Swollen feet on board

Cassandra14

Strange question I know but I have a problem with my feet swelling when on board. ..they are ok at home.

I once read a long thread on the subject and it seemed quite common. One of the theories was to do with the water treatment system. Anyone else had this problem?

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Strange question I know but I have a problem with my feet swelling when on board. ..they are ok at home.

I once read a long thread on the subject and it seemed quite common. One of the theories was to do with the water treatment system. Anyone else had this problem?

Never noticed it with me. Do make sure that you are as mobile as you can be. There's obviously tons of caloric intake(sounds so scientific)one may consume, so it's best to use a little moderation.

The same thing happened to me in 2015 onboard the Caribbean Princess. By my third day on board my feet were very swollen period on my 4th day it was also affecting my hands. I went downstairs and talk to the medical people who told me that with the salt in the air and the water and of course being on board a ship that a lot of times that happens to certain people. We are cruising this coming Sunday and I am taking a diuretic and drinking lots of water hoping to have better luck

Sent from my XT1650 using Forums mobile app

Common culprits:

Salt in food

Walking more than usual (incredibly, increased exercise can lead to water retention)

Chlorine in the water (its a thyroid suppressor, so it slows the metabolism) drink water from dining venues/bars or leave your tap water in the pitcher for a couple of hours to dissipate the chlorine.

Some remedies:

Elevating feet while sleeping (lifejacket under foot of mattress)

Standing in the pool (this doesn't reduce water retention, it just redistributes it from your ankles)

Capt BJ and Chengkp75 are right on. The water made on board exceeds what most of us get out of our taps at home. Excess food with excess sodium will do it every time. Not to forget, most of us consume a bit more alcohol per week than at home as well. :eek: Drink more water and use the stairs should help.:D

I sometimes have it in hot and humid summers, never on a ship, but here is what I do - it may help you as well.

I think the point is to activate the functioning of the veins, for instance by a massage of the legs, in direction of the heart, with a gel/cream that contains extracts of buckeye nuts.

It also helps to put up/raise the legs on a bed or a sofa while reading, watch TV or use the PC.

Swimming certainly helps and/or using special treatments on the ship's spa.

Finally, walking around the ship and using he staircases instead of the lift!

Best wishes to you.

I am not a physician. My father who travelled extensively with my mother on dozens of cruises began having this issue in his late 70's. He had a history of heart disease and his cardiologist at NYU did link this issue to his condition. He had two separate episodes of congestive heart failure while on two different cruises. I would suggest you have a medical doctor examine you and review this symptom. Of course, it could be unrelated and I hope it is. All the best.

56 Cruises and Counting! Bon Voyage to my fellow CC's and smooth sailing.

Planning a vacay is almost as much fun as the vacay itself!!!

This used to happen to me too & in my case I found it was a combination of two things: 1) drinking the water onboard & 2) taking Dramamine. I switched to drinking bottled water & taking Benadryl for seasickness (yes it does work) & no more swelling!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

This used to happen to me too & in my case I found it was a combination of two things: 1) drinking the water onboard & 2) taking Dramamine. I switched to drinking bottled water & taking Benadryl for seasickness (yes it does work) & no more swelling!!

That's interesting. ..hadn't thought it might be a side effect of seasickness medication. ...

That's interesting. ..hadn't thought it might be a side effect of seasickness medication. ...

When I switched to bottled water I noticed it helped but when I stopped the Dramamine that's when it finally stopped so I guess that was the primary culprit?

I always have the swollen feet and ankles problem on all cruises. I can eliminate the flight issue as we only sail from the UK. What I've done when they excessively swollen is to go to the on-board doctor and purchase a couple of water tablets - that usually does the trick.

As for the "salt" issue, I really don't know but I accept the problem (if a problem it is) and everything soon returns to normal once I'm home.

David