Just off the Riviera

dlouise

We just returned home from 10 days on the Riviera. This was our third cruise on the Riviera, and we found the ship to be in excellent condition. They are constantly cleaning and polishing all surfaces.

The food in all the venues we tried was really good except for Red Ginger. We felt that some of the dishes were not up to the taste and quality that we have had in the past there.

We feel that Waves should stay open later in the day as some people that returned late from their tours found no food available for lunch other than room service. On a beautiful day in the Med folks would much rather sit at Waves and enjoy the outdoors and views rather than go inside to their cabin to eat.

The one thing that really bothered us was that if we arrived at the pool in the afternoon all the lounge chairs were covered with towels that had been used.....there was no one changing the towels for new arrivals. We changed them ourselves, but we expected it to be done on a regular basis. We saw some people just putting one, two and sometimes three towels on top of the dirty ones...

The pool staff did monitor the chair hogs on the one sea day, they removed all items after 45 minutes. It certainly helped everyone get a fair chance at a lounge. When we went to breakfast at 7:30 there were items on at least half the chairs at that hour!

Our suite was kept in perfect condition with items replaced as they were used without our having to ask for anything.

It was a wonderful trip on a beautiful ship with almost perfect service....

I rather think that the reason the Waves Grill and the Pool bar close relatively early is that the staff are then off to work in other kitchens/bars. And if they have been working since 11am or whenever those two places open they are entitled to at least a little time off I would think (and expect!)

Also - if the Grill closes at 1600 and dinner is started in most places at 1830 this isn't really all that long to wait, I don't think. And there is always Baristas which has little snacky things if one is totally desperate!

I rather think that the reason the Waves Grill and the Pool bar close relatively early is that the staff are then off to work in other kitchens/bars. And if they have been working since 11am or whenever those two places open they are entitled to at least a little time off I would think (and expect!)

Also - if the Grill closes at 1600 and dinner is started in most places at 1830 this isn't really all that long to wait, I don't think. And there is always Baristas which has little snacky things if one is totally desperate!

Also plenty of food at the tea.

One has to try the 4 PM to 5 PM tea at least once so you can eat the amazing scones (plain or raisin) with clotted cream and jam.

I think it is the best "Tea at Sea". Having cruised on Cunard, Silversea, Regent and Seabourn, among others, none are better than the tea on Oceania, IMO.

I agree, we had a lovely tea at sea! I don't remember the name now, but it was VERY special. I think this special event was only offered once or twice during our cruise. The traditional tea I believe was offered daily. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong. :p

They sometimes have a very special tea offered on some cruise

The pastry chefs go all out for that tea with spun sugar sculptures ..tables ladened with sweet offerings

lyn

The pastry chefs go all out for that tea with spun sugar sculptures ..tables ladened with sweet offerings

lyn

Oh yes they did! People were lined up outside waiting for the doors to open to get in and take pictures. We even had freshly prepared crepe suzette! It was the best tea at sea we've ever been to. I hope to see it again on our next TA cruise. :D

lyn

We are not regular tea fans but we attended the High Tea served one sea day of a long cruise. It was held in the Regatta Lounge (yes, on an R ship) and the concoctions were fabulous! It's worth attending just for the spectacle!

We are not regular tea fans but we attended the High Tea served one sea day of a long cruise. It was held in the Regatta Lounge (yes, on an R ship) and the concoctions were fabulous! It's worth attending just for the spectacle!

You can ask for other beverages;)

Yes it was lovely ...they do not have it on all cruises ..we have had it done on just a few of our cruises

Definitely worth checking out even if you resist the goodies

As I said the chefs pull out all the stops for the special tea ;)

Lyn

Yes it was lovely ...they do not have it on all cruises ..we have had it done on just a few of our cruises

Lyn

It's not the beverage that's the problem - it's all those wonderful sticky, gooey, yummy calories!!

• 4 months later...

dlouise, I think our cruise on Marina this September is very similar to yours on the Riviera last August. We are stopping in Marseile, Monte Carlo, Cinque Terre, Livorno, Olbia, LaGoulette, Valetta, Catania, Capri and Rome. If you stopped at any of these ports, can you let me know which ones had shuttles to the main town? Which ones did you DIY and which ones did you book any kind of tour (and whether on your own or thru Oceania) and if it was good or not. We are first timers on Oceania, but have cruised before on Celebrity, HAL and most recently Seabourn. Any suggestions/information/guidance you can provide relating to the ports or the cruise line are greatly appreciated. :o

dlouise, I think our cruise on Marina this September is very similar to yours on the Riviera last August. We are stopping in Marseile, Monte Carlo, Cinque Terre, Livorno, Olbia, LaGoulette, Valetta, Catania, Capri and Rome. If you stopped at any of these ports, can you let me know which ones had shuttles to the main town? Which ones did you DIY and which ones did you book any kind of tour (and whether on your own or thru Oceania) and if it was good or not. We are first timers on Oceania, but have cruised before on Celebrity, HAL and most recently Seabourn. Any suggestions/information/guidance you can provide relating to the ports or the cruise line are greatly appreciated. :o

Not the OP, but for Marseilles, I highly recommend for Marseilles Provence Greeters. They are volunteers and it is free with a donation (if you are so inclined) to the organization. We tipped our guide and asked her to give what she thought was appropriate to the organization. It was a fabulous day. There was a shuttle, but we took a cab to be on time and spent far more time than promised with Danielle. Along with the major sights, she took us for a walk to see the "real" Marseilles and we had a lovely bite in a small spot where the locals go. They don't confirm until close to the time but I am really glad we did it.

For Monte Carlo - there is so much more to the French Riviera than just Monte Carlo - try Ingrid of Kultours or Sylvie Di Cristo - both excellent guides and both on trip advisor. We have used them both and had fantastic days.

For Livorno and Rome I can recommend Rome in Limo.

And for Cinque Terre, with a bit of research (and there are some great threads on the ports of call boards), you can do it on your own if you are so inclined.

Hope this helps a bit :)

thanks so much for the great review.

The information on the high tea is very good too.

We too are newbies on O so absorbing all the information we can get.

The high tea is spectacular, a dessert extravaganza like no other. The orchestra plays, people dance, the crew mingles with passengers. Just heavenly. Take a camera and get there early. Some port intensive cruises may not have it.

We recently did the Cinque Terre off Marina and used Joe Bananas Limos , it was a fabulous day for a reasonable price.

Edited by sammiedawg

Lyn

Just to clarify, there is tea every day in the Horizons with almost as many goodies, well half as many, as in the photos but occasionally they do a "high" tea and pull out all the stops.

Just to clarify, there is tea every day in the Horizons with almost as many goodies, well half as many, as in the photos but occasionally they do a "high" tea and pull out all the stops.

I agree

I think the special tea is on longer cruises

Not the OP, but for Marseilles, I highly recommend for Marseilles Provence Greeters

Thank you so much! I just registered for a walk! Being that we are still Being that we are still 235 days from that day (but who is counting LOL), I guess we will not hear from them for awhile. It asked for a donation when I registered but I declined - being our date is so far away, I am more comfortable doing what you said and giving the $$$ to the greeter that day - will that still assign a greeter if I declined?