? walk from Renassaince/Holiday inn express FLL to Port everglades

jamin jul

As has been mentioned here many times, Port Everglades is not very walker friendly, and covers a large area. If you are at Terminal 2, the one closest to 17th St Causeway, maybe. But otherwise you are talking long walks in usually pretty warm weather, dragging luggage. Not something to look forward to.

Thanks SetSail for info.- I have been reviewing old threads.

Do you walk daily on the shoulder of a busy highway with lots of tractor-trailer traffic dragging luggage?

My answer to this coment is - No- of course not. But I do walk , daily,pulling my 80# golden retriever and do walk with a weighted vest! Yes- I am an avid walker and pulling a 30# piece of luggage one mile is not a big deal to me. My main question- is there a side walk? Anyone have problems with security lately. We saw people walking 2 years ago with their luggage. Things change in 2 years!! And concerning tractor trailers- I am more afraid of sports cars going very fast!!

So- my question is- are their side walks thru the port area? I can not remember this from 2 years ago.

What you should be more afraid of is drivers who have immigrated from the Caribbean Islands to South Florida who don't believe in yielding to pedestrians.

I just don't understand why people get romantic notions about the port that it's some sort of seaside park with a boardwalk. It's not, it's a commercial cargo port with lots of cargo ships, tankers, oil tanks, cranes, shipping containers, tractor trailers and the most dangerous of all, crazy Caribbean cab drivers.

I run the 17th Street Bridge at least a couple of times a week when I'm in town and I'd never try and walk to the port.

It isn't smart.

To the OP, you SHOULD be afraid of those tractor trailers. It isn't just a couple but this is a heavily traveled industrial park.

Good for you that you like to walk but you've got a bunch of locals telling you not to do this and you still insist on doing it?

I don't get that.

When we stayed at he HIE on 17th our cab ride cost us about $10.

After spending $$$$$ on a cruise that's a bargain.....don't you think?

I wonder what kind of health insurance deductibles the OP has? Going to the hospital and missing your cruise to save $10 isn't very thrifty.

I run the 17th Street Bridge at least a couple of times a week when I'm in town and I'd never try and walk to the port.

It isn't smart.

To the OP, you SHOULD be afraid of those tractor trailers. It isn't just a couple but this is a heavily traveled industrial park.

Good for you that you like to walk but you've got a bunch of locals telling you not to do this and you still insist on doing it?

I don't get that.

My USAA auto insurance premiums more than tripled when I moved from Missouri to South Florida where we have the worst and most accident prone drivers in the US.

My USAA auto insurance premiums more than tripled when I moved from Missouri to South Florida where we have the worst and most accident prone drivers in the US.

Don't forget all the illegal aliens who come from some small island with no traffic who drive around uninsured.

Thanks for the postive advice and negative comments!! I never said I was definately walking. I posted the post to see if anyone had walked and their advice. It is not a Romance thing to walk either and I have plenty of money to pay for a taxi!!! If I can walk some where- I do. If I cant or if it is dangerous- I wont. I thought cruise critic boards were for advice and not being negative to the poster.

I was told years ago not to walk from Havensight to town-CA ( St.thomas) because it was dangerous. I have walked it many times and it is not dangerous and is a wonderful walk!!

Thanks for the postive advice and negative comments!! I never said I was definately walking. I posted the post to see if anyone had walked and their advice. It is not a Romance thing to walk either and I have plenty of money to pay for a taxi!!! If I can walk some where- I do. If I cant or if it is dangerous- I wont. I thought cruise critic boards were for advice and not being negative to the poster.

I was told years ago not to walk from Havensight to town-CA ( St.thomas) because it was dangerous. I have walked it many times and it is not dangerous and is a wonderful walk!!

Many come here under the guise of requesting advice but are in reality they're seeking validation. When they don't receive it they usually get angry.

Many come here under the guise of requesting advice but are in reality they're seeking validation. When they don't receive it they usually get angry.

Absolutely.

My favorites are the people who want someone to say that the $59 Roach Motel over Prsident's Week is truly a good deal and not a criminal infested dump and that the parking lot in Overtown or Liberty City for $5 per day is a good deal and a safe experience so they can buy an extra drink of the day.

A lot of these people don't get what a truly dangerous area South Florida can be and that the heinous crimes are so common, they don't make the national news.

I've walked from Havensight to CA, I too enjoy walking but I wouldn't walk from 17th street into the port area. There are just way too many tanker trucks and buses to worry about, plus if I remember correctly there are places in the port where the sidewalk ends.

To the OP- if you are set on walking it and your ship is at piers 2 or 4, you'll have sidewalks the entire way. We've walked it many times. If your ship is at one of the southern piers, there are not sidewalks the entire way and the ones that are there will have you crossing Eisenhower a couple of times and not at an intersection. We have walked all over the Port Everglades area and, after walking from one of the southern piers one time, haven't done it again. We'll walk to Ross Dress for Less or the Calling Station (both on 17th) and take a crew shuttle from there, or take a $10 (minimum at the airport and Port Everglades) taxi simply due to traffic and maintaining our personal safety.

Archived