Sabor changed to Indian on Navigator

I guess that's the writing on the wall for the end of the secret MDR dishes of Indian food.

Why? Assuming there is a 'secret menu' there is no logic here. What ties one to the other? If I can get pasta in the Windjammer does this mean no pasta in the MDR? Of course not.

Edited by Sascol

Why? Assuming there is a 'secret menu' there is no logic here. What ties one to the other? If I can get pasta in the Windjammer does this mean no pasta in the MDR? Of course not.

For years ordering Indian dishes has been a well known secret and has become more popular. I could certainly imagine an instance where someone expresses a desire for a custom made Indian dish for the next evening and being told sorry, no longer prepared in MDR but they have a specialty restaurant for that.

I don't really know. We'll see.

For years ordering Indian dishes has been a well known secret and has become more popular. I could certainly imagine an instance where someone expresses a desire for a custom made Indian dish for the next evening and being told sorry, no longer prepared in MDR but they have a specialty restaurant for that.

I don't really know. We'll see.

Oh, this would be awful. I've always enjoyed the "secret" Indian dishes in the MDR and they are always able to provide it to me. It's one of the few cuisines that I'll eat even when I have no idea of the ingredients. They always ask if I want meat or vegetarian, I always say to surprise me (figure whatever is easier for them since I don't want to make a fuss about it).

When I sailed Freedom with my mom, kids and my older son's 3 best friends, we talked with the waiter and he brought an assortment each night. The kids (they were just shy of 18) thought it was the greatest thing ever. I barely got to eat any of it that trip LOL!.

• 3 weeks later...

Just as a quick postscript - have just returned from our cruise on the Navigator today and we did go to Sabors and had a great Indian meal. Glen, who served us was knowledgeable and passionate about the food with lots of advice and suggestions. The menu is fairly limited, but what they do have on the menu, they do well. It is obvious that the curries are cooked from scratch with whole spices and not just from powders. The chicken tikka masala was great and my husband enjoyed his lamb rogon josh. Great food, great service. I hope that they might consider having Sabors as an Indian restaurant again next summer when the Navigator sails out of Southampton

Like the margaritas, chips & salsa, the guacamole, & the desserts @ Sabor and would miss it. I liked that Navigator had so many choices. Would love to see them keep those but make it a fusion restaurant, as long as it's in Miami would love to see authentic Cuban added to the menu. Never would happen, but their Mexican entrees just lack flavor. They could turn Izumi into a fusion restaurant as well and add the Indian there. We go out on her in January and Sabor is listed as Mexican. The food @ the Sabor on Navigator was better than the Sabor on Liberty & Harmony, will be interesting to see if it's changed in the last couple of years.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We've not yet seen a formal Indian menu in the MDR (hopefully in a few months on Jewel), but we've been able to get selected Indian entrees upon request in the MDR.

When we were on the Radiance Hawaii-to-Vancouver they had at least one Indian dish on the MDR menu, usually Vegan but certainly a variety of them. Hadn't seen that sort of variety on any Caribbean trips. I gave my little "I'm gonna go on a limb here and try this..." but they never had to bring out a "Plan B". After a few days of me ordering them our MDR wait staff started bringing me some non-menu stuff, it seemed to genuinely thrill them.

Now having said that, I'd have a heck of a time getting DW into an Indian Specialty Restaurant. Don't think there's any possible circumstance where they'd keep that place Indian once they're porting in the US again. We just don't do a Curry bowl like the English.

Edited by MichaelCMTX

I have requested a vegan Indian meal each night in the MDR and have never had an issue. They even have an appetizer for me as well. I always email the special needs department about a month before sailing. Then when we get onboard we go to the restaurant when they are open taking reservations and make sure that the request is on our account and it has always been there. We do MTD and try to sit in the same section each night to make it easier on the staff. Once they look it up the first night they know exactly what to do. I have never been disappointed. In fact, once the head waiter took such an interest he made sure to come over to our table at least one time each night to inquire about the meal. I could eat Indian food all the time.

Looks like this topic has split opinions :)

I sailed on Navigator last year and had a meal at Sabor while it was still serving Mexican. I really like Mexican but was disappointed with the quality on this particular ship. Meals on other ships like Oasis have been really great.

On the same sailing, we also attended a special Indian lunch organised in the same restaurant. It included a demo plus a 3 course meal. That in my opinion was excellent. if the Indian menu is based around this then I believe this is a really positive move.

I believe this change would only be popular for UK sailings. It's possible that it would change back if sailing from US.

So sad, would love to have some good Indian food on the Navigator this November when on the way to the ABC islands. :(
Could be good news for us lovers of Indian food as we might find it easier to get it in the MDR with all those chefs not having to produce it for Sabor.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

We have just got off Navigator and would have loved it to have still been a Mexican option. There was an Indian option every night in the MDR which were very popular with our party and although we like Indian there didn't seem to be a need for a speciality Indian restaurant.

Yeah, the quality of curries in the MDR ain't hitting on much. I would LOVE a good vindaloo or madras on a cruise so I wish we had an Indian (or even an Asian fusion) specialty restaurant. That's the only thing missing on RCL ships and usually the reason why I go to the local curry joint as soon as I get back to NC. ;)