Would love to see New Caribbean Itineraries

CrTrav74

As much as I love to sail with Celebrity, I would love to see

more variety in itineraries.

Sailed on Eclipse Nov 2015 Southern Caribbean 14 nights.

Eclipse is still doing the same itinerary Nov 16, March 17, Nov 17, March 18

Same story with other S class ships in the Caribbean.

Would love to stop for example in Grand Turk, Nassau Bahamas, CocoCay (Royal Caribbean private island), Labadee Haiti, Tortola, Dom. Republic, etc.

If they adjust even some ports, I would be more inclined to book

another cruise.

What are your thoughts ?

A great idea, for sure. My suggestion would be, get a write in campaign going to X directly and not idle wishing on CC, albeit can be an adjunct to the write in campaign.

bon voyage

The large ships can't be accomodated in some of the ports.

Yes that's true in some of the smaller ports, but the larger ships can dock definitely in for example Labadee, Nassau, CocoCay and I think also Grand Turk.

Well, I suppose this will be considered blasphemy, but you know, there are perfectly nice cruise lines / ships that go to those ports you want to see, and more.

After 40 cruises, not all on X, I am going to a new port for me in March - Guatemala. This will be on HAL.

I get that people on this board love Celebrity, I do too, but I sure do not limit my cruising experiences to only them.

I agree. We're coming up on our 4th time on the 14 day Eclipse itinerary in January and when I saw the same type of itinerary for 2018 we switched over to a 12 day on Silhouette since it features Dominica (never been there), San Juan (only been once), and Grenada (only been once).

Would love to stop for example in Grand Turk, Nassau Bahamas, CocoCay (Royal Caribbean private island), Labadee Haiti, Tortola, Dom. Republic, etc.

another cruise.

What are your thoughts ?

I have been with Celebrity on Grand Turk and Tortola and others. Azamara needs to add these too. It is the same parent company so i wonder why they are not going there. back in college i was in Haiti but no one will be going there for a long time now. i am also missing St Lucia.

Cruise ships don't stop at the better islands, although that's subjective and my opinion, but the quiet, less touristed islands I've always enjoyed more and been to almost every Caribbean island. Favorites have been Montserrat, Nevis, Saba, Culebra, Virgin Gorda, St. Barts, Tobago, San Andres, Bocas del Toro, Eleuthera and Guadeloupe and Martinique those cruise ships do stop at the latter two but less frequently.

I hate to be a Debbie Downer (I apologize if I offend anyone named Debbie) but I have been to 90% of the islands and I find them all to be pretty much the same. Even the made-up ports such as Riviera Maya offer beaches, drinks with umbrellas, and occasional ruins. I prefer the BVIs with Tortola to USVIs which are becoming increasingly more crime-ridden. I would suggest looking into a Southern Caribbean itinerary on another cruise line. Curacao and Aruba are nice to see as is St. Barth's and Barbados we found to be interesting. Stay away from Colon, Panama and Puerto Limon, Costa Rica which are horrible. You will probably need to do a longer voyage and leave from a port deep in the Caribbean. Consider Windstar, Oceania, Carnival (it's not as bad as the bashers make it out to be IMHO), or some small ship lines. Depending on when you want to sail, you can get some good bargains. Remember that the so-called luxury line fares tend to be more inclusive so the price may not be that bad. Good luck.

another cruise.

What are your thoughts ?

There isn't a lot to do in Grand Turk. Carnival has built a pool at the port with a Margaritaville and has lounges on the beach. It's like a private island without the lunch. It's a relaxing beach day.

I don't think any ships not owned by Carnival (Carnival, Princess, and HAL) stop there.

I hate to be a Debbie Downer (I apologize if I offend anyone named Debbie) but I have been to 90% of the islands and I find them all to be pretty much the same. Even the made-up ports such as Riviera Maya offer beaches, drinks with umbrellas, and occasional ruins. I prefer the BVIs with Tortola to USVIs which are becoming increasingly more crime-ridden. I would suggest looking into a Southern Caribbean itinerary on another cruise line. Curacao and Aruba are nice to see as is St. Barth's and Barbados we found to be interesting. Stay away from Colon, Panama and Puerto Limon, Costa Rica which are horrible. You will probably need to do a longer voyage and leave from a port deep in the Caribbean. Consider Windstar, Oceania, Carnival (it's not as bad as the bashers make it out to be IMHO), or some small ship lines. Depending on when you want to sail, you can get some good bargains. Remember that the so-called luxury line fares tend to be more inclusive so the price may not be that bad. Good luck.

Why would you want to stay away from Panama or Costa Rica :eek:? We visited the Panama Canal from Colon, both old and new locks, a magnificent feat of engineering - what's not to enjoy :confused:? Additionally, we saw some splendid wildlife in Puerto Limon, including sloths ;). Belize was also a fabulous day of ruins and wildlife, a jumping dolphin in the river topped off a fantastic river boat journey.

If you're referring just to the port areas, then we tend to explore further afield when visiting each port as we may never return. You could say the same at some of the European ports where the ships dock: industrial working ports that require you to travel in order to enjoy their delights :).

I think the OP is stating it would be nice for X to mix it up a little; well that would apply to most of their itineraries, irrespective of where in the world you may cruise ;).

Why would you want to stay away from Panama or Costa Rica :eek:? We visited the Panama Canal from Colon, both old and new locks, a magnificent feat of engineering - what's not to enjoy :confused:? Additionally, we saw some splendid wildlife in Puerto Limon, including sloths ;). Belize was also a fabulous day of ruins and wildlife, a jumping dolphin in the river topped off a fantastic river boat journey.

If you're referring just to the port areas, then we tend to explore further afield when visiting each port as we may never return. You could say the same at some of the European ports where the ships dock: industrial working ports that require you to travel in order to enjoy their delights :).

I think the OP is stating it would be nice for X to mix it up a little; well that would apply to most of their itineraries, irrespective of where in the world you may cruise ;).

Many places are best to visit land based, certainly Panama and Costa Rica, you simply can't see the better parts on a day trip from Colon or Puerto Limon. For Panama, you'd want to go to San Blas or Bocas del Toro. For Costa Rica, the west coast is much nicer or inland areas, one is reachable though from Puerto Limon and that's the Guayabo National Monument, its the ruins of a pre-colombian city, and there's some other national parks in the area. The larger islands like Dominica can't be seen in a few hours, Dominica requires at least a week, getting around is slow because roads are in poor condition but its a gorgeous island with many natural wonders, its a hiker's paradise.

Many places are best to visit land based, certainly Panama and Costa Rica, you simply can't see the better parts on a day trip from Colon or Puerto Limon. For Panama, you'd want to go to San Blas or Bocas del Toro. For Costa Rica, the west coast is much nicer or inland areas, one is reachable though from Puerto Limon and that's the Guayabo National Monument, its the ruins of a pre-colombian city, and there's some other national parks in the area. The larger islands like Dominica can't be seen in a few hours, Dominica requires at least a week, getting around is slow because roads are in poor condition but its a gorgeous island with many natural wonders, its a hiker's paradise.

I was actually replying to a post that advised not visiting these places because they were 'horrible', and there's your post stating you need more than a day visit :confused:. Just shows how people's opinions can differ greatly ;).

I was actually replying to a post that advised not visiting these places because they were 'horrible', and there's your post stating you need more than a day visit :confused:. Just shows how people's opinions can differ greatly ;).

Yes I know and the reason bhpman called them 'horrible' is because they are, and you need to travel a good distance for points of interest with limited time. You seem happy as a clam with whatever you find nearby, and that's great, but just pointing out what you could be seeing and experiencing with more time. Absolutely, people's opinions differ greatly! Happy travels :)

Every place can be best to visit by more than a day trip.

Having lived on my sailboat throughout the Caribbean and many other places I'd argue the best way of visiting a new place it isn't by a land trip, but by immersing yourself into it. Try it on your own yacht, staying for months when you feel like it.

It's not the same as a cruise is it? So what. :cool:

358qade.jpg

Edited by A Sixth?

Yes I know and the reason bhpman called them 'horrible' is because they are, and you need to travel a good distance. You seem happy as a clam with whatever you find nearby

Now I'm totally confused :confused:! I said that we thoroughly enjoyed our visit to the Panama Canal from Colon, and yet I'm 'happy as a clam' at what I find nearby :eek:. I'm sure many thousands of people find the Panama Canal locks interesting, but hey, sounds like I'm in the minority :rolleyes:. As I said in my post, if one is referring to the port areas alone, then there are many that are not too appealing, even in Europe.

FWIW, we're visiting Asia very shortly and most of the places of interest are at least 90 minutes away from the ports - guess I'd better cancel all of our private excursions if I obviously only look at nearby places :rolleyes:.

Edited by villauk