Why does everyone hate Nassau?

Jenhem31

I'm a new cruiser, will be going on my second cruise on the Allure in November. Our first stop is Nassau. I've read over and over on these boards about how much people hate Nassau. Why???

If it's a crappy spot, why do so many ships stop there? Convenience? Kickbacks? Fill me in!

I'm a new cruiser, will be going on my second cruise on the Allure in November. Our first stop is Nassau. I've read over and over on these boards about how much people hate Nassau. Why???

If it's a crappy spot, why do so many ships stop there? Convenience? Kickbacks? Fill me in!

I have no idea- the beach, especially on paradise island is great- the shopping is also very good. If you do not like the beach, tours and other activities are available. The only island we dislike is Jamaica. We do not feel safe and had a bad experience in Montego bay with people trying to harrass us and sell drugs on the beach. If a ship we are on goes to Jamaica, we stay on board.

I have been only a couple of times, the first time was pre-Atlantis (!) The port area and environs I find a bit chaotic with too many vendors and tacky souvenir shops. But once you get past that, it can be quite nice. On our last visit we climbed up to the fort and got great views, visited the museum of the Bahamian historical society, the library (the former jail) and found a nice beach not too far from the main drag. Like most ports, if you take the initiative, you can make of it what you want.

• Thanks 1

I have no idea- the beach, especially on paradise island is great- the shopping is also very good. If you do not like the beach, tours and other activities are available. The only island we dislike is Jamaica. We do not feel safe and had a bad experience in Montego bay with people trying to harrass us and sell drugs on the beach. If a ship we are on goes to Jamaica, we stay on board.

Could not agree with you more about Jamaica!

THANK YOU for asking this! My thoughts exactly! It doesn't look all that bad. We are second time cruisers too. We will be going to Nassau in January on our first stop too!

I think, in many cases, that those of us who have cruised often are just tired of it. I've been a few times, and it's just fine, but really have no desire to repeat it, if I can help it. I feel the same way about several ports in the Caribbean. Nothing against them, but some are included on nearly every cruise.

But then, we're not beach people and are trying to see as many different ports as we can.

Edited by srlafleur

I have been to Nassau once. I didn't like the snorkeling excursion my husband and I went on. It was crowded and boring. Not much to see. When we were done, we had a couple of hours left in port and wanted to shop a little on the way back to the ship. All of the stores were closed.

I would go back and try something new and shop earlier though.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Forums mobile app

We were there in 2006 and went to an all inclusive hotel for the day. It was a ship's excursion for about $45pp for the day. The hotel lobby and restaurant looked a little old, but the pool and beach were nice. The kids had fun and we spent a nice lazy day lounging.

~Robin

Every Day at Sea is a Great Day

THANK YOU for asking this! My thoughts exactly! It doesn't look all that bad. We are second time cruisers too. We will be going to Nassau in January on our first stop too!

Since you're from Mobile, AL .... strongly suggest you look for something to do other than beaches and water sports on your January cruise. ;)

LuLu

I used to feel that way about Nassau, and frankly, the first impression you get in the cruise terminal is not that great in helping the port's reputation. It can be chaotic and it needs an upgrade. Plus, the taxi/shuttle people get a little too pushy.

But there are some fun/nice things to do there. The Atlantis water park is amazing and there are some very nice beach resorts for day visits, as well as the dolphin encounters, etc. Is it the most exciting island stop? No. But there's good stuff to do and the people are generally quite friendly.

In the immediate cruise port area it can be very smelly and the straw market is claustrophobic and the vendors can be pushy. If you go right and walk down towards the first beaches there is glass in the sand and random sketchy looking guys around. The British Colonial Hilton pool and beach, which a lot of people seem to recommend, is not great IMHO and the water leads right to where the ships and boats come in and out- so not exactly the crystal blue waters of the Bahamas. More like a ship parking lot with some useable water beachside.

The beaches that are beautiful are simply gorgeous. But- most have people walking up and down saying things like "braid your hair, pretty lady?" and some of those vendors take a bit of saying no to. In fact, if you e always wanted to be called a pretty lady, there is no better place than Nassau...:rolleyes:

There are frequently 3-5 ships in port at one time. Check the port calendar for your sailing at cruise timetables dot com. It can get extremely crowded at Nassau.

Also, for people like me, who last thought of wearing a Swatch in the 80's, most of the stores are of no interest.

but think it's because we have been there so many times, but I do try to find something different to do every single time, as of late - we are going back there during Thanksgivingtime this year and plan to go to the zoo and possibly GrayCliff and the rum distillery, something we have never done yet.

We try to get away from the port as quickly as possible.

I do LOVE the turquoise water in the Bahamas, it's so beautiful as the ship turns the corner and you can see Atlantis on the horizon, nice shot...

Nina from Baltimore

We have had good experiences in Nassau- away from the pier.

Have been to: Atlantis, Ardastra Gardens & Zoo, British Colonial Hilton,

The Melia on Cable Beach (formerly the Sheraton, and just recently The Blue Lagoon for the Dolphin Encounter.

We always have an excursion planned-we don't wander around the port.

My family (includes 3 teens) walked to Junkanoo Beach. I needed the exercise, and it is a cheap option. There are signs that lead you to the beach, and you walk through downtown, past Senor Frogs, past the straw market and just past the Hilton. There were security guards present, which made us always feel safe. They just walk around. Yes, there are ladies trying to braid hair, but I just said, no thank you. My son was in heaven because he got Wifi. We stayed for a couple of hours and walked back to the ship for lunch. It is just an easy option.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't think people hate it. I just think that cruise ships visit so much that you go there on cruises, because they want to go to the other ports, and this is just another visit to Nassau. We have been to Nassau 12 times. DW stopped going to shore, but I started looking for things we have never done, like the rum distillery, and now she gets off the ship and discovers the island with me. Being an experience cruiser, we have learned not to follow the pack as long as it is safe and we can return back to the ship an hour before sailing.

Sorry to post this twice but tapatalk won't let me start a new thread: Hi all, I'm in Nassau as we speak on almost zero battery. Coming back next week (B2B). Does anyone know of a good fishing boat/tour/operator/etc? DH wants to fish for an hour or few. Hoping to book online. Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 4 weeks later...

We have explored Nassau on our own & done all inclusive & both were fine. Our issues are the uber pushy vendors and the chaos at the port & just the overall feeling of not being safe (in our opinion). We could get past most of this. However, a couple visits back, we took the #10 bus (talked about here, all over the place) & were mugged by punk kids while we were stopped. That was not our first time taking that bus but it was our last. That of course could happen anywhere, but it happened to us in Nassau.

We have explored Nassau on our own & done all inclusive & both were fine. Our issues are the uber pushy vendors and the chaos at the port & just the overall feeling of not being safe (in our opinion). We could get past most of this. However, a couple visits back, we took the #10 bus (talked about here, all over the place) & were mugged by punk kids while we were stopped. That was not our first time taking that bus but it was our last. That of course could happen anywhere, but it happened to us in Nassau.

Have been to Nassau at least six times, never had a problem at shops or beaches with vendors. However, Jamaica and Cancun are ports that we now stay on the ship because of very negative and scary experiences.