Bring back real entertainment

secoma4

There have been numerous references to the great entertainment provided over many years by the Filipino bands that featured on the smaller ships. If there is one thing lacking on the Oddysey class ships it's this format which, has had wide appeal. Not only were the entertainers highly regarded by the passengers, they could ensure that areas like The Club had a life after 10:00pm. They could play anything and match the tone of the crowd they were playing to. Bring back Speedy and Christina et al!

There have been numerous references to the great entertainment provided over many years by the Filipino bands that featured on the smaller ships. If there is one thing lacking on the Oddysey class ships it's this format which, has had wide appeal. Not only were the entertainers highly regarded by the passengers, they could ensure that areas like The Club had a life after 10:00pm. They could play anything and match the tone of the crowd they were playing to. Bring back Speedy and Christina et al!

Totally agree with this sentiment. We got of the Sojourn mid February and both with my mid cruise and post cruise survey I mentioned this issue. As much as the guitarist was very good we found that when he started playing the dance floor would empty. His set of 40 minutes or more was too long for people to keep waiting late at night.

We did explore the ports during the day but enjoyed having a chance to dance in the evening. I think Seabourn would be wise to remember some of us like to enjoy the club in the evening by dancing.

When I chatted to Handre our CD regarding returning to the duo's on the bigger ships, he hinted this was something that corporate were looking at. I for one hope this is not only something they look at but put back in place.

Here, here! The two times we were on the big ships we almost never went to the Club. Those bands have no personality and seem to be phoning it in. I think Speedy and Christina will be on our final Legend cruise so will see what is up. Fingers and toers crossed.

And on the subject of entertainment and conversations with Handre, I recently left Sojourn a couple of weeks after frantic36 did.

I want to focus on the Grand Salon shows.... What does everyone think about the notion of the CD playing the usual "no photography etc" message before the shows with another line added about respecting the performers and other passengers by refraining from talking during shows?

I think this might go a long way towards the goal of allowing everyone to hear and thereby enjoy these shows. What do you think? And why hasn't this commonsense idea been implemented yet? Handre seemed disinterested.

Happy sailing!

I thought the guitarist on Sojourn was outstanding. But he is a classical guitarist and not a dance guy. Great to listen to if you enjoy that kind of guitar.

We were only on Sojourn for two weeks (too short!) but we hardly ever went into the club. Now I am not a dancer but I do like to listen to music. Sadly the band didn't do it for me. I did, however, like the pianist in the Observation Lounge.

For the first time on a cruise we didn't go to any shows. We tend to be bad about shows because we like long conversational dinners in the MDR. And there were no shows on this cruise which persuaded us to cut those dinners short.

Seabourn is not the line to choose for entertainment.........

However, should you wish to be entertained by Markham and his daily ethnic attire which embraces whichever country you happen to be in.....feel free!:D

Never mind about jimmyw9. I suspect he was one of those attending shows in the Grand Salon and was chattering away until others suggested he be quiet or leave. Which apparently he did and now does not return (even though he says he does not hold store by Seabourn's entertainment...) It's better all around this way, anyway.

Back to the question about the CD formally requesting that passengers not talk during the shows, what do you think? If people get the message will they comply?

Happy sailing!

Markham,

I shall treat this as a rhetorical question because you know as well I do the the people who need to be reminded to be courteous are the same people who will ignore the announcement and do as they jolly well please.

Regarding entertainment, I would never chose Seabourn for the entertainment, however, that is not high on my priority list when selecting a cruise. I view a leisurely dinner with good, food, wine, service and company as my primary evening's entertainment. That said we do enjoy a nice post dinner venue where we can listen to some music and maybe take a twirl or two around the dance floor. And speaking of the big ship's Club, my other beef beyond the musicians is the layout of the space -- truly awkward arrangement of the dance floor, seating and stage.

Chairsin,

I am on the same track that you are regarding the reason I choose Seabourn- it's not for the entertainment- and it is for the socializing Seabourn supports: the beautiful Observation Bar followed by a delicious and relaxed, long dinner make a fine evening.

And because of the distractions caused by the louts who won't shut up, well, I seldom go to the Grand Salon shows. It's not worth the trouble. I was hoping, though, that someone might deliver on a solution. I guess it's not gonna happen...

Thanks for the feedback and enjoy your warm and dry Tucson weather. We need some of that in London!

Happy cruising!

I agree - we don't choose Seabourn just for the entertainment but when we know that there is a format that many enjoy and it is abandoned in favour of a "manufactured" group called "The Band" that doesn't work there is a better option available. The problem with The Band is that they are a group of musicians and a singer put together for the period of their contracts. Whilst all competent in their own fields there is often little synergy, spontaneity or personality. You get from the seasoned entertainers like Speedy and Christina who also have great versatility and work well with the passengers in other onboard roles.

You get from the seasoned entertainers like Speedy and Christina who also have great versatility and work well with the passengers in other onboard roles.

Just a few days ago, I saw another thread that reported Speedy and Christina are headed to one of the Big Sisters in the near future. I can't remember the thread (I think one of the live threads from the Legend), but I was thrilled to read the news. I was also on Sojourn for the past several weeks, and was told there would be a return of the duos. The guitar music from talented musicians, while lovely before dinner, was like a glass of warm milk for us in the late evenings. zzz

The cynic in me thinks that if the entertainment is not good then guests go to bed early and so Seabourn do not have to serve drinks that are inclusive in the fare.

Hardly cynical, they have followed the Silversea model. Seabourn spends more to house/feed/pay the horrible band concept. Silversea goes the cheaper Filipino route with a nice looking female karaoke singer backed by a guy pretending play a piano. End result is same.......less booze poured.

The cynic in me thinks that if the entertainment is not good then guests go to bed early and so Seabourn do not have to serve drinks that are inclusive in the fare.

Damn funny! Good thing they don't know you can get drinks at the Square, Sky Bar, or your room!

Hardly cynical, they have followed the Silversea model. Seabourn spends more to house/feed/pay the horrible band concept. Silversea goes the cheaper Filipino route with a nice looking female karaoke singer backed by a guy pretending play a piano. End result is same.......less booze poured.

But the Filipino bands we are talking about here are REAL entertainers and musicians who form a great rapport with the passengers and can play anything. They don't have fixed play lists and play according to the mood/ wishes of the audience. For The Club, in particular, they make it a real entertainment venue rather than just providing background music.

We will be on Quest in a few weeks for a Med cruise, and I was really hoping for a nice duo/band to dance to. I have always enjoyed the Filipino bands, and I am disappointed if they are not playing during our 2 week cruise.

We usually attend the entertainment venue for the show, and I like to dance for a while afterwards. We spend much of our day to day life working, and I love to take advantage of onboard entertainment, for a nice well rounded cruise!

there is much discussion about Speedy & Christina. It's been confirmed that they will not be under contract on the larger ships - a dreadful turn of events. It makes me so very sad & I hope that one day soon Seabourn will recognize their mistake.

I agree that an announcement should be made and isn't that just a little bit sad that people are either so I'll mannered or just plain oblivious that they don't know to NOT talk and take flash pictures.

As I am lucky enough to frequent Broadway shows so I don't usually bother with shipboard entertainment. I'd rather linger over dinner and then have a night cap in one of the quiet lounges.

I'm going way back bt I would always go to Eric De Grays shows and David E Greene. Loved them.

For those of us responding to this topic, and who actually sail on Seabourn, the action we can take is to complete the post-cruise questionnaire with this feedback. Eventually, something might get through. My issues will be this one (ie the contrived Bands) and smoking. The others tend to be cruise specific.

I've said it before on here, we were actually quite pleasantly surprised with the entertainment on Seabourn.

Coming from Royal Caribbean with its army of performers, acres of space and millions of dollars with of hardware SB was never going to hold court with RC so we wrote it off but in the event we found a variety of after dinner performances to enjoy.

I do agree that SB is a victim of its own success in terms of extended dinners and long chats with new friends. I would much rather cry with laughter over a few drinks than dance to a band, Pilipino or otherwise but that's just me.

As it is there was something for everyone. Of course improvements can always be found but we have been surprised (in a positive way) with our couple of trips out.

Henry :)