Oasis of the Seas Bars Woman After Asking If She's Pregnamt

It's funny how I did not direct this comment at anyone specific but the cheerleaders subconsciously know who they are! In all seriousness, did not mean to offend anyone and you should not take my comments figuratively but RCL is in the wrong here. Unless they asked everyone whether they were pregnant, they are flat out wrong.

WOW, so you are not only the ultmiate board Police to decide who´s allowed to post what, now you are also the one to make the ultimate decision who´s right or wrong.

I guess I should be impressed:rolleyes:. I´m not though, just sad for someone with such a superinflated ego not even noticing how wrong they are.

I agree that she probably should have read her cruise docs carefully before leaving, but JMO, it's a stupid policy.

Ask anyone on the subway and they'll say "pregnant women? They're just fine. Pregnancy isn't an illness. No need to give up a seat for them."

In the follow up story, a doctor at Mount Sinai (which has one of the best ob/gyn / neonatal care departments) said that travel in and of itself doesn't cause harm to an unborn child, no matter how many weeks along it is.

As someone said, given the average age of most cruisers, shouldn't we all be showing up with doctor's notes?

And if this woman was given the all clear by her doctor and then, because most doctors can't see into the future, she miscarried when she had no previous history of doing so, is the ship's sick bay going to ignore her because she had a note? I don't see how a note protects anyone from anything.

Some excursions recommend pregnant people, or those with heart or back problems not do them, and in those cases I can see giving a warning and asking for a waiver to be signed.

Since pregnancy isn't an illness or a disease, I don't see how they can ask for a doctor's note for this, and not for everyone who could possibly have something wrong with them.

I just checked my Docs for my next 2 cruises and the "note" phrase is in both. Page 19 section 12

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Interesting. I quoted what my cruise contract said for section 12 further upthread and no note was mentioned.

But everyone is saying "it's in the contract". So now everyone is expected to not only read the contract, but read all the FAQs? :confused:

It's in the contract, it's on page 22 of my cruise docs for my upcoming cruise.

I agree that she probably should have read her cruise docs carefully before leaving, but JMO, it's a stupid policy.

Ask anyone on the subway and they'll say "pregnant women? They're just fine. Pregnancy isn't an illness. No need to give up a seat for them."

In the follow up story, a doctor at Mount Sinai (which has one of the best ob/gyn / neonatal care departments) said that travel in and of itself doesn't cause harm to an unborn child, no matter how many weeks along it is.

As someone said, given the average age of most cruisers, shouldn't we all be showing up with doctor's notes?

And if this woman was given the all clear by her doctor and then, because most doctors can't see into the future, she miscarried when she had no previous history of doing so, is the ship's sick bay going to ignore her because she had a note? I don't see how a note protects anyone from anything.

Some excursions recommend pregnant people, or those with heart or back problems not do them, and in those cases I can see giving a warning and asking for a waiver to be signed.

Since pregnancy isn't an illness or a disease, I don't see how they can ask for a doctor's note for this, and not for everyone who could possibly have something wrong with them.

On a ship they stabilize you until they can get to the nearest hospital. If it is deemed to be that dire they deviate the ship from its planned route. Otherwise, they stabilize and get the patient to the next port of call's hospital.

For whatever reason cruise lines have put pregnancy into another classification of health care and added specific guidelines for this one aspect. Perhaps because they have dealt with premature births or miscarriages and they no longer want to be responsible for this specialized aspect of care on board. Especially, as they might not have the equipment to care for this type of emergency. It is not to say that it hasn't or could not happen again, as it is an emergency.

The letter is to notify the medical team, as well as the cruise line, that there is/are pregnant cruiser(s) and their medical status while on board. No one knows if this specific person in the news article had a history of miscarrying or not. If she was cleared to travel by her doctor at home and had a problem arose they would take care of her. Even if she didn't claim to be pregnant they would take the best care of her that they could, it is their profession.

You state, “I don't see how they can ask for a doctor's note for this, and not for everyone who could possibly have something wrong” but they do make the contract that the cruiser accepts when they purchase the cruise. Right VS wrong isn’t the case in RC's eyes, as it is their rules. If the consumer doesn't like the contract they can purchase elsewhere or not purchase at all. It doesn't make it right, but they own the ship.

Edited by A&L_Ont

WOW, so you are not only the ultmiate board Police to decide who´s allowed to post what, now you are also the one to make the ultimate decision who´s right or wrong.

I guess I should be impressed:rolleyes:. I´m not though, just sad for someone with such a superinflated ego not even noticing how wrong they are.

Cheerleaders at their finest!

I know RCI's IT department is what it is. But how hard would it be to add a single question to the online check-in as to whether the passenger is pregnant or not. It doesn't need to prevent one from checking in but it could display a pop-up or note reminding the passenger of the policy if they answer yes.

I understand their policy but more overt notification about the potential inability to board due to a natural occurance might be beneficial to all involved.

One of the more complete news articles linked to previously, did indicate a comment from RCI that they are working to help prevent something like this from happening in the future.

No one likes to be denied boarding but it's also not in the cruiseline's best interest to deny boarding either.

So let's say your period is due today, and you take a home pregnancy test. If you take it the morning you are leaving for your cruise and it tests positive, then you had better have had a visit to your doctor and get a note stating that you are safe to cruise.

If you instead take that same pregnancy test twelve hours later, the moment you step on the ship, then there is no concern, and no note required. You are exactly the same amount pregnant!!

Does anyone else not see how ludicrous this is? In my opinion no woman should be required to provide a note for a pregnancy that is so early it has not even been confirmed by a doctor yet. Getting in to see your OB/GYN is not something that you can do at the drop of a hat. Most of them don't even want to see you before you are six weeks along.

Edited by cello56

Rcci need to comply with whatever is relevant to their insurance. Pax answer either truthfully or not. Then the onus is on the pax. If they want to risk bending the rules, that's their look out.

Some things dont make common sense but are relevant from an insurance perspective.

Edited by Adayatatime

In Ontario, where this woman lives, there is an extreme doctor shortage. It can take *months* to get a doctor's appointment for a medical issue. I would be very surprised if any doctor's office would make an appointment for a non-medical issue such as a "fitness to travel" note for a cruise.

Cruises are supposed to be relaxing and fun. What would it cost RCI to have a list of walk-in clinics near the port? Wouldn't this story have played out much better if it was something like: the woman was surprised that they needed a note, but the RCI staffer reassured her that, while the note is a legal requirement, RCI would help her get it in time for departure. They called a nearby walk-in clinic and made an arrangement for the woman to be seen right away. The woman went for the appointment and walked out with the note. She boarded in plenty of time. How hard would that be?

In Ontario, where this woman lives, there is an extreme doctor shortage. It can take *months* to get a doctor's appointment for a medical issue. I would be very surprised if any doctor's office would make an appointment for a non-medical issue such as a "fitness to travel" note for a cruise.

Cruises are supposed to be relaxing and fun. What would it cost RCI to have a list of walk-in clinics near the port? Wouldn't this story have played out much better if it was something like: the woman was surprised that they needed a note, but the RCI staffer reassured her that, while the note is a legal requirement, RCI would help her get it in time for departure. They called a nearby walk-in clinic and made an arrangement for the woman to be seen right away. The woman went for the appointment and walked out with the note. She boarded in plenty of time. How hard would that be?

If somebody shows up for check in the morning, quite possibly they'd have time to see a doctor in a walk in clinicand get a note by 3:30 pm. Or maybe not if the clinic is too far any or too busy or if they spend time calling doctor at home. The cruiseline does not own the clinic and is not in a position to demand that the clinic see her right away:confused:, especially if others are already there waiting on a busy clinic day. So there might be trouble if they arrive early, so what if they show up at the terminal in the afternoon, say 2pm? They are not likely to identify the issue, discuss it, find the clinic, get seen, get note, and get back to terminal by 3:30 cut-

off time. And, if they do not get back with the note, would some passengers blame the cruiseline for sending them to a clinic that was too far or too busy or where the doctor (likely not an OB/gyn) did not feel comfortablewriting the fit to travel note? And if the cruiseline refers them to a clinic and something goes awry at the clinic or enroute, would some passengers (and their lawyers) try to blame the cruiseline? Maybe the passengers should read the policies and follow them....how hard is that?

Given the rules, taking a home pregnancy test right shortly boarding (without sufficient time to get a doctors note) is not particularly wise.

I don't know about Ontario, but in Manitoba, if you call your own doctor (and I'm assuming that having 2 children already, she had a doctor) and explain, they would have squeezed her in for a quick look and a note. Or she could have gone to a walk-in clinic before she left. Perhaps she is to blame in this situation. However, she was very early in the pregnancy and most likely did not show at all. She should have lied, but was taken aback when asked. What I would like to know is why was she asked? This really isn't an appropriate question to ask unless she was obviously pregnant. I guess she could have been having morning sickness and looking ghastly... I can understand RCL's policy, but they surely could have been more helpful.

I find this thread fascinating. RC already has said that the question never should have been asked, that they are sorry for what occurred, and they apparently have done enough to satisfy the person involved. I think RC has said it and done it right.

Those with too much time on their hands - that is, everyone reading this - can read Spector v. Norwegian Cruise Lines, 545 US 119 (2005) - general requirements of ADA apply to cruise ships in US ports. With that case result in mind, figure out whether an arbitration claim could be brought against RC (and/or other cruise lines) for public accommodation gender discrimination under Florida law or otherwise.

I think that RC is smart enough in risk management to know that with this particular event, the greater risk was getting anyone looking at the concept of discrimination on the basis of gender/pregnancy in boarding, as opposed to the lesser risk of letting a woman board who had just learned she might be 2 or 3 weeks pregnant.

I too live in Ontario and it takes a while to see a doctor. However, doctors do leave more than enough time to sign medical notes to which they get paid a fee from directly from the patient.

My wife has gotten two separate medical notes for her "fitness to travel" form for cruises. This was done for two different pregnancies. It took between 2-5 days for both of these visits get the form signed. These have occurred over the last 8 years during the doctor shortage.

On a side note the lady in the news story did have a family doctor. She didn't see her doctor prior to leaving Ontario.

Oy! I got pregnant during a cruise once, I guess I was lucky they didn't grab me by my ankles and wrists and chuck me overboard mid cruise. :eek:

I don't want to get too political about it, but everyday there are people walking onto ships who are ticking time bombs, many of them actually die on a cruise ship. I personally knew a guy who had end stage cancer and wanted to live the end of his life on a cruise, held up the whole disembarkation when he had to be evacuated by ambulance and died days later in FLL- despite boarding visibly ill, despite spending 1/2 the cruise in and out of the infirmary, he never had or needed a note. Another man I know cruised for years with his aorta expanding on a yearly basis till it was finally repaired, no one asked for a note, he was allowed to take that risk on for himself. If you polled the MDR on any given night, you'd find it all; cancer, heart disease, oxygen tanks, epilepsy, diabetes, mental illness, all could possibly go south at any given moment, but somehow if it happens in a woman's uterus, it's everybody's business and all sorts of rules are made- interesting.

Oy! I got pregnant during a cruise once, I guess I was lucky they didn't grab me by my ankles and wrists and chuck me overboard mid cruise. :eek:

Heh, heh. Our first born came about 38 weeks after our second Alaskan cruise. ;)

Heh, heh. Our first born came about 38 weeks after our second Alaskan cruise. ;)

These cruises can be very fertile times, it would be a fun thread to see how just how many "cruise babies" there are out there! ;) As it turned out I miscarried that one, so I don't have a cruise baby myself! But it was funny because I was trying on jewelry in a store in st Martin, when the salesmen touched my hand he asked "are you expecting a baby? ", and I was wearing a bikini under my cover up, so I was so offended "no, I am not!" I told him, wondering if he thought I looked pregnant! I got home a few days later and had to have a test for a medical procedure I was anticipating and they called to tell me it was positive (and it was good news to us, but sadly, didn't last!)

Edited by Familygoboston

These cruises can be very fertile times, it would be a fun thread to see how just how many "cruise babies" there are out there! ;) As it turned out I miscarried that one, so I don't have a cruise baby myself! But it was funny because I was trying on jewelry in a store in st Martin, when the salesmen touched my hand he asked "are you expecting a baby? ", and I was wearing a bikini under my cover up, so I was so offended "no, I am not!" I told him, wondering if he thought I looked pregnant! I got home a few days later and had to have a test for a medical procedure I was anticipating and they called to tell me it was positive (and it was good news to us, but sadly, didn't last!)

Our cabin was centre ship on the port side, it was a hump cabin.:D Our son loves to cruise, but has yet to be in Alaska. He has also done a Caribbean cruise, pre-delivery. We lost a daughter who was just over two years of age to an extremely rare genetic brain disorder she was born with. We visit her regularly as she is buried minutes from our house, but we know she is in a better place.

Your story is touching, a high and a low, it is one you will remember a lifetime. It makes you really wonder how the salesman had an in-cling. I have read your family cruise reviews so I am happy to see that you family has made great memories.

Andrew

Rcci need to comply with whatever is relevant to their insurance. Pax answer either truthfully or not. Then the onus is on the pax. If they want to risk bending the rules, that's their look out.

Some things dont make common sense but are relevant from an insurance perspective.

Simple but true.

I too live in Ontario and it takes a while to see a doctor. However, doctors do leave more than enough time to sign medical notes to which they get paid a fee from directly from the patient.

My wife has gotten two separate medical notes for her "fitness to travel" form for cruises. This was done for two different pregnancies. It took between 2-5 days for both of these visits get the form signed. These have occurred over the last 8 years during the doctor shortage.

On a side note the lady in the news story did have a family doctor. She didn't see her doctor prior to leaving Ontario.

Can't wait till we have your socialized medical care system in full operation here.:rolleyes:

Edited by cruzincurt

Can't wait till we have your socialized medical care system in full operation here.:rolleyes:

You should be so lucky!:D No matter what kind of system you have, there are always going to be glitches - ours is no different. But on the whole, it works well. I think if you polled most Canadians they'd agree.

This is just silly on RCCLs part....common sense must prevail in these situations...a doctor signing something that they are "fit to travel" in the first few weeks of pregnancy????....My wife didn't even see a doctor until about week 12 during her pregnancy....There is very little chance that a doctor will be able to even assess a "high risk pregnancy" that early....

Sometimes common sense must be used......companies can't follow a script for every situation that comes up......

When i got on board NO; but when I disembarked YES