Before you complain about HAL ships getting larger...

InTheWASide

Just found this post over on the Royal Caribbean forums:

Currently sailing on the Oasis of the Seas. There are 8,490 passengers and crew on board which is a World Record. First time ever that a ship has carried that many people. Largest Ship in the world, and the largest amount of people on board, Congratulations Royal Caribbean.

The VISION class are the smallest RCI class ship with 2,196-2,443 passengers depending on the ship. That's bigger than all HAL ships except the Koningsdam, Nieuw Amsterdam, and the Eurodam.

Edited by qsuzi

Oasis is a full-featured ship. Great for families with kids who need lots of activities. We have taken two grandchildren on Royal Caribbean cruises for their 13th birthdays. (Not the behemoths.) We all had a good time. But joining that many folks on a cruise is not my cup of tea. I don't need a FlowRider, bumper cars, ice rink, etc. Holland America's smaller and mid-sized ships with their understated elegance are just right for my tastes.

Trusted friends who are experienced travelers raved about Oasis/Allure. The ship is so large and so many venues to be in the crowds were not a problem for them sailing at non peak times. The 8000 passenger count would be reflective of spring break, lots of third and fourth passengers. I would avoid spring break or the holiday season but otherwise I would love to try one . These two ships command a very high average per diem, much higher than what HAL unloads cabins for in the Caribbean.

Future HAL ships will be at least 2500 passenger sized but they will be new and hopefully more interesting to sail on.

We have a couple Disney trips planned for the extended family, then we will graduate to the Oasis class.

Edited by sammiedawg

IMO, anything 3,000 pax or larger is too big. We'd avoid such vessels.

I hear you and totally understand. What is amazing is that the Oasis and Allure have the best/fastest embarkation and debarkation of any ship we have cruised- terminal specifically built for them. They also do a great job spreading people throughout the ship and passenger flow reminds you of a mid-sized ship except on embarkation day and disembarkation morning.

Oasis is a full-featured ship. Great for families with kids who need lots of activities. We have taken two grandchildren on Royal Caribbean cruises for their 13th birthdays. (Not the behemoths.) We all had a good time. But joining that many folks on a cruise is not my cup of tea. I don't need a FlowRider, bumper cars, ice rink, etc. Holland America's smaller and mid-sized ships with their understated elegance are just right for my tastes.

........and that is why we cruise on Hal. Not for bumper cars, flowriders, or anything else in that direction. I'm sure it is great for families with kids, but just not our cup of tea.

........and that is why we cruise on Hal. Not for bumper cars, flowriders, or anything else in that direction. I'm sure it is great for families with kids, but just not our cup of tea.

Don't think we even went near those features but we do love to watch the professional ice skating shows. So many more options and the best professional entertainment (Broadway caliber) at sea. But smaller cabins and balconies comparatively and other pros/cons RCI/HAL.

Edited by qsuzi

I hear you and totally understand. What is amazing is that the Oasis and Allure have the best/fastest embarkation and debarkation of any ship we have cruised- terminal specifically built for them. They also do a great job spreading people throughout the ship and passenger flow reminds you of a mid-sized ship except on embarkation day and disembarkation morning.

Part of that is the Oasis/Allure monotony of itineraries. When Oasis did it's transatlantic and got away from it's cookie cutter process things were very bad, both for embarkation in Rotterdam and Southampton and for disembarkation in Fort Lauderdale. And the Horizon of the Seas will be significantly bigger than the 2 current monsters.

Roy

Edited by rafinmd

Part of that is the Oasis/Allure monotony of itineraries. When Oasis did it's transatlantic and got away from it's cookie cutter process things were very bad, both for embarkation in Rotterdam and Southampton and for disembarkation in Fort Lauderdale. And the Horizon of the Seas will be significantly bigger than the 2 current monsters.

Roy

Roy

You hit on the key reason we haven't been on those ships in a long time and don't plan on returning at this point - the monotony of the itinerary. I can't imagine those ships in Southampton (we have been to that port) - WHAT were they thinking? I haven't checked out the Horizon but wow. We have some very dear friends that sail RCI so we are going with them this June; will be on the Radiance class (Jewel) for the first time.

Edited by qsuzi

I'm going to experience the best of both worlds this year. This summer my Mom and I are taking the Noordam through Alaska. For this cruise I meticulously selected the destination, itinerary, cruise line, and vessel. It's a dream trip to celebrate Mom's 85th birthday. In the autumn I'm on the Oasis for a professional conference. Because I wanted to attend that conference, there was no choice of date, destination, or anything else. The great thing is it "forces" me to try the Oasis, a ship that sounds too big and busy for my taste. If I don't love it, at least I will get my required professional education hours for the year. And if I do love it I will have broadened my horizons.

Vicki

You hit on the key reason we haven't been on those ships in a long time and don't plan on returning at this point - the monotony of the itinerary. I can't imagine those ships in Southampton (we have been to that port) - WHAT were they thinking? I haven't checked out the Horizon but wow. We have some very dear friends that sail RCI so we are going with them this June; will be on the Radiance class (Jewel) for the first time.

I think you'll enjoy the Radiance Class. I've been on 2 Radiance class ships and enjoyed both, as well as the Vision class, just getting off the Grandeur this morning.

Roy

I think you'll enjoy the Radiance Class. I've been on 2 Radiance class ships and enjoyed both, as well as the Vision class, just getting off the Grandeur this morning.

Roy

Welcome home. We were on the Grandeur in 2002. How recently has she been refurbished? She has the retractable roof over the pool, right? What did you find to like about her?

It would be interesting if they ever had to abandon ship with that many on board. I know it should be just the same, bigger ship, more people, but still........

Now this post gives you pause to think. Never thought about that while onboard.

I know a lot of people like those ships and that's fine for them.

Sorry, but what RCCL does had nothing to do with HAL IMO.

And yes, I would like to see another Prinsendam built before this one disappears.

I would have been on her in the fall if she wasn't sailing out of the port she was. So, we are doing Oceania which is a smaller ship.

Each to their own. Please don't ask me to be grateful that HAL's new build is smaller than this.

From what I have seen so far, I am not thrilled and I don't know if we will be on her. But time will tell I guess.

I'm going to experience the best of both worlds this year. This summer my Mom and I are taking the Noordam through Alaska. For this cruise I meticulously selected the destination, itinerary, cruise line, and vessel. It's a dream trip to celebrate Mom's 85th birthday. In the autumn I'm on the Oasis for a professional conference. Because I wanted to attend that conference, there was no choice of date, destination, or anything else. The great thing is it "forces" me to try the Oasis, a ship that sounds too big and busy for my taste. If I don't love it, at least I will get my required professional education hours for the year. And if I do love it I will have broadened my horizons.

Vicki

If you are an adventurer you will find the nooks and crannies. Try the Park Cafe on Deck 8 and check out the 2 smaller speciality restaurants on that deck. Be sure to sign up in advance online for show and specialty dining reservations you are interested in. Check the electronic boards throughout the ship to see what restaurants and other venues are slow or crowded.

Edited by qsuzi

Since at least one person seemed confused by the title of this thread :rolleyes:

Named it what I did because no matter how you slice it 2660 plus crew is still a far, far cry from well over 8000.

Yes, HAL ships are bigger than they used to be, but they're also not on the heels of joining the 8000 club anytime soon...

Since at least one person seemed confused by the title of this thread :rolleyes:

Named it what I did because no matter how you slice it 2660 plus crew is still a far, far cry from well over 8000.

Yes, HAL ships are bigger than they used to be, but they're also not on the heels of joining the 8000 club anytime soon...

to be clear I don't care if they are on the heals of joining the 8000 club or not. Since they advertise themselves as mid size ships, why would they even be part of that club?

The comparison just makes no sense to me. Sorry. I guess I have missed the boat one more time.

Edited by kazu