Would you buy pictures if they were cheaper?

kona_wahine

They are overpriced. And they throw so many away. Such a waste. Still, if I like one enough, I'll bite and buy it.

I wonder what the percentage they throw away is. 95%? We bought one in January. Probably had 15 to 20 to pick from. I would have bought more if they were even $10 a sheet. I think I paid $25.

I wonder what the percentage they throw away is. 95%? We bought one in January. Probably had 15 to 20 to pick from. I would have bought more if they were even $10 a sheet. I think I paid $25.

I asked this just last week on the Pride and was told that they sell around 20 percent on a bad week and near 30 percent is a great week. My wife has always been upset by the way they handle photos and would be more than happy to buy them all for a reasonable all inclusive price, but 20 a pic means we usually only buy a couple at best. I would also prefer them in digital format. I would pay 300 or so for the promise of every image on a flash drive. Bottomless Pixels!

I really hate the waste of printing them all. The same photographer told me that electronic kiosks had been tested by carnival and that sales declined and the project was abandoned.

If you think Carnival's prices are high, go to a professional photographer and see what they charge. Most of them will charge up to $100 just for the sitting, then any prints are above and beyond that. When our boys were little, we spent a fortune on "packages" from Sears, Olan Mills, etc.

If you think Carnival's prices are high, go to a professional photographer and see what they charge. Most of them will charge up to $100 just for the sitting, then any prints are above and beyond that. When our boys were little, we spent a fortune on "packages" from Sears, Olan Mills, etc.

Yep, the pictures are very reasonably priced compared to a professional. You get as many poses as you'd like and get to choose which ones to buy. CCL's prices are close to what I recall paying with NCL also.

Another consideration, since the photography is done by another company I wonder how much control CCL has over the price to begin with.

I too think the prices are too high and would buy more if the prices were cut in half. There is a huge waste of materials by printing all the pictures and then having them tossed. We did buy some on a couple of cruises since we had some left over OBC. Yes, the pictures are good, but not worth the price that Carnival charges. Plus, I am sure they would sell a LOT more if they dropped the prices. Just my 2 cents.

Steve

I thought there was a process you could view the digital pictures on your tv screen in your cabin...select and have it charged on your S&S account and print out at the kiosh across from the purser desk

Was I dreaming this or one too many DOTD:confused:

Four cruises and we have only gotten one photo. We used to run up to at least go see them, but these days my husband usually walks us right on past the photographers and we rarely even take the time to go look any more. Now if the prices were lower.. we probably would be more interested.

Of course. Some of the pictures are spontaneous and good.

But for the prices, I just have to decline.

I stopped buying the smaller sizes, two cruises ago

when Pixels shot the prices thru the roof! :eek:

8 x 10s were always beyond both my need and value-range

and now the smaller sizes are too!

I just walk past the photographers like they aren't even there

particularly on the gangway!

Pixels have now priced all photo sizes out of my value-range.

Edited by Aplmac

We almost always get the "embarking" photos but other then that pass them by. It is just too expensive. But that being said. I am sure the bean counters at carnival know exactly what price point and margin to sell them at.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Marcie and Jay

Five kiddos ages 2-15

Grand Rapids,

Michigan

Carnival fascination 2001

Disney fantasy 2011

RCCL Allure of the Seas 2013

Carnival charges so much for the pictures they print. Seems like they could charge less and make more.

As long as there's supply and demand, including printing cost paper and labor, and as long as they are selling, I don't think prices will come down.

And I don't think even if they pay technology for kiosks, etc, I'm not sure a switch would bring them down either. We buy way too many, but usually only the good ones. And still enjoy looking at them from time to time.

We don't even look at the pic's anymore, because someone in my family (hope she doesn't read this :D) always sees some she likes and wants to buy them.

Since I will not pay that much money for a picture, one of us will not get what they want. So we've decided to simply stay away from the gallery and go about our business.

Now, if the pic's were $10 each, I'd definitely acquiesce and buy some on each cruise.

Jenna, I do agree that most of the pictures that are taken are "cheesy", my wife and I have actually gotten some very good pictures. On the formal nights, if you go to the spots when it is quiet, you can get some very nice poses. On one of our cruises, we had this occur and the photographer took some extra time with us, taking more than the normal group of pictures or poses. We actually did end up getting a couple of them.

Steve