Securing valuables on the beach

c4blunjit

For decades at So Cal beaches I would just roll it up in a T shirt and put it under my towel. I do the same on cruise beaches and keep a close eye on it from the water, but if someone makes a quick dash for it, I would lose as I am now slow and fat. So I would just carry the minimum needed.

Up until now, we've always just tried to stay within sight of our bag and took the chance that nothing would happen to it. So far, we've been lucky. But, I just bought a KYSS bag ( the large one) to help keep everything safe.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

My DH rarely gets off at ports, so I am alone at the beaches. I try to find a couple form the cruise ship, I identify them by the towel, or such things as the Princess towel. I sit near enough to talk, without sitting on top of them. I start a conversation, then eventually offer to trade watching their items. They can go in the water together to swim or snorkel, and then I take a short turn. It has always worked out for me,

We put our cash (only take what we think we'll need) and credit card in a waterproof pouch we purchased from Amazon.

For our last cruise we took a short bicycle lock cable. We placed our kindles and camera in our backpack, put it under our loungers and locked it to the loungers.

We know that this will not stop someone that really wants something but it's going to keep someone from just picking up the backpack and walking away.

We put our cash (only take what we think we'll need) and credit card in a waterproof pouch we purchased from Amazon.

For our last cruise we took a short bicycle lock cable. We placed our kindles and camera in our backpack, put it under our loungers and locked it to the loungers.

We know that this will not stop someone that really wants something but it's going to keep someone from just picking up the backpack and walking away.

Couldn't thieves just unzip the backpack and steal the electronics, while leaving the backpack?

Couldn't thieves just unzip the backpack and steal the electronics, while leaving the backpack?

The way we have it threaded and attached to the loungers, getting to the backpack and unzipping it would not be easy. It may not be impossible, but difficult and would take a little time. It's never out of our field of view and most thieves are looking for quick and easy.

Like packedandready I have purchased a waterproof pouch to clip around my waist and wear in my suit bottom and cover the slight bulge of the pouch by my tankini top. As new solo cruiser I researched what to do with my money too while I'm snorkeling. I saw this idea on a thread on some forum and decided to give it a whirl. I think the pouch was $10 or so on Amazon.

First if you are going to the beach bring as little valuable as possible.

And if you plan to go in the water and no one will keep their eyes on your items then you need to carry them with you. You can easily get a waterproof container that you can keep with you while in the water.

Do not leave valuables unattended. I don't care if you can see them from the water. If someone wants to take them they will and it happens.

Here are some examples.

http://www.amazon.com/DRY-DP-44-Alligator-Waterproof-Wallet/dp/B000BJ7WHE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1418375111&sr=8-1&keywords=water+proof+wallet

http://www.amazon.com/DP-46-Cell-Phone-Waterproof-Case/dp/B000FE9CAK/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1418375131&sr=8-4&keywords=water+proof+wallet

Keith

PacSafe makes a bag that can be attached to a beach chair that has a cable that cannot be cut, and the bag itself has a metal mesh in the fabric portion of the bag itself so it cannot be slashed open. The bag is big enough to hold a tablet and other items.

I too bought a Kyss bag. A thief would have to cut into the bag to steal anything and they are certainly not going to just walk off with the bag. Its all about not being an easy target. Make it more difficult and hopefully they will go elsewhere.

1)Buy clear sealable bags that are big enough to put your stuff in.

2) When at beach put stuff in and seal tightly

3) Bury bag approx a foot deep in sand and place stone marker on and then your towel so you know where it it

4) swim and then return

This works as if you see anyone poking around they have to dig so you have time to run at them.

I have also put my keys on the neck tie of my bikini to keep them on me.

Edited by Velvetwater

Has anyone tested the waterproof bags? I bought a SGM?? waterproof bag and it has 3 zips on it (like zip closure baggies). It hasn't been tested by me. It goes around your waist. I just received it last week from Amazon.

If the one you bought is blue for about $10 its the same one I bought. It had good reviews and holds more than a cell phone. I know I'll feel better with my money key etc on me in my waterproof pouch around my waist. I wouldn't be able to relax if my money is on shore in a different thief proof bag when I snorkeling. I'd still worry.

We wear Aqua Boxes that hold a bit of cash, photocopy of passport, and our room cards. IMO, no need to take anything else ashore. Even though I shun fanny packs as a rule, when I wear my Aqua Box I pretend I'm Ursula Andress coming out of the surf in "Dr. No".

I just checked my order with Amazon and i bought the SMG waterproof bag that peymas bought. I tested mine by submerging in the bathtub for a while and had no leaks.

Test by putting a paper towel in it, per instructions that came with mine. I leave a paper towel in mine so I can quickly see if there is a leak or I didn't seal it but I've never had a leak and I have been using it for 5 years cruising and boating (floating).

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Tablet using Tapatalk

Test by putting a paper towel in it, per instructions that came with mine. I leave a paper towel in mine so I can quickly see if there is a leak or I didn't seal it but I've never had a leak and I have been using it for 5 years cruising and boating (

I didn't test with a paper towel. Great idea!!

• 3 weeks later...

DW and I have been big beach, swimming, snorkel and SCUBA people for many years. We spend many months a year at the beach and also do a lot of beaches during port days all over the world. So our advice is very simple, and we think quite wise. Anything you leave on a beach is at risk! Period. End of story. Forget the idea that you can be in the water and watch your stuff as a thief could easily grab everything and be long gone before you had a clue or could react. Forget asking a nearby stranger to guard yourself as maybe they do, maybe the do not...but its your stuff.

So our advice is quite simple. If you are going to take anything of value or importance to the beach, make sure you have a way to take it with you into the water. Accordingly, we do not take anything we cannot take in the water. We use a "Splash Caddy" which is a nylon fanny pack containing a triple seal plastic bag (good for dives to at least 100 foot of depth). Our money and credit cards go into the Splash Caddy. Other valuables such as cameras are not things we routinely take to the beach. Here is a link to the device

http://www.amazon.com/Loksak-Splashsak-Dipper-Splash-Caddy/dp/B003E2S0T4

There are other decent waterproof devices on the market.

Hank

Our DD bought a portable travel safe for her DF for Christmas. I'm not sure of the brand but it's large enough to hold a phone and small wallet and has a wire that wraps around the outside of it for storage that you use to attach the safe to a beach chair ect.. DH almost always carries his camera with him so we will still need to keep an eye on things which is what we normally have done without incident for many, many years.