Best location

Kas44

I am hoping to go on a first cruise in 2017 and wanted to know the best location on the ship for quietness . I would like to have a balcony. Wondered if midship. Thanks

Cabins above and below, half way between lifts. Watch out for white spaces around you on deck plans

For whatever cruise line or ship you are considering, go to the cruise line's website and look at deck plan for the ship to get an idea of where verandah cabins are located. Look at the deck plan for the deck above any cabin your are considering to see what is above it. Some cabins might be under a location which had deck chairs or other potentially noisy activities. Also, look at the deck under your cabin location.

On the deck you will be considering, the white/empty spaces could be things like kitchens/equipment rooms, etc. which could be noisy.

Finally if you are still not certain about a cabin, come back to Cruise Critic and ask if anyone has stayed in the cabin or cabins you are considering.

Basically, just like you are doing now: homework pays!

Have fun! :)

Bill S has the right idea, gives good advice. Engine room noise and vibrations is sometimes reported on some ships, mostly older ones. Newer ships may have external propulsion pods. Away from self-service laundries may also be advisable. Hot steamy environments can waft along nearby passageways. The pricing structure should give you somer clues, paying more may - may - be quieter.

Some people like the aft balcony cabins because (at least on some cruise lines) they tend to have large balconies. But they tend to be a long walk from the elevators. When traveling alone or with friends, I go aft. When traveling with older people, I go midships because of proximity to the elevators. I've never experienced a noise problem with being near the elevators.

Edited by blueblock

Always book a cabin with cabins, not public spaces, above you. Avoid the big, noisy party ships like CCL.NCL and RCL.

...and cabins below you is a good idea as well. BTW...we have well over 30 cruises on RCL and they are not all big noisy party ships;

in fact we have yet to encounter that situation on any of our RCL cruises.

I am hoping to go on a first cruise in 2017 and wanted to know the best location on the ship for quietness . I would like to have a balcony. Wondered if midship. Thanks

The best location is low and center. However, there you are better off if you can see the horizon, which means a floor to ceiling window, and there are none of those at the water line in the middle of the ship.

So the lowest balcony near the center of the ship is your best bet.

One may always think they are picking the "perfect" cabin or location. Sure, you can take all of the advise above, but you are always going to have the chance of having the neighbors from HELL.

Unlike older cruise ships the sound buffers in today's ships are outstanding. Neighbors can't make a difference unless they pound on walls or doors.

The bigger concern is when the crew swabs the deck (do they call it that anymore) very early in the morning and noisily drag tables and chairs accross the deck. The other concern is if you are above (below, alongside) a party lounge offering high decibel "music" at very late hours.

Hi everyone. Booked a cruise last night. Wondering about the cabin though. Navigator of the Seas on deck 12. So excited but should we try to get a bit lower.

Thanks in advance.

Shy

Many people say mid-ship lower deck is best, but the sickest I have been on any cruise, was an oceanview cabin mid-ship, on a very low floor. Now, I book mid-ship, highest floor possible in my price range. I find we feel the movement less, the higher we go.

But, that is just my opinion.

Edited by ProfessorandtheGeek