Also live on QE with puzzling situation

treasurer

Hi all on board and at home,

We boarded QE in NYC where we have lived for over 40 years. Before the trip began, we read on Cruise Critic about the problems with the weather out of Hamburg into Southampton and the 6 hour delay in sailing to New York, also of the $50 obc provided to the passengers for their inconvenience.

We received an email from Cunard before the sail date saying the weather was continuing to cause delays and we would have the same situation in New York--a 6 hour delay boarding with a wait in a hotel, but in addition, the QE would not leave until the following evening and we would miss Nassau completely.

We were very disappointed to be sitting in our home city for an extra day and delaying the start of our vacation, but understood the reason since most passengers wanted a full day of tours etc. in NYC.

I went to the Pursers office to inquire if the handful of passengers who were "staying home" on board for an extra day would receive any compensation. It was noted, and I was told that the supervisor was busy and would get back to me. I have stopped in two additional times to inquire about it and have been given similar answers.

We boarded Sunday. It is now Friday. No one has gotten back to me. We are Diamond members so are accustomed to Cunard's high standards and professionalism. Have they adopted the policy that no answer is better than a negative answer?

Hi all on board and at home,

We boarded QE in NYC where we have lived for over 40 years. Before the trip began, we read on Cruise Critic about the problems with the weather out of Hamburg into Southampton and the 6 hour delay in sailing to New York, also of the $50 obc provided to the passengers for their inconvenience.

We received an email from Cunard before the sail date saying the weather was continuing to cause delays and we would have the same situation in New York--a 6 hour delay boarding with a wait in a hotel, but in addition, the QE would not leave until the following evening and we would miss Nassau completely.

We were very disappointed to be sitting in our home city for an extra day and delaying the start of our vacation, but understood the reason since most passengers wanted a full day of tours etc. in NYC.

I went to the Pursers office to inquire if the handful of passengers who were "staying home" on board for an extra day would receive any compensation. It was noted, and I was told that the supervisor was busy and would get back to me. I have stopped in two additional times to inquire about it and have been given similar answers.

We boarded Sunday. It is now Friday. No one has gotten back to me. We are Diamond members so are accustomed to Cunard's high standards and professionalism. Have they adopted the policy that no answer is better than a negative answer?

Treasurer, I'm sorry you haven't received an answer to your question. Since you are Diamond World Club members, perhaps the World Club representative on board (I believe that would be someone in the Future Voyage Office) can be of assistance. Alternatively, if you know the name/title of the person who would be in a position to respond directly to your question, perhaps writing a note to him or her and dropping it off at the Purser desk would get results.

BTW, I empathize with your disappointment. NY is also my home, and as much as I love it here, one more cold rainy day rather than warmth and sunshine wouldn't rock my boat either :)

It does seem a bit contradictory that an OBC was offered for the 6 hour delay in departure from Southampton and yet nothing was offered for the 24+hour delay from NY. Of course, Cunard has no obligation (according to the terms of the Passage Contract) to offer any compensation whatsoever, although it is certainly a nice gesture and good public relations move to do so. Nevertheless, not to respond to a loyal passengers legitimate question nicely asked is unacceptable.

On a brighter note, enjoy the warm weather and try not to miss the snow expected in NY on Saturday and again on Monday;):) -Salacia

It seems something should have been offered in the form of a small OBC for those of you delayed in NY - but not just because you are Diamond - the same treatment should be given to all - imho.

I get slightly irritated by members claiming this that and the other simply because of their tier level - you get extra benefits anyway. In these circumstances it should make no difference what level you are.

It seems something should have been offered in the form of a small OBC for those of you delayed in NY - but not just because you are Diamond - the same treatment should be given to all - imho.

I get slightly irritated by members claiming this that and the other simply because of their tier level - you get extra benefits anyway. In these circumstances it should make no difference what level you are.

Hi Mysticalmother. I mentioned the OP's World Club status only because I suggested contacting the World Club representative on board. I think the OP mentioned being Diamond Level to further explain disappointment with not receiving a reply from the Purser Desk as it is not consistent with past experience - at least, that's how I interpret the statement "We are Diamond members so are accustomed to Cunard's high standards and professionalism." A first time passenger would have no previous experience of the way things usually work on board, by contrast, a Diamond Level passenger would no doubt be very experienced - and obviously previously satisfied or he/she wouldn't keep returning :)

By the way, I agree with your statement that "It seems something should have been offered in the form of a small OBC for those of you delayed in NY - but not just because you are Diamond - the same treatment should be given to all - imho."

although I have no suggestion on what kind (or amount) of compensation be offered. Those who missed work due to delayed arrival in Florida, or who had to change travel plans, those who lost payments on pre-booked private tours in the Florida port and/or the Nassau port - they suffered an economic loss, while others were disappointed that the start of their holiday was delayed. Technically, I suppose Cunard owes them all nothing, but Cunard does own the OP an answer to her question, imho. -S.

Edited by Salacia

Treasurer and Salacia - re reading the OPs post I tend to agree I may have misinterpreted the reference to diamond status, so my apologies if I sounded grumpy towards you! And I repeat I do think Cunard should offer some small compensation to those delayed in boarding, especially as you have missed a port of call as well.

The OP's protest begs the question: Notwithstanding the later boarding time, does a 24 delay in sailaway while one is still enjoying most onboard amenities constitute a compensable "delaying the start of our vacation"?

Answer: No--only legitimate complaint is one less day in better weather than New York is currently providing, which of course can never be guaranteed. Expecting some sort of compensation simply because those who endured the frightfully larger inconvenience of delayed disembarkation received a bit is petty. And if missing Nassau is the main issue, methinks one needs to get out more.

I do agree that you deserve an adequate answer from the Purser's desk. And it appears you already have. I commend Cunard for their "high standards and professionalism" in prioritizing a demand for compensation-strictly-for-compensation's-sake in a most appropriate manner.

Edited by fishywood

I think Cunard has set a precedent. It depends on the reason they gave for the $50 OBC. If they said it was for the inconvenience of boarding 6 hours late in Southampton, then people who boarded 6 hours late in New York should receive a similar amount.

I don't agree that the amount should be given because of the change of ports (i.e. an extra day in New York) as cruise ships often change the itinerary for various reasons and we have to accept that they are doing the best they can.

I do think that they need to look at people who were a day late getting to Fort Lauderdale to disembark and may have incurred extra expenses as a result of changing flights. However, as Scrapnana has pointed out, her costs were cheap compared with the fun of an extra day cruising. (Others may have incurred higher costs.)

I also wonder about those who were due to board in Fort Lauderdale and have therefore missed out on a day of their cruise. They deserve at least pro rata compensation for that missed day.

The OP's protest begs the question: Notwithstanding the later boarding time, does a 24 delay in sailaway while one is still enjoying most onboard amenities constitute a compensable "delaying the start of our vacation"?

Answer: No--only legitimate complaint is one less day in better weather than New York is currently providing, which of course can never be guaranteed. Expecting some sort of compensation simply because those who endured the frightfully larger inconvenience of delayed disembarkation received a bit is petty. And if missing Nassau is the main issue, methinks one needs to get out more.

I do agree that you deserve an adequate answer from the Purser's desk. And it appears you already have. I commend Cunard for their "high standards and professionalism" in prioritizing a demand for compensation-strictly-for-compensation's-sake in a most appropriate manner.

Fishywood, the OP did not make a 'demand', she merely asked a question. Considering that passengers whose departure was delayed by six hours in Southampton were given a modest OBC, is it not a fair question to ask if the delayed departure from NY would result in similar treatment?

Your comment regarding Nassau is interesting. Perhaps you should suggest that Cunard does not include that port stop on future itineraries.

Lastly, if I understand your closing comment, you feel that Cunard/Purser Desk is acting appropriately in not responding to the OP's inquiry. If that is the new policy on Cunard ships, woe to passengers. -Salacia

What about those passengers who joined QE just before Christmas for a journey to Amsterdam with a nights stay in town, never got there ! Just bobbed around the Channel for a few days and got back to Southampton a Day early. Plus the added bonus of Diesel fumes.

No compensation was offered by Cunard or any Future obc towards another cruise.

Even the Carnival staff with friends and family who were on board and had paid their fares were not happy!

Edited by Pennbank

What about those passengers who joined QE just before Christmas for a journey to Amsterdam with a nights stay in town, never got there ! Just bobbed around the Channel for a few days and got back to Southampton a Day early. Plus the added bonus of Diesel fumes.

No compensation was offered by Cunard or any Future obc towards another cruise.

Even the Carnival staff with friends and family who were on board and had paid their fares were not happy!

I was on that cruise. We got $75 each compensation added to our account. We didn't expect it as we've had missed ports previously.

If people want compensation for missed ports, it's an idea to take out Cruise Cover on top of your travel insurance. This covers things like itinerary change, unused excursions, missed port departure etc.

At the minimum you should receive a refund of the port fees allocated to the missed Nassau stop.

But we missed Newport on our New England cruise and I don't recall that being part of the deal...

Edited by Underwatr

Was there any difference in the length of notice given to embarking passengers in Southampton, compared with the length of notice given to people joining in New York?

I don't know, I'm only asking.

Best wishes.

Hi pepper. I don't know either, nor do I know how that information was communicated to passengers. Often, it's not as important as to when the message was sent as it is when the message was received (think Titanic).

For those NY embarking passengers who were not notified by a phone call from Cunard - (and I have no idea if there was an attempt to contact passengers by phone) - the only other way embarking passengers would have be aware of the delay was by internet access to social media, e-mail or this forum. Actually, embarking passengers reading this forum would have be aware of the potential for delay long before any statement was announced. (Three cheers to those that post on board, those who track the ships course and those of us who ask silly questions as I often do :)

But I don't think anyone could have known that the ship would overnight in NY, arrive a day late in FFL and cancel the port stop in Nassau until Cunard announced that decision via the internet.

If there was any time difference as to when passengers were notified of the 6 hour delay in departure from Southampton as opposed to the notification of the more than 24 hour delay in departure from NY, I'm missing the significance.

Just to mention a personal past experience on another cruise line a few years ago: departure was delayed for hours, and it was a very nasty situation in the Manhattan cruise terminal as passengers waited and waited without any clear information from the cruise line. My husband and I sat on the floor with other passengers (having given up our chairs to those who needed to the chairs more than we needed them). We have not since sailed on that cruise line. By comparison, Cunard handled the delay in departure well from what I have read. And that is to be acknowledged: as the saying goes "give credit where credit is due" :) -Cheers -S.

Edited by Salacia

... If there was any time difference as to when passengers were notified of the 6 hour delay in departure from Southampton as opposed to the notification of the more than 24 hour delay in departure from NY, I'm missing the significance. ...
Hi Salacia,

Thank you for the reply :) .

I believe that the delay in boarding at both Southampton and New York was the same, six hours, and that passengers in Southampton were accommodated in the hospitality suite of a soccer stadium, people in New York waited at a large hotel.

My understanding (from two friends currently onboard QE) is that the $50 OBC was an apology for the short notice period given for the change of plan, and for late boarding. Not for late departure.

I hope and trust that the organisation, entertainment and food/drink available in New York was at least equal to that provided in Southampton.

As I said, I do not know the difference in notice period given to both sets of passengers.

I know that passengers in Southampton were told by email two days prior to sailing that there would be a delay in boarding.

They were then advised, on the afternoon before departure date, by email of the alternative arrangements that Cunard had organised (amazingly at such short notice) less than 24 hours before boarding was originally/normally due to commence.

What notice was given to people joining in New York? A few hours? A day? Two? Several? I do not know.

The organisation and services provided to departing passengers, that I saw in Southampton on departure day, was flawless, as far as I could tell.

Additionally there was no opportunity to "overnight" in Southampton, as there was in New York, as the ship was intending to reclaim lost time on the crossing (and with all respect to Southampton, the city cannot compete with New York for diversions and entertainment). QE left shortly after midnight. Had the weather been favourable, there would have been a chance that she could have arrived in New York on time. As it was she had to take a storm-avoiding diversion and reduce speed.

Passengers from outside the New York area had the opportunity to enjoy the facilities of the ship and a "free" moored-mid-town "Manhattan Hotel" overnight. A chance to see New York at night, and then by day. A rare opportunity for many.

People living close to/in New York were able to board the ship, a few hours late. All the facilities of the ship were theirs to utilise. They may not have been pleased to wake the next morning and still be able to see "home" so to speak. I can understand any possible frustration. Were they allowed to stay at home and board a day late? I've no idea.

My friends were disappointed to miss Nassau, and having "done New York to death" many times previously, were keen to "get going". However they thought that Cunard did the best they could have done under the circumstances, with the logistics of refueling, reprovisioning (could either have been done/allowed overnight?) etc. (They also wondered if consideration was given to selected crew being denied time ashore in Southampton and New York, being an additional factor?).

In the end, as you are fond of saying, "ship happens". $50 is neither here nor there, a token gesture. Speaking for myself, I don't seek compensation for every little disappointment in life. As I strolled her public rooms, even moored in New York impatient to go, I would have thought to myself "I'm on board the QE, and about to start a world cruise, wow!"

Best wishes to you as always :)

Edited by pepperrn

I was on that cruise. We got $75 each compensation added to our account. We didn't expect it as we've had missed ports previously.

If people want compensation for missed ports, it's an idea to take out Cruise Cover on top of your travel insurance. This covers things like itinerary change, unused excursions, missed port departure etc.

Sorry did not realise that they gave the whopping sum of $75 obc, not a great deal under £50 for getting home a day early and not visiting any port !

Compared to the cost of the ticket.

Its ok when you have other ports on the literary to miss, but not when there is only 1 !

Edited by Pennbank

Hey Ray, thanks for pointing that out. Like most of us, we've experienced delay in departure and cancelled ports. Never asked for or received compensation from any cruise line - much to my chagrin, it never occurred to me to check my travel insurance policy for coverage of such events. Thanks again for bringing it to my attention. Cheers -S

Hi Salacia,

Thank you for the reply :) .

I believe that the delay in boarding at both Southampton and New York was the same, six hours, and that passengers in Southampton were accommodated in the hospitality suite of a soccer stadium, people in New York waited at a large hotel.

My understanding (from two friends currently onboard QE) is that the $50 OBC was an apology for the short notice period given for the change of plan, and for late boarding. Not for late departure.

I hope and trust that the organisation, entertainment and food/drink available in New York was at least equal to that provided in Southampton.

As I said, I do not know the difference in notice period given to both sets of passengers.

I know that passengers in Southampton were told by email two days prior to sailing that there would be a delay in boarding.

They were then advised, on the afternoon before departure date, by email of the alternative arrangements that Cunard had organised (amazingly at such short notice) less than 24 hours before boarding was originally/normally due to commence.

What notice was given to people joining in New York? A few hours? A day? Two? Several? I do not know.

The organisation and services provided to departing passengers, that I saw in Southampton on departure day, was flawless, as far as I could tell.

Additionally there was no opportunity to "overnight" in Southampton, as there was in New York, as the ship was intending to reclaim lost time on the crossing (and with all respect to Southampton, the city cannot compete with New York for diversions and entertainment). QE left shortly after midnight. Had the weather been favourable, there would have been a chance that she could have arrived in New York on time. As it was she had to take a storm-avoiding diversion and reduce speed.

Passengers from outside the New York area had the opportunity to enjoy the facilities of the ship and a "free" moored-mid-town "Manhattan Hotel" overnight. A chance to see New York at night, and then by day. A rare opportunity for many.

People living close to/in New York were able to board the ship, a few hours late. All the facilities of the ship were theirs to utilise. They may not have been pleased to wake the next morning and still be able to see "home" so to speak. I can understand any possible frustration. Were they allowed to stay at home and board a day late? I've no idea.

My friends were disappointed to miss Nassau, and having "done New York to death" many times previously, were keen to "get going". However they thought that Cunard did the best they could have done under the circumstances, with the logistics of refueling, reprovisioning (could either have been done/allowed overnight?) etc. (They also wondered if consideration was given to selected crew being denied time ashore in Southampton and New York, being an additional factor?).

In the end, as you are fond of saying, "ship happens". $50 is neither here nor there, a token gesture. Speaking for myself, I don't seek compensation for every little disappointment in life. As I strolled her public rooms, even moored in New York impatient to go, I would have thought to myself "I'm on board the QE, and about to start a world cruise, wow!"

Best wishes to you as always :)

Hi Pepper. I agree with you that a $50 OBC is a token gesture. To inquire about an OBC might be meaningless, except as a point of principle. But that is not the point raised by the OP. The OP simply asked a valid question of the Purser, and not having received a response asked "Have they adopted the policy that no answer is better than a negative answer?" - And the answer is apparently yes.

BTW, Fifty or 75 dollars on board credit would cost Cunard far less in real money, considering the mark-up and 15% added gratuity for service. And to most Cunard passengers, it is chump change when compared to the cost of the voyage/cruise.

Something that I have been wondering about - did the ship need repairs when docking in NY after the severe weather encountered during the crossing?

As to enjoying the facilities of the ship, we all know that while the ship is in port, some facilities are closed, service and power is reduced. A ship at sea is very different from a ship at port. Although I understand than the Queen docked in California is very popular.

Cheers, - Salacia

Edited by Salacia

At the minimum you should receive a refund of the port fees allocated to the missed Nassau stop.

But we missed Newport on our New England cruise and I don't recall that being part of the deal...

Not a bad idea, but I would think they would still have to pay fees, staff would have been on stand by, and a berth would have been booked.:confused:

I was on QE Southampton to Southampton via Hamburg and stayed on for the Atlantic crossing.

The weather was against us all the way, but hey it is January mid winter . We expect nothing less.

Hamburg was wet and wild but once we left it became apparent we would not make it back into Southampton as the winds in the channel were very strong. Cunard were aware of this and made us all aware.

Many people had onward journeys and all plans were cancelled . We were to be 8 hours late arriving into Southampton. Entertainment was laid on and people were all Ok about the unavoidable situation. We were all given $50 each OBS for the inconvenience. A nice gesture of goodwill that kept people happy.

When we did arrive, Cunard had made arrangements of all new passengers who would be late boarding. I understand from passengers involved it was all managed in a good manner.

It became obvious as we crossed the pond we would have to sail further South to avoid the weather. We took the same route as we did the previous year heading South. However, we hit more bad weather that delayed our arrival in New York.

In fact we were not all that late arriving. Last year we arrived late at about

9-0am. This year we arrive around 11-0am. Normal time of arrival in decent weather is around 7-30am.

The Captain told us all the previous day we would arrive late, but they had made arrangements to stay overnight as it is a big change over port and also a loading port for supplies. Guests were happy to have extra time on board. He also told us guests leaving in FL would have extra time as they would be late in arriving. Guests were given access to free phone calls and flight were re arranged.

The reason they would miss Nassau according to the Captain was because they had to make up time and Curacao is a main port for taking on fuel and supplies.

No one as far as I am aware were unhappy about been in New York overnight. Having said that I disembarked the cruise in New York only to be delayed for two days later. Our airline in JFK Norwegian Air, was three hours late , and we missed our connection in London and were stranded for two days in the airport in London waiting for a return flight home. No $50 offered and no compensation from the airline so far .:)

Some questions were asked previously that I can answer.

I received an e-mail on 8 January from Cunard saying that the return to Southampton by QE was being monitored and more information was to follow.

On 9 January I received another e-mail detailing the delay and the arrangements made for us at St. Mary's Stadium. There were also letters in the major hotels from Cunard giving the same information.

Those who had access to mobile phones received texts from Cunard. (My phone does not work in the UK so I keep it on airplane mode.)

As I have mentioned on another thread, Cunard did an excellent job of keeping us updated. Angus Struthers (Marketing Director) visited each of the rooms at the stadium to keep us updated and David Noyes (CEO) visited as well. Angus Struthers also met each of the buses that carried us to the terminal (apologizing again).

Here is what I wrote on my blog.

"All in all it has not been too bad. Yes, I would rather be on the ship but I feel Cunard has done its best in a trying situation (and at the last minute). They have been good to make frequent announcements so we knew what was going on and the staff of the stadium have been great replenishing food and drink and checking if we needed anything."

On the noon Captain's announcements on 16 January we found out about the changes in regards to NYC, Fort Lauderdale and Nassau. A letter detailing the same information arrived in my stateroom that evening.

We were told that passengers embarking in NYC could only do so on the 18th (no provisions to do so on the 19th).

Some questions were asked previously that I can answer.

I received an e-mail on 8 January from Cunard saying that the return to Southampton by QE was being monitored and more information was to follow.

On 9 January I received another e-mail detailing the delay and the arrangements made for us at St. Mary's Stadium. There were also letters in the major hotels from Cunard giving the same information.

Those who had access to mobile phones received texts from Cunard. (My phone does not work in the UK so I keep it on airplane mode.)

As I have mentioned on another thread, Cunard did an excellent job of keeping us updated. Angus Struthers (Marketing Director) visited each of the rooms at the stadium to keep us updated and David Noyes (CEO) visited as well. Angus Struthers also met each of the buses that carried us to the terminal (apologizing again).

Here is what I wrote on my blog.

"All in all it has not been too bad. Yes, I would rather be on the ship but I feel Cunard has done its best in a trying situation (and at the last minute). They have been good to make frequent announcements so we knew what was going on and the staff of the stadium have been great replenishing food and drink and checking if we needed anything."

On the noon Captain's announcements on 16 January we found out about the changes in regards to NYC, Fort Lauderdale and Nassau. A letter detailing the same information arrived in my stateroom that evening.

We were told that passengers embarking in NYC could only do so on the 18th (no provisions to do so on the 19th).

Like MaggieM I too was on Queen Elizabeth to Hamburg and return and we were kept fully informed of the late arrival situation.

Indeed, Cunard couldn't do enough even offering free calls for those who needed to make/change travel arrangements.

Well done Cunard.

Penbank,

I agree about where did the £249 fare come from? I never saw fares that low.

Did we really sail over to Weymouth? Must have been overnight as I have photos taken of the white cliffs of Dover and going through the Dover>Calais area on the 20th December (cruise started on 19th December).

Penbank,

I agree about where did the £249 fare come from? I never saw fares that low.

Did we really sail over to Weymouth? Must have been overnight as I have photos taken of the white cliffs of Dover and going through the Dover>Calais area on the 20th December (cruise started on 19th December).

Perhaps even further, see TV pics of QE journey to no where.

IMG_4364.jpg.89842122cdea323a34dc78b567b8dcae.jpg

IMG_4417_2.jpg.7c952bdb755d980ddcb365ed155f76d9.jpg

Edited by Pennbank