Who has ordered a second entree?

MaiTaiMary

My kids will be going on their first cruise next month. (can I get a woohoo?!?? :D )

They are pretty adventurous eaters and looking forward to trying a lot of new food in the MDR. My concern is that they are going to order something, then not like it. How long typically will it take to get another entree?

I know we can order as much as we'd like, but I'm concerned that it'll take so long to get entree #2 that everybody else will be done with their meal by that point. :(

My kids will be going on their first cruise next month. (can I get a woohoo?!?? :D )

They are pretty adventurous eaters and looking forward to trying a lot of new food in the MDR. My concern is that they are going to order something, then not like it. How long typically will it take to get another entree?

I know we can order as much as we'd like, but I'm concerned that it'll take so long to get entree #2 that everybody else will be done with their meal by that point. :(

No need to worry. If they decide not to like something, the waiter will take the plate and the next course for that guest should be served within minutes (or moments, actually). You can even ask them to serve them all at once, if you prefer. If all entrees are ordered at the same time, the assistant waiter sets them down on a table as there is a whole process to pick up your meals. This may include escalators, lines and even going to a special area for those with special requests or guests with a dietary restriction.

Edited by Disconnections

When our kids were younger, we would order a bowl of pasta with butter and something new to try. If they liked the new item, GREAT and if not, the pasta was already there waiting. Simple and keeps them occupied!

If they may not like it I order it to share/as a second meal when we order or ask if they can have it as an appetizer so that the whole process isn't held up. I've always figured if they don't eat all their dinner they can get something off Lido- they aren't going to starve. :)

To make it easier for the wait staff, if you think you would like to try multiple items, just order them all at once so that when they head into the kitchen they only have to wait in line one time.

The less trips into the kitchen that the waiter makes, the faster your service will be.

Howard

Sent from my GT-P5113 using Forums mobile app

Every night I order 2 entrees, to go along with my 2 appetizers and 2 desserts. Need to keep everything in balance.

There is an occasional night that I will order a third entree as well. Order whatever you like and however much. Enjoy it.

We will be seated by ourselves. (family of five).

Yes, I know we can order multiple entrees at once, but I don't want to order extra food that we won't need.

Odds are that the kids will like what they order the first time, but I'm just curious what other experiences have been as far as wait time if another entree is ordered after the rest of the table already has their food.

No, I don't want to go to the Lido deck for dinner with a hungry child after the rest of the family has eaten dinner in the MDR.

Last cruise, my DH saw another entree he wanted to try at a neighboring table. He mentioned to our waiter that he would like to try it and it was just a few minutes (less than 5), he had another plate of food in front of him. Not a big deal at all.

Last cruise, my DH saw another entree he wanted to try at a neighboring table. He mentioned to our waiter that he would like to try it and it was just a few minutes (less than 5), he had another plate of food in front of him. Not a big deal at all.

Awesome. :) Thanks for the reply!

I've been ordering a second entree for more than 20 years, as soon as they cut back the portions and number of courses. You have to do it up front though. I never order 2 of one thing though.

My daughter did this as well. She is willing to try anything and had ordered some pasta dish and didn't care for it at all. She asked if she could get something else and the waiter said it wasn't a problem. He was back in just a few minutes. We had Anytime Dining so I don't know if that makes a difference.

if they wait till they try it and then reorder, it will slow things down since he has other tables to take care of. they don't have spare time to take reorder for everyone.

I wouldn't think that EVERYONE in the main dining room would be ordering a second entree after the first was served. :confused: Sounds like the few people that do this are served quickly. :)

We will be seated by ourselves. (family of five).

Yes, I know we can order multiple entrees at once, but I don't want to order extra food that we won't need.

Odds are that the kids will like what they order the first time, but I'm just curious what other experiences have been as far as wait time if another entree is ordered after the rest of the table already has their food.

No, I don't want to go to the Lido deck for dinner with a hungry child after the rest of the family has eaten dinner in the MDR.

It's very rare that I didn't like a dish that I ordered. When it did happen, our servers brought replacements very quickly.

Good for you for not wanting to waste food. Great for your kids for being adventurous eaters. Ours were too. We were happy about it on the ships but not so much when we were back on land and had to pay for those meals. :eek:

We usually order a second entree, one thing I love about the dining experience is to enjoy the meal. Take your time and enjoy :), no big deal if you wait a bit. Also my grandson loves bacon and strawberries (he was 2 1/2) and they obliged him every night :p

Why do so many people on these boards feel that others are wasting food? These meals are NOT cooked to order. They are cooked in advance and if not served for that meal, that food is ground up and discharged or trashed NO MATTER WHAT. There will ALWAYS be kitchen waste, though the galleys have guidelines to follow on how many of a particular dish to prepare to try and reduce the waste. The galley simply cannot store leftovers like we do at home. Most food waste is discharged as fish food and if not eaten by marine life, will decompose rapidly in the warm salt water (if in the Caribbean).

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I wouldn't think that EVERYONE in the main dining room would be ordering a second entree after the first was served. :confused: Sounds like the few people that do this are served quickly. :)

they ask you to order all you want when they take orders, not to reoder because this is why it takes 90 minutes to eat in mdr. yes it doesnt take them long but they dont have the time for reorders.

I only ordered two entrees on lobster night (wish I had not because I was too full for dessert). Every other night I ordered an app and soup or two apps and then one entree. They brought the second after I was finished with the first. Same with my second lobster tail. DH ordered two entrees every night. They would bring him one and the second one very shortly after it (before he was finished with the first most of the time). As others have said, if you know you want two entrees, then order it upfront. However, if you order something that you don't care for and want a substitute entrée or if someone else gets something and you see you like it, then you can order it and it comes pretty quickly. But we always have ATD and sit alone, so its not as if we are making tablemates wait. If you are with others, that is something to keep in mind. Not necessarily to discourage you from ordering something else, just something to think about.

Edited by cruzinlisa