Camera?

psych_jae

We leave for our S. Carribean cruise on Sunday and have begun packing, but had a question about cameras.

Should I bring a digital SLR camera or a pocket compact camera? I would love to get some nice pictures of our vacation, but am worried about how safe it will be to travel at each port with it?

Any advice would be welcome!!

Thanks in advance!

While I use to take my slr with me on our cruises, I have managed to find an awesome little point and shoot camera that does WONDERFUL pictures. The last 2 cruises I have not even taken my slr.

However, when I did, I did not bring it to shore with me. Not only is it heavy to lug around but I was afraid of the possibilities that could happen...being robbed or some how broken on an excursion.

I think it all depends on what you like to do when in port. Do you normally just go on an excursion to site see? Or do you like to go to the beaches were you couldn't have your camera with you all the time because of swimming? That would make all the difference in the world to me.

We leave for our S. Carribean cruise on Sunday and have begun packing, but had a question about cameras.

Should I bring a digital SLR camera or a pocket compact camera? I would love to get some nice pictures of our vacation, but am worried about how safe it will be to travel at each port with it?

Thanks in advance!

We now carry 2 DSLR's - I won't go without mine. When I upgraded to a Nikon D7000 last year my husband started using my D60, and now only uses a point and shoot for underwater photography. I've got point and shoot, don't like it, don't really use it. I have never had any problem traveling with my DSLR's.

The Southern Caribbean ports are beautiful, and I think you'll really regret it if you don't bring your DSLR!

I never take a vacation with my Olympus Stylus camera (underwater). We have never had any problems taking our cameras with us on cruises.

Just as a side note....my mother-in-law just returned from her cruise 2 weeks ago and she had a pocket camera (thinking it was a disposable one) and the pictures turned out horrible. She now wishes she took her regular camera.

I go on my first cruise on Friday and no way am I going without my DSLR. Although it's my first cruise I don't see any difference between taking it on a port excusion and taking it away to do a city break somewhere. We have a camcorder too and I'll be using my iPhone to take some pics as I plan to update my blog daily if I can

I travel with my DSLR and a digital underwater camera. The only time I don't bring my DSLR off the ship with me is when I know there will be no place to keep it dry (a kayak trip with no locker storage for example).

My underwater digital is good, but my DSLR is GREAT. :D

At the end of the day you have to feel comfortable with the risk, but I've never felt unsafe because I had a "fancy" camera with me. So many people have them now that it is a common sight on the cruises I've been on.

Thanks in advance!

While I have taken my DSLR to a few ports, I only take it if I am on an excursion that will provide photographic opportunities.

I will take two to there cameras with me on a cruise. A DSLR to use on the ship. A pocket point and shoot camera to take off the ship and a waterproof camera if I'll be going in the water.

The reason for the travel camera is not a theft issue, but rather a size issue. I don't really like carrying around my DSLR. It is too big and heavy. The travel camera fits in my pocket.

When I travel I bring along my DSLR and my powershot D10. Was in Scotland last summer when it decided to start raining and my Cannon D50 died on me. Luckily I brought something water proof to put it in. The D10 is waterproof so was able to get a few shots.

Taking any of my cameras out on excursions I normally have no problems. I size up the area and people. Being on excursions there is always the safety of numbers. Just walking around in any of the different ports I just hang out where there are a lot of people and make sure of my surroundings. Anyone going into my personal space gets special attention. :-)

It really comes down to personal preference. I use a plain ordinary Canon camera. I am happy with the pictures I take. They will not win any awards, but I am not looking to.

So will you be happy with the pictures from the lesser camera?

Yup, personal preference -- I wouldn't go without my DSLR and I don't overly worry about security either. I have an over-the-chest style camera bag (messenger style) to carry it comfortably, conveniently, and relatively safely. Photography is important to me, so I prioritize my camera; YMMV. If anything, I think I'm going to stop carrying my point-and-shoot - I figure I might as well just use my iPhone for that ;)

Thanks in advance!

I travel w 3 cameras (4 if you count my cell phone) - a Nikon D300S, a Canon G12, and a pocketable camera. Which one I carry depends upon what I am likely to take pictures of, not the chances that it will be stolen. Cameras can be replaced; photo opportunities cannot.

A camera is just an object. If it was stolen, I would get some money back on my insurance and just go out and buy a new one or put another way, it is God telling me that it is time for a new camera. Such is life.

Many many years ago when I was a student, I took the summer off and toured Europe. I must have taken 30 or 40 rolls of film w me. Unfortunately, my camera died while I was in Venice so I just went to a camera shop and bought a new one with some of my travelers checks. Needless to say, I ran out of money in spite of reducing my expenses before I ran out of summer but I dealt with the problem.

DON

If photography is a big part of your vacation, I'd say bring it. It is very YMMV, sometimes I only have my smartphone, sometimes my cheap P&S, sometimes my mirrorless, and sometimes just my DSLR and a few lenses, and then sometimes all of them :eek:

My choice has less with where I go, but more the activiites and how and if I want to capture photos. The reality is that today's smartphone and mirrorless really are good enough for 98% of all photo opportunities.

Thanks in advance!

The reality is that today's smartphone and mirrorless really are good enough for 98% of all photo opportunities.

I totally disagree. A smartphone camera may (although I am not totally convinced of even this) be good enough if you are satisfied with taking inexpensive P&S snapshots. If you want to take photographs that you can be proud of and are willing to show to other people, there is no way that a smartphone camera can cut it.

If the smartphone cameras were that good, don't you think that the pros would be saving a lot of money and shooting with their smartphone.

Put another way, what would you think if your daughter was getting married and the pro showed up with his iphone to take the wedding pictures?

DON

A smartphone camera may (although I am not totally convinced of even this) be good enough if you are satisfied with taking inexpensive P&S snapshots.

I think that's very true - at least some of the smartphones (I know it's true of the newer iPhones) can take excellent point-and-shoot pictures, but that's all they are - no flexibility in zoom, focus, shutter speeds, or aperture, etc. If that's all you want out of a camera, that's fine, but chance are if you own a DSLR. you want to do more than just point and shoot.

I think that's very true - at least some of the smartphones (I know it's true of the newer iPhones) can take excellent point-and-shoot pictures, but that's all they are - no flexibility in zoom, focus, shutter speeds, or aperture, etc. If that's all you want out of a camera, that's fine, but chance are if you own a DSLR. you want to do more than just point and shoot.

Yes they can take basic photos if you are close by.

They are not so good beyond that.

The original poster has two cameras. To me it's a no brainer to make use of those.

Keith

After a number of cruises, I have settled on two DSLRs (Olympus E500 with telephoto lens and E5 with normal zoom lens) just in case one dies, especially for excursions. I always carry a pocket camera (Canon S100) on board just in case an interesting shot becomes available. A recent addition is an HD video camcorder to do justice to moving objects such as waterfalls, whales, and watercraft.

When shooting with a telephoto, I use a monopod. It will minimize camera shake and give you a much better image.

I tend not to travel in packs with fellow cruisers and avoid the seedy areas of each port if I have a large DSLR hanging from my shoulder.

Take both cameras.

I'm a great believer in the idea that cameras are meant to be used. What good is that sweet DSLR going to do for you if it's locked up in a safe or sitting at home thousands of miles away?

If safety is a concern, exercise normal precautions the way you'd do anywhere else. If you're worried about lugging equipment around, select the appropriate camera for each situation/venue/event. Yeah, the iPhone 4S has a nice little 8 megapixel camera, but that's just for the most basic shots.

Take both cameras and get the great photos you want--just my opinion.

Thanks everyone for your replies. I will be taking both cameras with me so I can capture as many memories as possible. Athere were some really good points made about a the camera debasing replacable, which I had overlooked.

Thanks again!

I totally disagree. A smartphone camera may (although I am not totally convinced of even this) be good enough if you are satisfied with taking inexpensive P&S snapshots. If you want to take photographs that you can be proud of and are willing to show to other people, there is no way that a smartphone camera can cut it.

If the smartphone cameras were that good, don't you think that the pros would be saving a lot of money and shooting with their smartphone.

Put another way, what would you think if your daughter was getting married and the pro showed up with his iphone to take the wedding pictures?

DON

I carry a DSLR (and leave my iPhone in my cabin safe), but the interesting thing here is that some very well known professional photographers are actually using iPhones at actual tools (although not exclusively), and you can buy all kinds of photographic accessories for them.

I own both a P&S and a DSLR. I take 'em both. The P&S is great for fun party shots on formal night or in the disco, but if you want good vacation shots, take the big camera. The little guys' optics just don't measure up, IMO.

I carry a DSLR (and leave my iPhone in my cabin safe), but the interesting thing here is that some very well known professional photographers are actually using iPhones at actual tools (although not exclusively), and you can buy all kinds of photographic accessories for them.

Maybe someone will make a DSLR that includes a phone.

Bottom line - no point in having good cameras if you don't take them to capture your memories especially in some of the most scenic places you'll see! I always have my DSLR and a pocket camera, extra charged batteries for both and extra memory out the wazzoo. And a computer to download nightly. I treasure my photos, and DH has grown to as well, especially since I got him a digital photo frame.

Archived