A kinder, gentler Holland America Cruise Line forum

soccerpapi

I just noticed you posted the same threadgentlern the Disney Forum. They aren't kind and gentle there?

Did you put it on other boards?

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2090482

The Disney Cruise Line forum has really benefited from the new kinder, genter pledge.

We are hoping it works just as well on the kinder, gentler Holland America Cruise Line forum.

Please join us and take the pledge to make the Holland America Cruise Line forum a kinder, gentler place.

soccer

The problem we see too often on the HAL board (and less frequently elsewhere) are when posters attack other posters for what they have said, rather then dealing with the facts of the post. If a poster complains about lousy food, it is fine to say that you disagree (based on your own real experience) but it is not fine to take a shot at the poster. We might post 20 posts that are positive about HAL. But if we then post one negative post we will be accused of "always posting bad things about HAL" or "hating HAL" or getting a post like, "well, if you don't like HAL why do you cruise on the line" etc etc.

One can disagree with a post without being nasty to the poster :)

Hank

I'd really love to hear about those 20 things you like about HAL. Could you please post them?

I'd really love to hear about those 20 things you like about HAL. Could you please post them?

For starters, the crew, the passengers, breakfast in the Lido, and the itinerary multiplied by 20 times :). Have also had some very good Piano Bar entertainers on HAL although that is really hit or miss. Would put a big emphasis on the passengers since we have met some fascinating folks on HAL...especially on the really long cruises. Guess we would also include the Prinsendam in things we like. We also think HAL has some of the best breakfast room service we have experienced on any cruise line. Is HAL tops on our list of mass market lines? Not even close. But there is much to like.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

For starters, the crew, the passengers, breakfast in the Lido, and the itinerary multiplied by 20 times :). Have also had some very good Piano Bar entertainers on HAL although that is really hit or miss. Would put a big emphasis on the passengers since we have met some fascinating folks on HAL...especially on the really long cruises. Guess we would also include the Prinsendam in things we like. We also think HAL has some of the best breakfast room service we have experienced on any cruise line. Is HAL tops on our list of mass market lines? Not even close. But there is much to like.

Hank

Thank you for doing that. I am honest when I say I don't recall you stating any of these things before. It seems that others get that same feeling which would explain the reaction that you feel you get.

Actually, I get the feeling that hlitner tells it like it is, and sometimes that results in pointing out something negative rather than something positive about HAL. I'd rather have that than someone who is all sunshine and cotton candy.

While I'm not in favor of making pledges on a message board (the board managers have already set up rules we have, in theory, agreed to abide by), I will agree that the constant move by some posters to question each and every detail posted by other posters gets tiresome.

What is the penalty for breaking the pledge?

You will be haunted by the Ghost of Posts Past, and everything you post will be replied to by the Ghost, questioning everything you say.

I will go on record as saying the pledge is silly. As someone has already said, CC has rules already. It also has moderators who step in and trim threads, or even lock them, when things get too heated.

... the ignore button is a good friend. There are several people I ignore as I just got tired of their sarcastic remarks.

What do you mean by "ignore button"? Is it just an expression you're using (as in "I'll ignore that thread") or is it a real feature? Thanks.

What do you mean by "ignore button"? Is it just an expression you're using (as in "I'll ignore that thread") or is it a real feature? Thanks.

Go to the User CP (control panel) and you'll see a whole list of things you can do. Click on edit ignore list and you'll see how to do it.

Actually, I get the feeling that hlitner tells it like it is, and sometimes that results in pointing out something negative rather than something positive about HAL. I'd rather have that than someone who is all sunshine and cotton candy.

While I'm not in favor of making pledges on a message board (the board managers have already set up rules we have, in theory, agreed to abide by), I will agree that the constant move by some posters to question each and every detail posted by other posters gets tiresome.

I feel the same way. I could hardly be accused of of spewing cotton candy and sunshine but there should be positives with your cruise line choice, shouldn't there? This thread has about the same merit as the apple pie thread.

Edited by cruz chic

I don't read this board every day, so I probably missed whatever was happening that caused the OP to feel this pledge was needed. I won't take it because I don't feel it is necessary.

The HAL forum is probably the nicest, most polite board on CC. Yes, you have posters who seem to hate everything about HAL and posters who seem to like everything about HAL, but most people state their opinions and that is what the board is -- a forum for opinions.

All of us have a tendency to forget that all you have with a forum is typed (sometimes with spelling errors, too large font, emoticons, etc.). We can't see the poster's body language, facial expression and eyes. We can't tell if the poster is serious, joking, angry or happy. If you don't like something that is posted, ignore it.

I don't read this board every day, so I probably missed whatever was happening that caused the OP to feel this pledge was needed. I won't take it because I don't feel it is necessary.

The HAL forum is probably the nicest, most polite board on CC. Yes, you have posters who seem to hate everything about HAL and posters who seem to like everything about HAL, but most people state their opinions and that is what the board is -- a forum for opinions.

All of us have a tendency to forget that all you have with a forum is typed (sometimes with spelling errors, too large font, emoticons, etc.). We can't see the poster's body language, facial expression and eyes. We can't tell if the poster is serious, joking, angry or happy. If you don't like something that is posted, ignore it.

The most amusing thing about this is that nothing was happening.:D:rolleyes: Unless of course you count all the good wishes going to Cruizin Terri for her DH......

To be honest, I think the OP was wanting a bit of attention, bless him.

Edited by Lizzie68

I will take the pledge to be kinder and gentler !

Now, what idiot started this thread :D !

When I found OP posted this same thing on the Disney Forum it made me wonder why? I have not bothered to look to see if it is posted on other forums but it made me question motivation and sincerity. I think this whole thing silly and this pledge a bit juvenile.

As has been well posted in this thread, CC has guidelines and a very competent Host who monitors this forum. If something out of line is posted, it is for the Moderator to make choices about it.

Edited by sail7seas

The most amusing thing about this is that nothing was happening.:D:rolleyes: Unless of course you count all the good wishes going to Cruizin Terri for her DH......

I agree. There is a forum wide sincerity in the concern and best wishes expressed to Cruizin Terri. This whole community was worried about her and DH and so many sent their best wishes.

I was blessed with so many kind messages of condolence that it was such a great comfort to me.

Others have suffered all sort of unhappiness, pain, illness, disappointment and this group always rallies round. We don't need a pledge to support each other when it is most needed.

This is mostly a very kind, good group of people. Sure we have our tiffs and disagreements but in general, there are very few here who go out of their way to stir the pot.

Each can decide for themselves what they think of this whole thread.

I agree. There is a forum wide sincerity in the concern and best wishes expressed to Cruizin Terri. This whole community was worried about her and DH and so many sent their best wishes.

I was blessed with so many kind messages of condolence that it was such a great comfort to me.

Others have suffered all sort of unhappiness, pain, illness, disappointment and this group always rallies round. We don't need a pledge to support each other when it is most needed.

This is mostly a very kind, good group of people. Sure we have our tiffs and disagreements but in general, there are very few here who go out of their way to stir the pot.

Each can decide for themselves what they think of this whole thread.

I think these posts say it all. Totally agree:D