Siganture Beverage Package - Tipping

4everOrcruiser

If not on the SBP we would normally add a dollar a drink or so onto each ticket, but when on the package, there isn't even a ticket to write on, is there?

You can't add a tip to a purchase slip even if you use your cabin card. You have to use cash if you want to give an extra tip.

Edited by RuthC

Some people choose to tip over and above this

Can work out very well if server (especially in MDR if same person each night) gets to know preferences. Good extra tips can also stiffen up the pour - but on SigBevPack I won't worry about that as 15 drinks a day is already overkill (brain cells that is ;) ).

Believe me the SBP is not free - you're paying for it. Price the cruise without the Explore 4 package.

Always price it out. For us, the cruise price was the same either way. With the Explore 4, we got the Signature Beverage Package, dinner in the Pinnacle, dinner in Canaletto, and $300 per person OBC. We'd be silly to give those perks up for zero savings. Final payment is next week and there's been no movement in the fares whatsoever.

We asked a crew member what tip amount they received when a passenger has a SBP and were shocked to find out it was only $1 per cruise for each person on the ship who had an SBP. We were on a 50 day cruise at the time. After that, we brought a few dollars with us each time we visited the bar for tipping. That was in 2015.

Hopefully that compensation has changed. I don't think it's fair for the crew

Because 15% is added for each drink served, that's no indication that the server gets 15% for each drink he/she serves. That money goes to HAL and is distributed however they see fit. We were told by a reliable source that they get 30 CENTS per drink served.

The Signature Beverage Package (SBP) includes the 15% service charge if you get the package as part of the Explore-3 promotion or is you purchase it at $51.70 per person/per day. The $51.70 includes the 15% service charge, so it is already paid.

And remember, the break-even point is only 6 .5 drinks per day. So, anything above that, you are drinking free.

We asked a crew member what tip amount they received when a passenger has a SBP and were shocked to find out it was only $1 per cruise for each person on the ship who had an SBP. We were on a 50 day cruise at the time. After that, we brought a few dollars with us each time we visited the bar for tipping. That was in 2015.

Hopefully that compensation has changed. I don't think it's fair for the crew

LOL..You asked this question & you believed the crew member? :rolleyes:

I have a great new Bridge for sale & I can sell it too you at a BIG discount! ;)

Because 15% is added for each drink served, that's no indication that the server gets 15% for each drink he/she serves. That money goes to HAL and is distributed however they see fit. We were told by a reliable source that they get 30 CENTS per drink served.

We are discussing only the explore 4 package, not individual drinks..I bolded part of your post as HAL does not determine what they will give the employee..The 15% is not added on the Explore 4 Package as it is already factored in the original charge..

Ruth was correct - it is a union contract between the crew member & HAL.. IMO it's really none of our business & I would never have the audacity to ask an employee a question like this..

Edited by serendipity1499