Transatlantic?

bobbisailsolo

Any thoughts on this as a solo cruiser? I've always wanted to do one, but now I'm thinking it may be a waste of time, and boring... With a minimum of 4 consecutive days at sea and then some... I'm retired, so relaxation is not an issue anymore. But I thought I might just like the experience, kind of a bucket list thing. I'd like to hear from others who've taken a transatlantic. My vacation funds are limited to one or two trips a year, so I choose my trips carefully...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All but one of my solo cruises so far have been transatlantics. Of course I'm still working and the relaxing days at sea are VERY welcome to me! But there are lots of activities--at least on Celebrity and Azamara, can't speak for other lines. Multiple trivia sessions a day, some kind of arts/crafts classes (jewelry making and watercolor painting, for example,) lots of interesting speakers, along with the usual shipboard activities.

You'll also find lots of other solos on transatlantic cruises since they are usually priced more reasonably.

I'd highly recommend it! I am hoping to take another this fall but thus far I haven't seen pricing low enough for me to jump. I expect prices will drop after final payment date, but who knows!

Any thoughts on this as a solo cruiser? I've always wanted to do one, but now I'm thinking it may be a waste of time, and boring... With a minimum of 4 consecutive days at sea and then some... I'm retired, so relaxation is not an issue anymore. But I thought I might just like the experience, kind of a bucket list thing. I'd like to hear from others who've taken a transatlantic. My vacation funds are limited to one or two trips a year, so I choose my trips carefully...

bobbisailsolo, I have done two TA's as a solo and I enjoyed them both. Yes, you will have a lot more consecutive days at sea, but that varies by the individual as some like sea days and others don't. I like to read, so I was able to entertain myself with the books I brought along and those from the ship's library. Very relaxing. The ship usually does try to have a lot of different activities scheduled on the sea days so people have something to do. If you like trivia or similar things you can can find something to do.

I have also found the cruise fares to be fairly reasonable for solos on a TA as the ships seldom sail full so the single supplement is less. Both of my trips were under $50 a day for the cruise fare as a solo. Airfare is usually higher than the cruise fare.

With a TA you will get to some different ports than the usual itinerary takes you to. Such as the Azores, Canary Islands, and Madeira on the southern crossings, and Iceland or Greenland on the northern crossings.

Both of my TA's were west bound, one from Southampton and one from Rome, and there were 6 sea days for the crossing on both of them.

I did a transatlantic last spring, and there were lots of things to do, but of course what's available will vary by the ship or the line, and whether or not you want to do the things that are available will vary too. I had an absolutely wonderful time, and have booked a transpacific (with 14 sea days) for this fall.

You mentioned bucket list and that's just what I'm working on.

Leaving Sunday morning for FLL and then boarding the Norwegian Star in MIA on Monday for a TA and then a Baltic cruise B2B thus crossing 2 items off my list.

Have 5 good paperbacks to take along and an aft-facing balcony on which to read them.

I'm also 20 years retired and still loving every minute of it. Best job I ever had.

Go for it.

You mentioned bucket list and that's just what I'm working on.

Leaving Sunday morning for FLL and then boarding the Norwegian Star in MIA on Monday for a TA and then a Baltic cruise B2B thus crossing 2 items off my list.

Have 5 good paperbacks to take along and an aft-facing balcony on which to read them.

I'm also 20 years retired and still loving every minute of it. Best job I ever had.

Go for it.

Wow! Have a great time. Sounds exciting!

Headed out to my first solo Transatlantic Sunday so I will let you know when I get back what I thought. Have to say on this specific cruise Royal Caribbean Independence of the Seas there are a LOT of solos booked that have connected via the roll call. If anything I may not get enough relaxing time!

I am still working (in my mid 50s) and I WISH I could do a TA but the

timing never works:rolleyes:....I can't be gone at the end of the month and it

seems every TA crossing always goes when I cannot.....:eek:

I would LOVE to be on the ship for all those days:D......one day......

I do what I can and try to cruise 2 to 3 times a year though:)...

just not at the end of a month......

I did my first TA April 2013. I am booked on the Silhouette for the October 31, 2015 TA west bound. I loved the crossing. There were solos on the April 2013 cruise. So far there is 1 other solo on the roll call for October. I wish I could do a B2B but I'm still working. If you decide to join us in October that would be great.

I absolutely love them- done 4 and would happily do another. They are certainly not boring.i like the different experiences, it's like 3 holidays in one. You get a European holiday, aCaribbean or doth American holiday and time to recover and enjoy the facilities of the ship in between. Only downside is trying to pack for different climates and keep within the airlines luggage allowance.

It's funny, when I worked, I wanted a Long, relaxing cruise with lots of sea days, where I didn't have to do anything. Now, since I'm no longer stressed and all my days are at leisure, I don't feel that same need. But I think I will try it eventually. Possibly 2015 if I can combine it with something in Norway. Considering 23 day grand voyage caribbean Princess August 29, 2015.

I'm doing a transpacific in Sept. 2014. Got a great senior rate and jumped on it - with Celebrity, my ship of choice! ;) Have always wanted to a Trans - something. I don't know what it would be like if you are always craving activity but I love sea days, I keep busy. There are always things on board and I enjoy reading and my own company. I just love, love being on a ship in the water!! :D

Sue

I'm doing a transpacific in Sept. 2014. Got a great senior rate and jumped on it - with Celebrity, my ship of choice! ;) Have always wanted to a Trans - something. I don't know what it would be like if you are always craving activity but I love sea days, I keep busy. There are always things on board and I enjoy reading and my own company. I just love, love being on a ship in the water!! :D

Sue

Hi Sue:) what ship?

Go for it. I've done two and am doing another one this fall. You'll have a ball. You'll meet lots of people, and because the pace is slower than a week or so in the islands or the Med, you'll have a chance to get to know your new friends and folks in the crew, too.

My time limits me to one or two trips a year, too, so I also choose carefully.

I've done TA now four times as a solo on board Queen Mary 2 and the only thing the limits me from doing more is my time and my budget. (If you want 7 or 8 consecutive days at sea, on a ship with an extensive daytime activities program this ship is for you. If you hate to dress in the evening and don't like formal dinners and teas then this ship is not for you.)

Pluses: The ship makes regular TAs between May and December, not just repositioning cruises. They originate in NY and Southampton, UK (near London) and you might be able to get non-stop flights on way or the other. The ship is a purpose built ocean liner designed specifically to handle the north Atlantic. As a transatlantic liner, with nothing but sea days, there is a full program of daytime lectures and activities available should you choose to attend. Singles are mingled - at a table for six there may be two singles and two couples.

Minuses: If you hate formality at dinner you will hate this ship. If you don't like fixed first and second sittings for dinner you will also dislike this ship. There are alternative restaurants on board however, but you will be dining alone in these venues unless you meet up with somebody who wants to go with you.

Edited by BlueRiband

I've done a number of TA's. If you're on a budget, it's risky. Holland America, I was so bored I was seriously considering getting off in Funchal. Crystal was a little better but still not worth the money. QM2, I'm unhappy with for a number of reasons, not all concerning TA's, but as a rule, Cunard does have the best singles program. Costa, even at 200% was still the cheapest, and the only one I felt the value was equal to other places I could be spending the money, but Costa is too foreign for many Americans.

I've done a number of TA's. If you're on a budget, it's risky.

Risky how.....Do you mean risky you've wasted your money, or risky that you won't like it? Wouldn't the risk be the same for any cruise you take?

Or perhaps I've misunderstood.

Bobbi, Been on 9 TAs, mostly Celebrity. I did Ruby Princess TA several years ago. Sort of boring; not the interesting lectures, activities always on X. I know Princess has great itins but food was mediocre on longer cruises. Celebrity appeals to a wide range of cruisers. Had a singles table on Connie once with 7 other singles. I was only American, although several had dual citizenship.Great fun.

bobisailsolo

Having cruised solo for a number of cruises (death of my husband). I feel I can put in my own two cents worth.

First and IMO the most important is to define in your own mind, just what activities you want to do during the day, do you want fixed time dining, how many at table. Dress up for dinner or not?

It would not make sense to go out and buy a motor cycle if you want a town car ( or other way around).

Next is the time of year, cruising at Spring Break is very different to cruising when mostly it is seniors. Bearing in mind that NOT ALL seniors are doddering old fools.!!! Some of us still have our minds, and a sense of humour.

Having done all this "thinking" you are left with BIG ship, or regular size, roller skating or lectures?

This leaves cost. $50 a day or $500 a day? Do remember that you have to pay supplement as a solo, and the advertised price usually does not include taxes etc. READ the small print.

There are ships and trips I would love to take, but simply cannot afford the cost, and other ships I would not travel on because they are too big, too raucous, and mostly for the "how many drinks can I down in 10 mins " crowd.

Get as many brochures as you can persuade a travel agent to give you. ASK questions, do not take something for granted, try more than one agency before making the final decision, some will have better prices for the same cruise.

Good hunting, may you have calm seas, and a wonderful time.

Lynn

My first cruise was a TA and that was what interested me, to cross on water rather than air. I have taken 3 more since. The only thing that puts me off now is that you have to fly one way. I would go both ways without hesitation if it were offered, but it's not, at least not until 6 months later.

Edited by jamessemaj