Poll: Drink Package discounts for D/D+/PC

Merion_Mom

You are D/D+/PC. You will buy the ultimate pkg for the whole cruise if:  

225 members have voted

1. 1. You are D/D+/PC. You will buy the ultimate pkg for the whole cruise if:

• I will buy it if I get a 5% discount.
    • I will buy it if I get a 10% discount.
    • I will buy it if I get a 15% discount.
    • I wouldn't buy a package anyway, so this means nothing to me.
    • I wouldn't buy a package unless the discount went even higher.
    • I wouldn't buy a package unless I had the option of buying for less than the whole voyage.
    • Are you kidding me? Another poll?????
    • I am not D, D+ or PC, so I have no voting rights. But I will leave a comment.

I cannot express how valuable the D and D+ lounges have been for us in meeting new cruising buddies. We have booked several more cruises to meet up with them again. This would not happen if it were not for the lounge.

With that being said, I would probably buy the package if it were sold at a 50% discount and that would be the basic package. There should be one discount for D and and a higher discount as you rise in the ranks to D+ and Pinnacle. We do not drink that much so I don' know if it would ultimately be worth the money vs paying per drink.

Interesting that the survey shows that a large number want a higher discount than what you proposed.

Just don't do away with the lounges.....conversation in the lounge is PRICELESS!!!

Schooner Bar, pool, MDR, WJ, etc..

Why do some folks think the only place to start up a conversation is the loyalty lounges :confused:

I agree with you to a point. We've had great talks with people even at shared tables in the MDR with no booze. They can happen anywhere. But, there is something special about the Diamond Lounge. The people there expect you to share a table, they are typically regular or long time cruisers, and it's just a little easier to strike up cruise related conversations. It's a place where it's sort of expected.

I think that meeting and talking to new people from all over the world is one of the best things about cruising and we should all encourage table sharing whenever possible. There are occasions where a table for 2 is a nice change, but overall I love the nights when we meet people from all over.

Tom

Why do some folks think the only place to start up a conversation is the loyalty lounges :confused:

We always meet many people at the Trivia contest, always trying to get people to join us and have met people from around the world.

80% off would be like $11 per day for the premium package. Gee, I wonder if that will ever happen. A $20-25 discount I could see since they provide a lot of free drinks to us D and above already but 80% off is far beyond making any sense. I wonder what poeple would really do if this wasn't just a hypothetical question. I'm sure the acceptable % off for most is much lower than 75% off. For me $30 ($25 off which is probably less than I consume for free each night as it is now) for the premium package would be the sweet spot.

The 75%-80% off is not really something anyone has suggested. That was a bit of exaggeration by Cuizer2. Though a couple people did suggest it would take something like 50% off to entice them. :) But I'm not surprised that few people found a discount like 5 or 10% to be particularly attractive.

They are in denial. It is easier than admitting they are there for the free drinks. :D

Or...it's a perk they have earned and gosh darn it will sit in there if it takes holding that seat at 3:00!!!:p;)

FYI-I think the discount, if ever given, should be more the higher up the loyalty level you are. D one price D+ another and P-the highest.

I normally drink a simple Vodka and Tonic that only costs $6.50+tip because that's what I like. That's 7 drinks a day, for me that's a lot of alcohol. Take into account, I can get at least three free drinks as D+, I don't consider $55/day close to worth it. With three free and 7 required to just reach break even, 10 drinks a day (every day) means I practically have to have drink in my hand all day long. (Hic!)

I tried the premium package on the Explorer when I thought there would be no Diamond drinks. Turns out they were testing the drink vouchers on my cruise! It became almost impossible for me to drink $55/day. We get two bottles of water for our welcome gift, and those we refill in our cabin.

I would reconsider @ $25/day for a D+ to purchase the premium package.

There was a reviewer on a thread here, I think last month, who did B2B cruises on Jewel and Adventure and bought the drink package on one of them. During her review she talked about trying a bunch of drinks she may not have without the package. That sounds like a really fun idea to me. So far I've never been able to figure out how to justify the extra cost of the drink package, so DW and I decide that on our next cruise coming up we would just buy whatever we want without thinking about the price and see how it turns out. We're not going to drink more than we would have if we had the package, we're just going to pretend we have the package and go for it. That way we can have the same fun and see if we really would have benefited. It will take a lot of discipline to just purchase whatever we want whenever without caring about the price, but we think it's a worthwhile experiment and it just has to be done...

Tom

I normally drink a simple Vodka and Tonic that only costs $6.50+tip because that's what I like. That's 7 drinks a day, for me that's a lot of alcohol. Take into account, I can get at least three free drinks as D+, I don't consider $55/day close to worth it. With three free and 7 required to just reach break even, 10 drinks a day (every day) means I practically have to have drink in my hand all day long. (Hic!)

I tried the premium package on the Explorer when I thought there would be no Diamond drinks. Turns out they were testing the drink vouchers on my cruise! It became almost impossible for me to drink $55/day. We get two bottles of water for our welcome gift, and those we refill in our cabin.

I would reconsider @ $25/day for a D+ to purchase the premium package.

FYI-I think the discount, if ever given, should be more the higher up the loyalty level you are. D one price D+ another and P-the highest.

If that is the case shouldn't D+ and P get more free drinks loaded on their cards now. ;)

There was a reviewer on a thread here, I think last month, who did B2B cruises on Jewel and Adventure and bought the drink package on one of them. During her review she talked about trying a bunch of drinks she may not have without the package. That sounds like a really fun idea to me. So far I've never been able to figure out how to justify the extra cost of the drink package, so DW and I decide that on our next cruise coming up we would just buy whatever we want without thinking about the price and see how it turns out. We're not going to drink more than we would have if we had the package, we're just going to pretend we have the package and go for it. That way we can have the same fun and see if we really would have benefited. It will take a lot of discipline to just purchase whatever we want whenever without caring about the price, but we think it's a worthwhile experiment and it just has to be done...

Tom

I tried just about every drink on the menu on our 8 day cruise. Almost all of them were over-rated IMHO because they contained so called premium spirits. Grey Goose, Kettle one, Patron, etc... When you mix in all the other stuff, I can't taste the difference, so why should I pay for it.

Free or not I have a problem paying $12 for a drink. I also don't drink wine because it gives me a headache.

Is it worthwhile to have some fun and try everything. Absolutely!

It seems to work for a lot of people. I'm not trying to discourage anyone from trying a package. Just doesn't work for me. :cool:

Enjoy your future cruises.

Tom

I tried just about every drink on the menu on our 8 day cruise. Almost all of them were over-rated IMHO because they contained so called premium spirits. Grey Goose, Kettle one, Patron, etc... When you mix in all the other stuff, I can't taste the difference, so why should I pay for it?

Free or not I have a problem paying $12 for a drink. I also don't drink wine because it gives me a headache.

Is it worthwhile to have some fun and try everything. Absolutely!

It seems to work for a lot of people. I'm not trying to discourage anyone from trying a package. Just doesn't work for me. :cool:

Enjoy your future cruises.

Debde - as the saying goes, "If the show fits".........

Don't judge me unless you have met me. In addition, I don't get there at 3 P.M. Pre-dinner is just fine for us.

As a poster mentioned, those who frequent the lounge have many cruise experiences behind them and we enjoy speaking with them. Most of the time the lounge is quiet enough to have a conversation. I can't say the same for other venues on some ships.

Next.......

Since I have not posted in a while. I figured I would like to chime in.

Being a D+ when they first came out with the package I was skeptical.

Using the CL and Generous tips to the right Bartenders across the ships worked out usually pretty well.

on average usually spent 200-400 dollars (cash tips) Drink worth recieved Higher hundreds - thousand. (depending on cruise length)

That said the ease of the good poor and "extra shot/drink" became more difficult without getting the amazing Bar staff in trouble.

So several cruises ago on the Oasis. I gave in and tried the package.

I was recently single and since I was traveling with family and a large group. I thought it would come in handy. ( I think it did )

If for no other reason, Piece of mind. Knowing, I did not have to worry about how many drinks I have had and how much it would cost.

- but then there is the fact that I had only "free drinks" during CL time. which is not bad for most. but thankfully I am still relatively young and the only time I can really " let my hair down" is on vacation when i dont have to worry about who the DD is.

- allows me to try more interesting Drinks which I wouldnt have ventured to try without the consequence of wasting a drink/ and money

-I Love specialty coffee, and Fresh OJ atleast once a day (on vacation)

Would I get the package if it was full price (yes) I just did for my cruise on allure in 16 days.

But would I not even think twice if we got a Discount. Amen too that.

Thank you in advance for reading my poorly grammatically incoherent nonsense that i am writting during my time on Night medicine

Offering a discount to those currently getting free liquor might increase pkg sales, but having a sliding scale based on loyalty would be counter productive to the beverage dept. That additional cost would need to come from C&A or marketing. And would that do anything to relieve crowding in the lounges. They probably need to start booting everyone except suite guests from the CL or just rename it suite lounge like Oasis

Many of us think that is exactly what they are about to do.

...on average usually spent 200-400 dollars (cash tips) Drink worth recieved Higher hundreds - thousand. (depending on cruise length)

That said the ease of the good poor and "extra shot/drink" became more difficult without getting the amazing Bar staff in trouble.

You sound like someone who should get a drink package.

My friends were just on RC, got the package and loved it. However, these are people who, even at home on the weekends, will start drinking beers at the beach/brunch/whatever at 10am, or who order 5 cocktails when out to dinner and think nothing of it. They just drink a lot of alcohol.

The average person (I am guessing) doesn't drink that much, even while on vacation. And if you look at higher loyalty members, who tend to be older, and already get free alcohol, the package becomes even less worthwhile.

Right now I get so much free drinkage that even if I wanted to try out some new things and then throw them out, it is still better for me to pay cash than pay for a package.

I only drink on vacation. Not something I do on the weekends (wish I knew what weekends were. Lol) I understand what your saying. At the same time I just don't like having to wait till 5 pm to consume my beverages. And on the vision. They only had a small selection. If it wasn't for the package my gf wouldn't have drank during that time then I wouldn't have either

By the way if you pay as you go and want to try something new and different and don't like it the staff will take it back and get you something different. Learned that early when my wife clearly didn't like a drink, the server noticed, and practically demanded we let him get her something she like better. She occasionally returns a drink (perhaps once a cruise if that) and they are more than happy to give her something different. You can try stuff "risk free" with out a package. Just an FYI.

what I would like to see, once you reach 1000 nights on the water (or points) you will receive a free premium drink package each time you cruise on a RCCL ship. you know how hard it is to reach this level so the free drink packages would be few and far in between... but it would show Royal Caribbean's most loyal cruises that they are greatly appreciated. :)