RCI not diabetic friendly

They have room service available. Or you can be prepared and grab something from the WJ beforehand. You may have noticed that Princess is not the same cruiseline as RCCL.

I have sailed on both and on neither cruise line was I ever left hungry - there are always options. The hours of each venue are published so you can be prepared. As a diabetic, I would think you would plan better.

My husband s diabetic, and he had no problem:

Room service is always available. The cheese tray is good, as are the chicken wings.

The pizza place probably serves salads.

You can bring snacks back from the windjammer or dining room for later. Tell your waiter your situation, and he will fix you a snack for later.

My husband likes nuts for snacks; you can get a carafe of trail mix at the British pub.

Diabetics absolutely do have to work a little harder at getting what they need . . . But that's true in our hometown as well as at sea.

I am on ENOS now i am on early seating at 5 30 by 930 i need something to eat the wj closes at 9 solarium at 10 opens on ccl i can go to the deli or pizza on princess the buffet is open 24/7

Your sweeping generalization is completely unfair. Many of us diabetics have successfully completely many cruises with RCI. It's up to you to look after your health and to prepare in advance for your late night snack.

I am on ENOS now i am on early seating at 5 30 by 930 i need something to eat the wj closes at 9 solarium at 10 opens on ccl i can go to the deli or pizza on princess the buffet is open 24/7

I hope that you can work out the scheduling challanges soon.

I am a diabetic as well and don't see that your problem is something so insurmountable that it can't be dealt with. If you need something to eat at 9:30 you already know that you can get something until 10pm in the solarium and after 10 PM you can order from room service. You could also get food from the Windjammer before it closes and bring it to your stateroom for later or pack and carry with you, prepackaged snacks to deal with situations that might arise. Claiming that RCI is "not diabetic friendly" is extremely unfair and not an accurate portrayal of reality.

Is this REALLY a thread about having trouble finding food on a cruise ship? REALLY? :cool: Oh the horror! :D

Ive never had problems finding food on a cruise ship yet, 24 hours a day.

Agree with others, its unfair to call RCI "unfriendly" to diabetics. Many, many folks with diabetes and other health conditions travel all the time with no issues. Again, room service, pick up something to take back to your room, or how about having brought things from home you would need?

Has the times of the Solarium Cafe changed because when we were on Enchantment last April the Solarium Cafe was opened from 10PM until 2AM for late night snacks.

I am a diabetic too and its up to me to make sure I have food when I need it.

I carry packaged snacks from home when I travel anywhere in the world. I also carry dried fruit and nuts.

On cruises I always make sure there is either a fruit bowl in the room or I pick up a fruit and keep it in the room. I cannot remember the room service menu but doesnt it include a fruit plate?

Pizza at night is bad for a diabetic in any case but fruit/cheese/nuts are ideal.

Finally if you like Princess go on princess!

Has the times of the Solarium Cafe changed because when we were on Enchantment last April the Solarium Cafe was opened from 10PM until 2AM for late night snacks.

Seems like the OP would rather complain than be proactive. Your health is your responsibility not the cruiseline's. What do they do if staying in a hotel?

Pizza at night is bad for a diabetic in any case but fruit/cheese/nuts are ideal.

Yeah, since you mentioned it I will chime in here also that pizza is not all that carb-friendly, and *ahem* who can stop at one slice? :D:o:D

Agreed, there are better choices for snacks and it's up to each person to take care of his/her diabetes management and not blame the cruise line. :rolleyes:

Really??? It's called managing your condition. Plan accordingly.

I have found the staff members of the cruises I have been on to have bent over backwards for anything they could do.

OP, maybe check with guest services and place a standing order for an evening snack, to be delivered at a certain time. I feel sure you could pick something off a menu that would suit your medical requirements.

Good luck, and healthy cruising.

we bring our own snacks from home to keep in the room for diabetic husband. He plans his exercise and pump boluses according to what he ate at a meal. RCI has no problem with me hauling onboard juice boxes and peanut butter snack cracker packs (Austin brand). I also bring Twizzlers or Jolly Rogers, I don't have to convince him to eat those if I suspect he's going hypoglycemic on me. Twice he has had seizures in the middle of night due to getting too low, I was able to take care of it myself with what I had stashed instead of calling medical. The point of all this, as noted by other posters, is that you plan and prepare to take care of yourself.

Would second seating have been a better choice ? Or like other posters have said you can always use room service , I am sure if you spoke to the head waiter he would give you something to take with you for your cabin ,when we cruised with our grandsons they didn't want a dessert , the waiter appeared with a tray of cookies for them to take back to the cabin ,we didn't even ask for them , I am sure if you spoke to your waiter or head waiter they would help ,I do think that you need to prepare for your health requirements yourself and plan better , royal is not to blame if you don't speak up .

Seems like the OP would rather complain than be proactive. Your health is your responsibility not the cruiseline's. What do they do if staying in a hotel?

Love it! Really wish people would take responsibility for themselves and not expect others to do it for them.

we bring our own snacks from home to keep in the room for diabetic husband. He plans his exercise and pump boluses according to what he ate at a meal. RCI has no problem with me hauling on board juice boxes and peanut butter snack cracker packs (Austin brand). I also bring Twizzlers or Jolly Rogers, I don't have to convince him to eat those if I suspect he's going hypoglycemic on me. Twice he has had seizures in the middle of night due to getting too low, I was able to take care of it myself with what I had stashed instead of calling medical. The point of all this, as noted by other posters, is that you plan and prepare to take care of yourself.

I agree with everything you said. After having lived through 42 years of having Diabetes I have learned it is my responsibility to be prepared for any eventuality. Plan ahead is a key, I always bring a few cookies down from tbe WJ and hold them in case I become Hypo. I also carry lifesavers with me for unforeseen emergencies.

To the OP, Don't Blame RCCL for your inability to plan ahead.

Mike

Congratulations on being perhaps the first person to ever post on CC that they weren't able to find any food on a cruise ship! :p

My husband has been insulin dependent since he was a teen-ager, never had problems finding food. However, he has never been on the Enchantment, so you might be right. I have been on her once but don't remember the food situation after 10:00.

Good luck, if you are insulin dependent you should always have a piece of fruit or a candy bar in your statement room, just in case your blood sugar level drops. If you go into a insulin reaction you could always drink a sugar type drink (soda, OJ).

Archived