business class is far less comfortable than on the newer plane with the envoy suites. I wouldn't pay the difference in costs for business class on a 757.

A little tip next time, don't fly US on Transatlantic flights. They offer old planes and a tremendously dated product. If the flight is operated by American itself, then it's ok.

But since you're mentioning the 757, it will most likely be operated by US.

Thankyou all so much for your replies, its def a US Airways plane, I have seen pics of it on the net and it looks so old that it actually worries me :eek:

Could not pay thousands more to upgrade so we will just have to do, I thought that would be the case.

757/200 coach/economy's class here we come!!!!!

A little tip next time, don't fly US on Transatlantic flights. They offer old planes and a tremendously dated product. If the flight is operated by American itself, then it's ok.

But since you're mentioning the 757, it will most likely be operated by US.

NOT TRUE!! If your flight will be on an A330, it is a wonderful business/first hybrid with 180 degree lay flat seats, IFE with plenty of selection, great service, tons of storage, etc.

I do agree that it's pretty dismal that they are still using 757's on international long hauls. I can barely tolerate them on domestic flights. But as I said, the A330 product is wonderful, and the planes are certainly not old or dated.

NOT TRUE!! If your flight will be on an A330, it is a wonderful business/first hybrid with 180 degree lay flat seats, IFE with plenty of selection, great service, tons of storage, etc.

I do agree that it's pretty dismal that they are still using 757's on international long hauls. I can barely tolerate them on domestic flights. But as I said, the A330 product is wonderful, and the planes are certainly not old or dated.

I have flown on US Airways internationally on their A330s and their 767s ( not the 757.) in Envoy.

Envoy on the A330 is fantastic . I sould even venture to say it is nicer than Business on Swiss , which is lovely. There are individual " pods" with full lie flat seats. The on demand selection is excellent and you get Bose noise cancellation headphones throughout the flight. The meal selection is very good. All seats have aisle access and you have privacy. I haven't flown on business on the Asian/ Middle Eastern airlines which I know are fantastic , but have flown in business on 5 " western airlines" and this was the nicest.

The 767 is kind of " old fashioned " business. The seats are not fully reclinable . There are little " hand held " entertainment systems which slide into a holder. Not great. The meal selection is nice ( same as the A330) . You have a much more comfortable experience than economy , but it surely is not as nice as the A330.

I have flown on US Airways internationally on their A330s and their 767s ( not the 757.) in Envoy.

Envoy on the A330 is fantastic . I sould even venture to say it is nicer than Business on Swiss , which is lovely. There are individual " pods" with full lie flat seats. The on demand selection is excellent and you get Bose noise cancellation headphones throughout the flight. The meal selection is very good. All seats have aisle access and you have privacy. I haven't flown on business on the Asian/ Middle Eastern airlines which I know are fantastic , but have flown in business on 5 " western airlines" and this was the nicest.

The 767 is kind of " old fashioned " business. The seats are not fully reclinable . There are little " hand held " entertainment systems which slide into a holder. Not great. The meal selection is nice ( same as the A330) . You have a much more comfortable experience than economy , but it surely is not as nice as the A330.

Agree. I don't mind the 767 westbound where I'm not really looking to sleep--just cat nap. The A330 is IMHO the best long haul metal, although I haven't flown the Dreamliner yet, and the Envoy product on it is on par with any other US based carrier's long haul business/first product and as good if not better than anything that many of the European carriers are offering.

Even in coach the A330 is better than many other options. My in-laws are have to get back from Madrid and their options were Iberia A346, American B763 or US Airways A330. I told them to definitely take the US Airways flight.

We flew US Air 757 Dublin to Phillie (and then on to FLL). It was an old plane and the food in economy was pretty dire. But, and this is a big BUT, I wouldn't pay much more to be at the front of the plane. More room ok, but not much else. But for what we paid for economy return Dub to Fll (€510 each) i would fly it again.

I was offered an upgrade when doing the online checkin and as far as I remember it was $500 (US dollars) each to upgrade for the Dub-PHL element only (thats one way!) No ta!

If you got good value on the ticket price then don't worry, your going on a cruise shortly after :cool:

My only comment would be that depending on when your cruise takes place, US and AA might be starting to integrate their fleets (it's already happening - some "route/metal swap" - using AA planes on US routes, etc. is starting to occur.)

Both US and AA operate 757-200s on transatlantic routes. Compared to US' planes, business class in AA's 752s is a pretty decent product - roomy seats - "lie flat" - but slightly angled, never a problem for me, individual video, darn good food...

So if your trip is a long way off, it might not be the current crop of US 752s that you'd be using.

Even in coach the A330 is better than many other options. My in-laws are have to get back from Madrid and their options were Iberia A346, American B763 or US Airways A330. I told them to definitely take the US Airways flight.

Which makes another point. Both the A346 (which is a version of the A340) and the A330 are the same basic fuselage and cabin, with the 340 being the 4 engined variant. It's what the airline puts in the cabin that often makes a difference.

Case in point: Prior to the flat beds on the DL 767s, DL would put 6 across in their business class cabin. CO put 5 across on the same aircraft. Which did I choose to fly? It was the same airplane from Boeing...made different by the operator. Second case...DL puts flat beds in a herringbone config on their 777s. AF has a 2-3-2 config. Guess who gets my business?

So...there's more than just the airplane. It's also what the airline does with the cigar tube. (Still to enjoy the Virgin Australia in-flight bar...)

Yuk!

757's are my least favourite aircraft, Those screeching engines and the low ceilings which create a cramped feeling in the cabin,

Would rather fly via LHR or even on an A320, At least they are comfortable.

Some bad info above. I am Chairman's Preferred on US Airways, and can give you accurate into.

First of all, with the merger with AA, you need to be aware of which airline's planes you are actually flying.

On US metal, on Trans-Atlantic flights, US offers two classes of service, economy and Envoy.

AA does offer at least three, sometimes as many as four classes of service on most International flights.

Economy on an international flight on US is the same as on domestic, except you'll get a meal and (usually) free beer/wine. There will also be IFE. These are not individual units, but overheads with movies--no choice.

You will get priority boarding and there will be plenty of room for your carry on. Typically you'll be offered a hot or cold towel (depending on the weather) and Champagne/OJ/Mimosas on boarding, and there will be a large bottle of water at your seat.

There are sometimes paid upgrades available at the gate, expect them to run $1000 or more each. To upgrade before that sill run several thousand dollars per ticket more.

Envoy on a 757 isn't all that when you are traveling Eastbound and will want to sleep. The seats recline only part way--I believe it's 60 degrees. There are footrests, and plenty of leg room. The meal is usually fairly good--although not fantastic. All booze is free. You'll get an amenity kit, last time I flew Envoy it was socks, hand cream, lip balm, ear plugs, eye mask, pen, toothbrush and paste, maybe a comb? Not shabby, but certainly not fantastic, either. There are no individual IFE units on a 757, only on the wide bodies. There will be a decent pillow and softer, larger blanket than the ones in economy--and they will actually be clean.

If you have any other specific questions, feel free to ask.

What routes does AA offer 4 class service on???? Even the DFW-HKG on their shinny new 777-300's are only 3 class. BA,CX,QF all offer 4 class service (premium econ being the 4th class) but I don't know of any AA routes that have 4 class or even what the 4th class would be.

Neither AA's nor US's 757-200s feature true lie-flat business class seats.

AA and US both operate a domestic version and an international version. Both domestic versions have regular domestic First Class Seats (recliners). Both international versions have closer to lie-flat but not true lie-flats although I would prefer AA's version over US's version in this situation.

You can read the details of US's 757 envoy seat at: http://www.usairways.com/en-US/traveltools/intheair/businessfirst/business.html

It has 70 degree recline - that sounds good for a Westbound from Europe to the US during the day but most people wouldn't be able to sleep on that for an Eastbound overnight flight.

Save your money and don't pay for Envoy on the 757. You may have a chance at a day of upgrade but it's often in the $600 - $900 range. To me, that's not worth it.

ALSO - AA does not offer 4 class service to anywhere in the world. Main Cabin Extra is not another class of service (even when on the 77W where its 9 across instead of 10 across like regular Main Cabin).

What routes does AA offer 4 class service on???? Even the DFW-HKG on their shinny new 777-300's are only 3 class. BA,CX,QF all offer 4 class service (premium econ being the 4th class) but I don't know of any AA routes that have 4 class or even what the 4th class would be.

Sorry for the confusion. I counted the extra legroom economy seats as a separate class in my brain when I wrote that. I was multi-tasking at the time, obviously poorly. Mea Culpa.