Using iphone 6 camera on cruise

Jagggg

I was planning on bringing a separate camera for pics on the ship, however some recent posters indicated that their iphone 6 cameras photos where great. New to this technology world, so if I want to use my iphone camera, do I have my iphone in airplane mode. I don't want to get any roaming charges. Sorry if this sounds so basic, but I just went from a flip phone to an iphone 6. Thanks.

Yes, you want to keep it on airplane mode. If you take it off, roaming charges apply. Still can take great pictures. I have a 6 plus and the pictures from my cruise were amazing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just got my 6+ 5 days ago. :)

I have 4 friends who have/will cruise with theirs. All of them said the camera is great, and none of them took their cameras.

I'm leaving in 6 days, and I'm only taking the 6+.

If you are near a tower ie: port, you shouldn't have roaming charges, depending on your location. I am not certain, but I think my roaming charges were for sending pix to Facebook.

Patti

I just returned from a 15 day voyage to Hawaii. I reluctantly did not take my laptop along. These are my comments regarding traveling with a iPhone only:

1. My iPhone notified me toward the end of the trip that I was running out of memory. Yes, I have too many apps....and I had to constantly edit iPhotos (or removing apps) to make room. I ended up using my iPad for a few video shots.

2. My iPhone took horrible shots in the Piazza (very poor lighting used by the ship). Many frames had a bad reddish tint. I "fixed" it when I came home by going into the iPhoto's app, selecting edit, and changing the settings. Then used black and white mode and it turned out passible.

3. Yes, keep your iPhone on airplane mode.

4. Please be aware of your flash setting, especially in the theater. Videos are a no-no due to copyright laws.

5. Learn how to "focus" your main subject to avoid it being in the shadows of background lighting.

6. There are lots of free apps to help you with a sundry of things. I have one for rapid shots, one of a grid, one to help me level a picture, and the list goes on. None of which I know how to use.

Have fun. The iPhone camera is much better than any of my point and shoot cameras.

Edited by cr8tiv1

I was on the same cruise to HI. I brought both my good Sony camera and my iPhone 6+. My first tour, which was a private tour of the craters, Thurston lava tube, etc, I used both. I quickly discovered that my iPhone 6+ was taking MUCH better photos than my camera, particularly in low light conditions. I didn't bring my camera on my other tours, just my iPhone 6+.

FYI, the 6+ has a better camera than the the 6. There's a difference. Plus, the 6 is much better than the 5. The iPhone you have can make a big difference in your decision. I'm not planning on bringing my camera on future cruises.

We spent over three months in French Polynesia and used only our iPhone cameras (6 in my case; 6+ for DH). We took thousands of photos and were generally very pleased. You certainly can't beat using an iPhone as a camera for ease and convenience!

Just keep your phone in Airplane Mode ALWAYS when you're outside your service area and you'll be fine.

Sometimes, only a panorama photo will do...

blogger-image-441715417.jpg

Just got my 6+ 5 days ago. :)

I have 4 friends who have/will cruise with theirs. All of them said the camera is great, and none of them took their cameras.

I'm leaving in 6 days, and I'm only taking the 6+.

If you are near a tower ie: port, you shouldn't have roaming charges, depending on your location. I am not certain, but I think my roaming charges were for sending pix to Facebook.

Patti

Pat, I'm waiting for Apple to let me upgrade my present phone (from a 5s) to a 6 (or a 6+). I'm just not sure which one I'll get. I keep intending to go to the local Apple store to see just how much bigger each of the new phones are, compared to the 5.

Yes the IPhone 6 does take great photos. I have a Nikon SLR and feel that the IPhone photos are just as good. Remember that if you shoot video it takes lots of memory. That's why I purchased the 128 gig model. Here's another thing that you can do with memory. If you have a labtop you can attach your IPhone to your laptop and transfer the photos there with your charging cable and the USD connection on your laptop or if you have a wi/fi connection upload them to a sight like photo bucket.

One thing that I use the IPhone for is in the panoramic mode for great wide angle photos.

image.jpg3_zpsblpdzg7m.jpg

Here's a photo taken with the Pano mode.

image.jpg1_zpsmihtlm69.jpg

The same photo without Pano mode.

Tom:)

Will that be all you use on your next land trip to Africa?
No, but it was amazing how much better the photos were with the 6+ vs. the Sony under the exact same conditions. Night and day, and I didn't have to fuss or change settings to see if I could get a better shot. Even at night, all I had to do was to tap where I wanted the focus and black turned into a clear photo plus I could take a burst of photos by just holding my finger on the "button." I bought a Princess bag that's small, light, and perfect for carrying the 6+ as a camera bag. It's supposed to be for money, tickets, etc. so I plan to bring that. I have six months to decide what to do and bring. :) Got my air settled today. We fly through Atlanta this time instead of Heathrow. Edited by Pam in CA

Here's a tip for a good travel bag. It's called the MINI COMMUTER MESSENGER BAG. More info at http://www.rickshawbags.com/mini-commuter-messenger-bag.html#color=2668. It's water proof and is great for camera gear and other items. Lots of storage pockets. Remember there made right here in San Francisco and if you live in the Bay Area you can go directly to there store and will also see all of there sowing equipment. They will also make anything custom to order. Here's more info.

JOIN OUR COMMUNITY FREE SHIPPING

MINI COMMUTER MESSENGER BAG

$100 SHIPS IN 10-12 DAYS

• Waterproof, wipe-clean liner

• Sized for an iPad, netbook or DSLR and lens

• Exclusive magnetic silencer, velcro and clip shut closure

• Shoulder strap pad

• Zip shut front organizer w/zip close slash pocket

• Dimensions: 11”W x 7”H x 4”D

• More features under the story tab!

Our Mini Commuter messenger bag is the perfect companion for the “digital minimalist”. Each bag is built-to-order in the USA, in our own factory in San Francisco

About Mini Commuter:

Introducing the Rickshaw Mini Commuter messenger bag for iPad, SLR camera or more. The Mini packs a punch at nearly half the size of its full-size cousins, and still boasts more organization thank your average full-sized bag. Sized perfectly for iPads, netbooks, e-readers, Moleskine journals (of course) and all of your other gadgets and personal effects. Best of all it fits perfectly in your bike basket for timely urban travel.

The Mini has all of the great features of the Commuter 2.0 including: waterproof wipe-clean liner, roomy front zipper pocket, quick access exterior organizer pocket, magnetic Velcro silencer, comfy handle and shoulder strap pad.

About Design:

We pride ourselves on following our three F's of design, Form Function and Footprint, to craft a quality product with urban commuting in mind. Next time you're in town, we invite you to come take a tour of our San Francisco factory to see where each and every bag is made-to-order.

More Features:

• Stand up design

• Padded stand-up handle

• Space for pens, ID, phone and keys

• Rear organizational pocket

• Perfect size for bike baskets

Weight: 2.0 lbs

Our solids collection is made with Cordura™ brand nylon, the classic “backpack” fabric, used for durable packs and messenger bags for over thirty years. The fabric is woven in the United States, and each commuter bag is assembled when you order it in our San Francisco shop.

Tom:)

Pat, I'm waiting for Apple to let me upgrade my present phone (from a 5s) to a 6 (or a 6+). I'm just not sure which one I'll get. I keep intending to go to the local Apple store to see just how much bigger each of the new phones are, compared to the 5.
I didn't notice that much of a difference in size between the two and felt just as comfortable holding the 6+ as the 6. And I've got small hands. However, when I now pick up and hold a 5, I think: "OMG! How did I stand the small screen?"

I forgot to pack my 'point and shoot' digital camera for our last cruise so, rather than buy another camera onboard, I just used the camera on my iPod Touch. The results were pretty good, and I didn't have to worry about roaming charges!

I have an iPhone 5s now, and I don't plan on taking a seperate camera on our next cruise. I'll just download all my photos on to my laptop before I leave so that there is plenty of room for more :-)

I used Google's Photosphere App on my iPhone 6 Plus on our TA last October to take Panorama photos. Here is a link to one I took in Santiago de Compostela, A Coruña, Spain

https://www.google.com/maps/views/view/109425568510881595590/gphoto/6075220329325890178?utm_source=weekly&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=views_milestone_notification&utm_content=thumb&gl=us&heading=18&pitch=90&fovy=75

I didn't notice that much of a difference in size between the two and felt just as comfortable holding the 6+ as the 6. And I've got small hands. However, when I now pick up and hold a 5, I think: "OMG! How did I stand the small screen?"

Thanks Pam. We were/are able to stand that small screen because that was what was available on Apple's phones. I really do need to get over to the Apple store to wrap my (head) hands around the new phones so I can make a decision.

From the looks of the photos here I'll be tempted to leave my DSLR home for my next cruise.

I love having my iphone with me in addition to my DSLR, especially when I have a telephoto on my DSLR. I use the iphone for wide shots (and video) and I use my DSLR for zoomed shots.

In addition, nothing beats the phone/camera in terms of ease of sharing.

FYI, the 6+ has a better camera than the the 6. There's a difference. Plus, the 6 is much better than the 5. The iPhone you have can make a big difference in your decision. I'm not planning on bringing my camera on future cruises.

My 5 camera was awful. I am so excited to see how well the 6+ does.

Treven the 6's are much bigger than the 5's, but I don't see well, so I needed a bigger screen. I got the 6+ because my friends--Hi Pam--all told me they liked it better. I, too, was waiting for my contract to end. :)

Patti

I store all my photos on my phone from when my mum was a baby! And shes almost 88. I have a lot of storage. These were taken from the iphone 5. Just randoms.

ca82f1e49b223db84742e926a644022e.jpg

68cfa059c4c21679bba734384b8fa6ee.jpg

ca328f7817b6cee1f2fa989c8dd343ec.jpg

10689265e01fd931624b1041f465f11c.jpg

e5025b5eb82acba756a65250385e4f56.jpg

Edited by Pushka

I was planning on bringing a separate camera for pics on the ship, however some recent posters indicated that their iphone 6 cameras photos where great. New to this technology world, so if I want to use my iphone camera, do I have my iphone in airplane mode. I don't want to get any roaming charges. Sorry if this sounds so basic, but I just went from a flip phone to an iphone 6. Thanks.

The iPhone6 and 6 plus are the latest electronics and will sell likely 200 million units. That is a lot of volume to develop great sensor, lense and processing. The plus also has stanbilzation for better low light. Compared to a p&s from two years ago it will be as good to better and you can upload and share pretty easy. Nice plus it is with you and most people take so many pictures with it they are pretty good while a p&s or DSLR most don't use them often enough to get the best out of them.

But compared to a DSLR or the latest mirrorless they still can't compare when you need to zoom in or take fast action shots. They are like the 110 cameras from decades ago, good enough for memories :D

My family also uses the iPhone for 90% plus of our snap shots for memories but serious shooting the best images still come from a dedicated camera

Edited by chipmaster