tech-savvy cruisers, please give me some advice

MJC

Please help me choose between a 7" tablet, 10" tablet, or netbook, specifically to travel with. Here is what I definitely want to be able to do:

upload my pictures and delete the outtakes

compose occasional emails and send when ashore via wifi

maybe watch a movie on a plane

I am not a big gamer, I don't need to access work, I have an eReader for books and an MP3 player for the gym. I don't expect specific product recommendations and I am not buying an iPad. I've been reading a lot of reviews but I'm less interested at this point in specs and more interested in knowing which one would be best for what I would like to do with it.

I'm not a big fan of the all-in-one approach, as I recently lost my mp3 player -- glad it wasn't my phone!! -- and I like to take my eReader to the beach and pool, which I don't think is good for a tablet.

So, after all this, what should I buy?

I was with you just 6 months ago.

I have a 7 inch Tab(well, access to), an Samsung Galaxy (I think it is a 10"). I really liked both.

But then...

My work gave me an iPad. I have been anti-Apple for years, but had to learn to use the iPad as a requirement of my job.

The outcome:

I love the iPad. I gave the other tablet to family members. I will stick with my iPad. It was so easy to learn to use and travelled so well on our trip to Nepal and Tibet in May.

That is my experience.

I, too, am in a similar boat (yes, cruising pun intended). Last year, we were on our first cruise, and I brought my daughter's netbook with me. Now, I'm trying to decide if this year I can get by with my Kindle Fire (I have a regular Kindle for reading, and will still take that because I find it easier on my eyes).

Obviously, any device you're suggesting can be used for internet, as they will all connect to wifi. My hesitancy with a tablet would be: I hate "typing" on those little keyboards you have on tablets. However, the keyboards on netbooks aren't much better. I'm a pretty fast typist on a normal sized keyboard, and I get frustrated at how slow I go on a tiny keyboard.

Regarding photos: our digital cameras use SD discs. My netbook has an SD slot, so it's REALLY easy to transfer photos. I have no easy way to do the same thing with my Fire (and in fact, if you transferred hundreds of photos, you'd fill up the fire). I'm not sure about other tablets...but the last thing I'd want to do is have to lug around yet another device or cable to make the connection work.

I know this is NO help to you...there are so many possibilities. I can tell you that I never watched or wanted to watch a movie while on board the ship. Too much stuff to do...watching movies was WAY down on my list, and I'm a huge movie buff normally. A netbook, would solve all your needs, but it will be your heaviest option. If you can find a tablet that you can easily transfer photos to, and using the keyboard on the tablet doesn't drive you crazy...that's the route I'd recommend, I guess.

I love my iPad, but I rarely use it on a cruise except to an from the ship. I downloaded a ton of books, and didn't read one while onboard. I have a 32gb SD card in the photo and video camera, and waited this cruise til I got home to download them.

I, personally, love my Ipad, and use it a lot on my cruises. I have movies, books, music, games, loaded on it, and with a B2B2B coming up, it will get a lot of use. None of which will need the internet. I still usually buy a small internet package, just in case.

I also use it for downloading my daily pictures. I usually take a few 8gb cards, and don't delete pictures on them, so I have them in 2 different places for backup.

I also take my Kindle for outdoor reading.

I got the original Ipad for my birthday in 2010, and thinking about updating to the Ipad 3, but right now, my old one seems to be just fine for my needs, so I will probably wait.

IPad as well! I'm on my third one; when the new one comes out I get it and give the previous one to a friend. I've got two "new best friends" waiting for the next one to come out so one of them will get my present one, which is the IPad3, or IPad New.

IPad as well! I'm on my third one; when the new one comes out I get it and give the previous one to a friend. I've got two "new best friends" waiting for the next one to come out so one of them will get my present one, which is the IPad3, or IPad New.

Very generous, indeed!

Just purchased a nexus 7 and liking it so far:-) keyboard is small in portrait view but switching to landscape makes it so much easier! Only thing I can't do is upload photos from my camera - no card slot. Wondering if there is another way to transfer photos?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Just purchased a nexus 7 and liking it so far:-) keyboard is small in portrait view but switching to landscape makes it so much easier! Only thing I can't do is upload photos from my camera - no card slot. Wondering if there is another way to transfer photos?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

THis is one of the choices I've been exploring. Can you hook your camera up via the USB port? I have a card reader for my desktop since the one in it died, but I'd rather not bring anything extra along.

I have to say the price is very appealing.

I took the Acer Iconia 7" on our last trip. It has an SD slot for photo uploading, it was just the right size for editing a few photos (I use picsay pro which is around $3). It was good for email and browsing the web as well.

With those specific requirements in mind, using it primarily for travel, I'd opt for small size and go with a 7" tablet.

I love the idea of what an iPad can do, but they're too large, IMO.

I continue to pack a 9" netbook eee-PC because it is a "real" computer and has a "real" keyboard.

If I was to switch to something else, it would probably be a smartphone that would completely replace my existing netbook, camera, cellphone and GPS unit (and all the cables/chargers I have to carry to make this stuff work). The ease of portability would make up for the loss of computing power.

I like tablets, but don't see enough advantages at the moment.

Not sure when you're next cruise is but there are very strong rumours that there is going to be a 7inch IPad coming very very soon. Cheap. Yes I know Steve Jobs would turn in his grave or should I say urn. IMHO nothing beats an Apple device. If you like to type on a keyboard you can use a wireless one, combined no heavier than a net book, plus you can even get cases that have them built in. That way you have a "netbook" when you want to type and a tablet when you want to curl up in bed to read a "book" Also there is a little attachment that enables you to load your photos via SD card or via USB.

Personally, I have no problem typing on the onscreen keyboard so wouldn't think of taking a keyboard. The big difference between a netbook and a tablet of any make is the apps, which are fantastic. With the apps there is nothing I do on my desktop that I can't do on my IPad. Even my bank has an app so I am able to do all my banking on my IPad without having to go on a browser. I have everything I need on it. A translator for any country, a currency converter, weather reports for anywhere, maps I could go on and on but you get the idea. All this is without having to go on a browser. I never need to take anything else except my camera. All of this without a monthly bill, mine doesn't have phone capability. Some functions require wifi but most don't. Oh that reminds me there is an app that you can use to find free wifi anywhere in the world. If you download the offline version before you leave you don't need wifi to find free wifi.

Okay as you know by now I love my iPad but if you don't want to go that route I would recommend a device that works on android. Then you can get a large selection of apps. It's all about the apps.

Good luck making your choice, honestly I don't work for apple, lol.

Mary:)

I went through this dilemma last year. With my college-age son's help, we went through the options and discussed exactly what I would use it for. I specifically wanted to download photos easily, to be able to type up notes about my activities (sort of a detailed journal), send and read emails, and surf the web.

Because I type a lot, my son strongly recommended going with the netbook (with real keyboard) over a tablet. I eventually settled on the Acer Aspire and I've been very happy with it. Yes, I know you can get a keyboard for the tablets, but really if that's what you want, why not get a netbook?

For the record, I also have a e-Reader (Kindle), a smart phone, and an mp3 player.

Cruisemom42,

Yes I understand this as my NEIGHBOUR went through the same process and came to the same conclusion and got the netbook. My point is that while there are ways to make a tablet work like a netbook if someone really wants to,there is no way to make a netbook work like a tablet, all about the apps. However, everyone has to suit themselves.

Oh by the way six months after my neighbour bought her second netbook she got an iPad after playing with mine. She did buy a Bluetooth keyboard though. I have no trouble with the onscreen one.

It is good that we all have different preferences though as if we didn't the things we want would be unaffordable, supply and demand.

Mary;)

I've used an Acer netbook for travel for about 3 years and we LOVE it. I bought a small, shoulder strap case to tuck it into for through the airport. Lightweight with 9" screen that is perfect for us. I'm a very fast typist and do have to slow down a bit on that keyboard but I find it very comfortable and perfect for travel use.

Has SD slot so great to download photos.

Cruisemom42,

Yes I understand this as my NEIGHBOUR went through the same process and came to the same conclusion and got the netbook. My point is that while there are ways to make a tablet work like a netbook if someone really wants to,there is no way to make a netbook work like a tablet, all about the apps. However, everyone has to suit themselves.

Oh by the way six months after my neighbour bought her second netbook she got an iPad after playing with mine. She did buy a Bluetooth keyboard though. I have no trouble with the onscreen one.

It is good that we all have different preferences though as if we didn't the things we want would be unaffordable, supply and demand.

Mary;)

Not sure why you responded to me, I was answering the original poster's question, not responding to you. :confused:

I understand everyone's got a different point of view; I was merely offering mine.

I'm finding all your posts SO helpful, so thank you to everyone who has shared their experience. I have some time yet to make a decision, and you've all given me valuable things to think over. It really is an embarrassment of riches, isn't it?

No brainer if you want to be able to do the most and still want portability get a ultrabook or macbook air/pro.

If you really have to have the lightest thing and really want the simplest thing that works and don't want it as storage device, or content creation device get an iPAD.

yeah you'll hear arguments for android tablets etc, but the iPad is simply superior at the moment. Of course if the 100 bucks matters than the difference now is very small, personally size matters and I'd go as big as you can afford.

Please help me choose between a 7" tablet, 10" tablet, or netbook, specifically to travel with. Here is what I definitely want to be able to do:

I am not a big gamer, I don't need to access work, I have an eReader for books and an MP3 player for the gym. I don't expect specific product recommendations and I am not buying an iPad. I've been reading a lot of reviews but I'm less interested at this point in specs and more interested in knowing which one would be best for what I would like to do with it.

I'm not a big fan of the all-in-one approach, as I recently lost my mp3 player -- glad it wasn't my phone!! -- and I like to take my eReader to the beach and pool, which I don't think is good for a tablet.

So, after all this, what should I buy?

No brainer if you want to be able to do the most and still want portability get a ultrabook or macbook air/pro.

If you really have to have the lightest thing and really want the simplest thing that works and don't want it as storage device, or content creation device get an iPAD.

yeah you'll hear arguments for android tablets etc, but the iPad is simply superior at the moment. Of course if the 100 bucks matters than the difference now is very small, personally size matters and I'd go as big as you can afford.

Prior to buying my IPad2 last year, I took the advice of a former co-worker and bought a Motorola Zoom. I hated it!!; I just couldn't get used to it. I gave it away after a couple months and bought an IPad2.

Archived