HAL Muster Drill

Bosch

Just got off the Koningsdam, and we were very impressed with the new - indoor - muster drill procedure. No more standing in the searing heat on the Promenade deck, and no more antiquated calling of cabin numbers since all cabin cards are now scanned. Long, long overdue.

My question is: Does this new procedure now apply to HAL's Vista and Signature class ships? Would like to hear from those who have recently disembarked from any of these ships. Thx.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Doubt it. They built the ship so that muster could be done inside. Other ships were not designed that way.
It's not so much that the muster could be done inside as it has to be done inside because the promenade is too narrow to do it there. Our muster station was the MDR on deck 3, and there were others on deck 2. I believe others mustered in the World Stage, etc. I see no reason that the same can't be done on the Vista and Signature ships. Edited by jtl513

Just got off the Koningsdam, and we were very impressed with the new - indoor - muster drill procedure. No more standing in the searing heat on the Promenade deck, and no more antiquated calling of cabin numbers since all cabin cards are now scanned. Long, long overdue.

My question is: Does this new procedure now apply to HAL's Vista and Signature class ships? Would like to hear from those who have recently disembarked from any of these ships. Thx.

May we hope all real emergencies when it really counts are as accommodating. Electronic scanners working perfectly and sun and weather in 100% cooperation. :confused:

C'mon folks. If we can't get through a few moments of "inconvenience" please do not get on my life boat.

May we hope all real emergencies when it really counts are as accommodating. Electronic scanners working perfectly and sun and weather in 100% cooperation. :confused:

C'mon folks. If we can't get through a few moments of "inconvenience" please do not get on my life boat.

I agree. Couldn't of said it better myself.

Allan

HAL has simply followed the trend of others. We suspect the Koningsdam Promanade is not wide enough to comfortably hold all the passengers during the drill. That is the reason many other lines (like Celebrity and Princess) have moved their drills indoors.

Hank

HAL has simply followed the trend of others. We suspect the Koningsdam Promanade is not wide enough to comfortably hold all the passengers during the drill. That is the reason many other lines (like Celebrity and Princess) have moved their drills indoors.

Hank

It is documented the Promenade Deck is too narrow.

HAL has simply followed the trend of others.
And the change in SOLAS rules since Concordia.

We suspect the Koningsdam Promanade is not wide enough to comfortably hold all the passengers during the drill.
Even the wide promenades on Vista and Signature ships can not do it "comfortably" IMO, and the K's promenade is about half the width ... for 400 more passengers.

Edited by jtl513

I was on the Oosterdam last week and the muster drill was held outdoor on the Promenade Deck. Life vests were not required and key cards were scanned.

This drill did not seem to last as long as other drills that I can recall. I think the scanners have sped up the process. Also, B2B cruisers on the second leg of their cruise were not required to attend.

We were back to back to back on the Prinsendam last, and this, month, and muster went as always in the past. Stateroom numbers were called out if you had not reported in, and everyone had to attend each muster drill. I didn't see any scanners. Muster went fairly quickly. If everyone did as they were told it might go faster!

The new "bell" system can be confusing for some people.

And the change in SOLAS rules since Concordia.

[/size].

I have posted this before but it is just not true. There is no SOLAS rules 'because of CONCORDIA' and that muster be done inside.

This is a design choice. Do you want a nice wide open promenade deck with the boats above (with lots of cabins with obstructed views from balconies) OR you have a narrow 'corridor' with muster inside in a lounge. SOLAS approve that. A lot of brand new ships are being built with open prom decks with boats above... see the new Viking ships and also Saga newbuilds.

This is 'owner' choice.

The SOLAS rules relate to the way muster drill are done, nothing to do with location of the muster or the location of the boats.

See:

Cruise ship passenger drill requirements come into force on 1 January 2015

Briefing: 45, December 23, 2014

​From 1 January 2015, passengers must undergo safety drills, including mustering at the lifeboat stations, before the ship departs or immediately on departure​.

​New requirements for musters of newly embarked passengers prior to or immediately upon departure come into force on 1 January 2015. *

Further SOLAS amendments entering into force address enclosed-space entry and rescue drills and the code for recognized organizations.*

Passenger muster*

The amended regulation III/19 in the International Convention for the Safety of Life at Sea was adopted in 2013 in the wake of the Costa Concordia incident, to ensure that passengers undergo safety drills, including mustering at the lifeboat stations, before the ship departs or immediately on departure. *

Previously, the requirement was for the muster of passengers to take place within 24 hours of their embarkation. *

End.

If you have information say that boats MUST be located on the deck as KODM and not... please let me. I will definitely follow up.

Stephen

I have posted this before but it is just not true.

If you have information say that boats MUST be located on the deck as KODM and not... please let me. I will definitely follow up.

Nope, just repeating what I have read on CC ... and I guess what I read was wrong! Thanks! :)

Nope, just repeating what I have read on CC ... and I guess what I read was wrong! Thanks! :)

Thanks back. I heard this a few weeks ago and I am sure it wasn't you wrote it originally. I have the correct information to the OP and he blew me off because some 'officer' gave the reason. Well, It just isn't correct. He didn't come back.

Stephen

Just off the Eurodam and we all gathered at our stations in the sun and heat and waited for our room number to be called out. We used to go early to these drills as it is in our nature to be on time, but now we plan to arrive late so that we do not have to be smushed in the middle.

Got off yesterday from Nieuw Amsterdam. Two weeks cruise (B2B). Muster was on deck, outside , calling names and cabin numbers. Some people were very late. Officer had to ask for silence so we could hear instructions. At least we were on the shade side. DH can't stand for long. Glad to hear new peocedure is beeing introduced.

We also always went as soon as asked. But having to stand extra time because we are waiting for late arrivals makes us wonder if we should wait and join at last minute...

Edited by Sailingpeace

Thanks for the info. We will soon be on the Koningsdam and this will be a welcomed change.

I have posted this before but it is just not true. There is no SOLAS rules 'because of CONCORDIA' and that muster be done inside.

This is a design choice. Do you want a nice wide open promenade deck with the boats above (with lots of cabins with obstructed views from balconies) OR you have a narrow 'corridor' with muster inside in a lounge. SOLAS approve that. A lot of brand new ships are being built with open prom decks with boats above... see the new Viking ships and also Saga newbuilds.

This is 'owner' choice.

Stephen

Right again, Capt. This is all about the money, it has nothing to do with passenger comfort. A wide, open air promenade that can accommodate all the passengers at muster, and still provide access along the deck, is not revenue generating space. Reducing the size of the promenade increases the amount of indoor revenue generating spaces, like the restaurants and theaters where you muster on the K.

While it could happen, I've never heard of a ship changing from outdoor muster to indoor muster during it's life cycle. This is a very costly endeavor, requiring computer algorithms and simulations of crowd control and panic scenarios, as well as studying what happens when exit routes are blocked, etc, etc. Then both the flag state and the class society have to sign off on the changes, then documentation on the ship, procedure manuals, signage, etc, etc, have to be changed. This is why it doesn't happen.

As for the Concordia, again, the Capt. is correct, the only regulatory change is to when the muster drill must take place. The other lesson I hope has been taken from the Concordia, is to call the passenger muster in a timely fashion, the failure to do so on the Concordia is the sole reason, in my professional opinion, that lives were lost.

There should be no consideration of "comfort" when dealing with passenger muster. It is an emergency, and just like the crew you rely on in an emergency, you drill as close as possible to the real thing, so you know what to expect. A standard saying in industry is that the person most responsible for your safety is the one looking back at you in the mirror, so if a senior feels faint, speak up, let the crew know, and it will be dealt with. There are crew assigned to deal with this. And HAL has a special needs muster station, indoors, (though I've had reliable reports that at least one ship denies this), where those with medical or mobility issues can go.

Edited by chengkp75