Nola

Kkross

Thanks for info. We will be staying there as a jazz festival seems to have booked up all the hotels in town the weekend of our cruise.

We have run into the same problem with our July 4th cruise. The Essence Festival is in town and we have to stay near the airport. We decided to stay one night before the cruise and 2 nights after. We got a great rate at the Bourbon Orleans for after the cruise.

Staying near the airport is no fun. You need to be in The French Quarter. Do whatever you have to do to stay there. Worth it.

During French Quarter Fest that is likely not possible. The hotels book up a year in advance for the festival, and the same for Jazzfest and Mardi Gras.

Taxi's the morning of the cruise should not be a problem, all the taxi drivers in Jefferson Parish will want to get down to the Quarter area to pick up new fares.

Staying near the airport is no fun. You need to be in The French Quarter. Do whatever you have to do to stay there. Worth it.

I knew the French Quarter was closer! We stayed in the Quarter last summer...oh what fun that was. And what a great kick off to a cruise that would be :)

A cab ride costs $33 from the airport to the Central Business District downtown for one person and $14 per passenger for three or more passengers. Pick-up is on the lower level, outside the baggage claim area. There may be an additional charge for extra baggage. Once downtown, if you need a taxi to the cruise port and there is a festival in town, be sure to call ahead and make a reservation for pick-up.

Another option for airport to downtown transportation is Airport Shuttle New Orleans dot com. They charge a flat $24 per person from the airport to downtown hotels, or $44 per person roundtrip. I have used them and found them to be very reliable. Cheaper group rates are available. Once you claim your luggage in baggage claim, proceed to the curb outside baggage claim #10 to catch the shuttle.

It is the life blood of NO. Restaurants, Bars, Music Venues, plus other assorted interesting entertainment choices

I guess it depends who you are. We are a family that would arrive the day before. With that in mind the French quarter doesn't really look too family friendly. I'm thinking a hotel with convenient access to the port and or airport with good on-premises recreational activities.

The port is next door to the French Quarter. It connects to the Riverwalk Outlet Mall and then one more block and you are at the edge of the Quarter. There are lots of family activities in New Orleans. If you look through the boards you will find them. We have a beautiful aquarium just 1-2 blocks or so from the port. The walk along the river can be amazing to little ones with the big ships so close. There is a nice Children's Museum about 1-2 miles away and the Audubon Zoo is fairly close, too. I would not take little ones to Bourbon Street, but kids would love to see the French Market and all of the different vendors. You can take a streetcar ride along the river which will let you off by the Market. You can also take a longer ride on the Canal St. or St. Charles Ave. lines.

There are many things to do and see - New Orleans is not just for adults.

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the tips and info. Helped me validate my decision to just use Carnival's airport/ship transfers day of cruise (we're staying at airport hotel) and a taxi to visit French Quarter, if we have time.

On a Saturday night, typically how late will the French Quarter be "up", LOL? We're hoping for a flight that arrives at 7:00PM the night before the cruise and wonder how late the night life goes.

Thanks!

Gina

Thanks for the tips and info. Helped me validate my decision to just use Carnival's airport/ship transfers day of cruise (we're staying at airport hotel) and a taxi to visit French Quarter, if we have time.

On a Saturday night, typically how late will the French Quarter be "up", LOL? We're hoping for a flight that arrives at 7:00PM the night before the cruise and wonder how late the night life goes.

Thanks!

Gina

The party is on until the last person leaves. LOL. Bourbon St. has a distinctive smell though. Kinda like Clorox, Pine Sol and sewer. Other than that it's pretty cool. You'll see stuff you've never seen before. And some you might wish you hadn't. :)

Thanks!

Gina

In my younger days I once stayed at a dance club on bourbon street until after 6am...and it was still open when I left.

Also if you are not staying in the city you can google "New Orleans Cruise Hotel packages". This will get you a room, transfer to the boat, and transfer back and if drive in they will let you stay parked at hotel for additional cost. Don't know how reasonable they are but there are a few outside the city that do this.