First time cruising on Anthem. Why are reviews so bad???

Raycin

Hi Everyone! Hoping you can answer some of my questions. We're taking our 10 year old son on his first cruise (and our first one in 13 years) I googled family friendly cruises and besides Disney cruises (which are totally out of our budget) the anthem of the seas popped up. I was instantly excited because it's out of New Jersey and we LOVE New York so we thought we would spend a few days there. Now I'm on Cruise Critic and seriously only 50% of families were happy on this ship!?! What's up with that? The quote I got is insanely cheap for such a new ship ($2300 on a balcony) and I'm just wondering if there are going to be all sorts of fees I wasn't expecting once we get on. I know about tipping and that some meals can cost extra, but what else costs money on the ship?

Also wondering about the balcony. The quote we got is for category x. So my guess is we'll get one that has an obstruction. Are we better off just getting an inside cabin or is the balcony still worth it? If I'm sitting down can I still see the ocean?

How does the whole dining concept work? Is the food good? Does the menu change every night or are we stuck with the same menu the whole trip?

We never take trips like this and it's hard to say when we're going to do it again so I just want to make sure we do it right. Any thoughts, different ships, or suggestions would be great!!! Thanks guys!!!

Don't believe everything you see on here, most people will find something to complain about. We sail on her in two weeks and can't wait.

Look through the posts for a review by Swim13 it is very long but quite a good story and the most honest I've read.

Everyone has their own feeling about what a cruise is to be. I would say go for it and not to let others sway you...

ENJOY!!! :cool:

Hi Everyone! Hoping you can answer some of my questions. We're taking our 10 year old son on his first cruise (and our first one in 13 years) I googled family friendly cruises and besides Disney cruises (which are totally out of our budget) the anthem of the seas popped up. I was instantly excited because it's out of New Jersey and we LOVE New York so we thought we would spend a few days there. Now I'm on Cruise Critic and seriously only 50% of families were happy on this ship!?! What's up with that? The quote I got is insanely cheap for such a new ship ($2300 on a balcony) and I'm just wondering if there are going to be all sorts of fees I wasn't expecting once we get on. I know about tipping and that some meals can cost extra, but what else costs money on the ship?

Also wondering about the balcony. The quote we got is for category x. So my guess is we'll get one that has an obstruction. Are we better off just getting an inside cabin or is the balcony still worth it? If I'm sitting down can I still see the ocean?

How does the whole dining concept work? Is the food good? Does the menu change every night or are we stuck with the same menu the whole trip?

We never take trips like this and it's hard to say when we're going to do it again so I just want to make sure we do it right. Any thoughts, different ships, or suggestions would be great!!! Thanks guys!!!

This is a great ship for families. I think part of the problem with the bad reviews is coming from the type of people that go on a ship from New York. We left from there one time, not on this ship, and never heard so much complaining on any other cruise ever, even the one that had engine trouble and we never touched a port for the whole cruise.

What time of the year are you going? We went to Bermuda at the end of July and would never do that again. The ship is beautiful and has some great amenities but was extremely crowded. Also, Dynamic Dining is overrated so you won't be missing much.

See my review:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2385297

I believe category X is a balcony guarantee, there is a good chance that you might get a deck 6 obstructed view, I stayed in one in March and was happy with it.

Most activities are included like Ifly, Northstar, bumper cars.

I believe most complaints came from the reservation process for Dynamic Dining, however the ship is converting to traditional and my time dining next month so it should function like most other ships.

I have sailed Anthem twice and will be considering her again in the future.

We did a Europe cruise on her when she was brand new,

no complaints about the ship, quite enjoyed the concept of dynamic dining.

The musical was a better for the live bands, than using say the pyramid lounge on Freedom class

We found the food in the MDR was not up to the usual standard and staff were either badly trained or run off their feet or both.

The bar staff were some of the grumpiest I've come across.

They were also rushed off their feet, i got the impression there were not enough staff for the amount of passengers.

Plus mainly UK passengers so probably not much additional tipping going on.

For the life of me I cannot figure people out with their negative comments about this ship. It is beautiful,very friendly crew and the food has been excellent. Only busy at certain times,but nothing so horrible as people say. Buffet seating is busy in front but walk to the back and you can always get a table. Guess some people want to be right by the food!

Loved all the activities, bumper cars are like adult camp! North Star great fun and no charge. We were on in Puerto Rico and had a fantastic view.

Come with a positive attitude and you will be very pleased.

Link to my review: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2416586&highlight=anthem

Tipping is $13.50/day/person, and that is automatic. Can tip additional if you like.

Some restaurants there is upcharge, 10 complimentary places to eat (inclusive).

Inside cabin was great with virtual balcony. 12583 is a good size inside room. Balconies give you the ability to see ocean as you see fit, but you can also go to 270 / Solarium / pool deck / etc to take it in.

Dining changing on 11.27.16 to traditional MDR concept and MTD. Given that, probably different menus each night. Food was great, service was great.

Enjoy the trip! You won't regret it.

Not sure why the bad reviews, but many of them were from some time ago. I just got off the AoTS last week, and many of crew I spoke with just signed new 7-8 month contracts. My experience was excellent. Oh, and yes, the crew was very friendly, especially in the dining areas.

Edited by ZambiniGold
added comment on crew

I believe category X is a balcony guarantee, there is a good chance that you might get a deck 6 obstructed view

I have sailed on two Anthem cruises with a category X balcony guarantee. Both times I was assigned a non-obstructed balcony (category D7 if I recall). They assigned me a cabin in the front of the ship both times, a quick call to RCL got me moved to the rear with no issue. To move, there has to be an available cabin in the exact category you were assigned - i.e. a D7 to another D7.

Having been on the Quantum/Anthem four times I can say I like the ship a lot. The only issue I ever had was with Dynamic Dining which is now gone.

We loved her too. A great design, spreads passengers out very well. Loads of fun things to do, great solarium and indoor pool. 270 is beautiful. We loved DD so it's a shame it's gone and seems to have been killed off due to regular cruisers not accepting something new. Bars are too small for the number of passengers, cabins are very well designed and spacious. We would have gone back on her next year but the absence of DD means we will go elsewhere. Don't fancy being in 'Silk' with that decor each night.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Why?

Because it's too different than previous ships.

We love it, and have our third cruise already booked on her.

Don't worry, and make your own opinion.

This will be a totally different cruising experience and a great ship for your family.

You will need reservations for the entertainment and 3 main shows. no charge.

There is no main MDR as others have stated, but 4 restaurants. Two will be used for Traditional, and two will be used for My Time. The menus will change each night.

You and your son will be wowed.

It is true about some New Yorkers complaining about everything. We have sailed from Bayonne many times and some are worst than others. Don't let it ruin your cruise, use it as a learning experience to teach your son how NOT to act. ;)

Go for it and have a great cruise. I can see your son now.......not wanting to leave Sea Plex and the bumper cars!!:) And all the hot dogs he wants.

Silk and American Icon will be reserved for My Time and Chic and The Grande will be for Traditional dining

Edited by Ocean Dancer

This will be a totally different cruising experience and a great ship for your family.

You will need reservations for the entertainment and 3 main shows. no charge.

There is no main MDR as others have stated, but 4 restaurants. Two will be used for Traditional, and two will be used for My Time. The menus will change each night.

You and your son will be wowed.

It is true about some New Yorkers complaining about everything. We have sailed from Bayonne many times and some are worst than others. Don't let it ruin your cruise, use it as a learning experience to teach your son how NOT to act. ;)

Go for it and have a great cruise. I can see your son now.......not wanting to leave Sea Plex and the bumper cars!!:) And all the hot dogs he wants.

Silk and American Icon will be reserved for My Time and Chic and The Grande will be for Traditional dining

This is what I am looking forward to, and I am a Grandma.

I can't wait to sail on the Anthem, she is such a different ship. Looking at a Fall 2018 Canada trip, when the itineraries come out. Unfortunately she was the ship that had the storm "issues" and some people may post bad reviews about that too.

This is what I am looking forward to, and I am a Grandma.

I can't wait to sail on the Anthem, she is such a different ship. Looking at a Fall 2018 Canada trip, when the itineraries come out. Unfortunately she was the ship that had the storm "issues" and some people may post bad reviews about that too.

I'm a GM too, and DH had to pry me away from the bumper cars. I also did I-Fly and loved it.

We were on Anthem three times and each trip was great! We had no problem with Dynamic Dining but it will be gone anyway. We are from New York and really are nice people!!! We had an obstructed view balcony on deck 6 and had no issues. The crew were friendly and really took care of my allergy issues, went out of their way to feed me! Loved the shows, just make reservations for the three main ones and you will be fine.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We were on Anthem three times and each trip was great! We had no problem with Dynamic Dining but it will be gone anyway. We are from New York and really are nice people!!! We had an obstructed view balcony on deck 6 and had no issues. The crew were friendly and really took care of my allergy issues, went out of their way to feed me! Loved the shows, just make reservations for the three main ones and you will be fine.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Hi DD, not bashing everyone from the Big Apple, but if you live there you know what I mean.

We also liked DD dining and was very surprised at how nice our balcony on deck 6 was.:)

We are from Long Island.We might sound a little different,but us New YOWKERS got class and moxy.Cruised last Nov on Anthem and absolutely loved it. After sailing on the Explorer 10 times,and we miss it big time,Athem filled our Explorer void nicely.Can't wait for the Nov.27th cruise.Big changes happening,and it will be interesting to see how we all deal with it.Of course we New YOWKERS will have no problem.Fuggetaboutit! Have a safe and wonderful cruise everybody.:cool: