When Lumina is closed for lunch?

thepoint

On previous cruises Lumina was closed for lunch on port days. We had the option of eating in Bistro on Five (which is now Sushi). Is Lumina still closed on port days and what is the option for lunch? I am hoping it is something other than sushi. Thank you.

On port days the only eating venues open are the ocean view cafe, mast bar grill and Aqua spa cafe. Lumanie, the MDR, sushi and all other restaurants are all closed. Sushi opens at 3pm on port days. Room service is also available.

We used room service for a few lunches on our last cruise. Our excursions had been early morning after pastries and coffee for breakfast and we were back on the ship lunchtime...

We had fabulous views from our balcony over the Fjords so it seemed a shame not to enjoy. I also had some mobility issues which made Oceanview not an easy choice. We were pleasantly surprised by the standard all day menu....Two soups (one a daily special), salads, club sandwiches, burgers, pizza....OK nothing gourmet but all arrived hot, promptly and filled a hole!

We are not big lunchtime eaters. We do tend to find the Luminae lunch menu too much when we are wanting to enjoy a meal later. Even when it is open we will only tend to want a soup and salad. Prior to this cruise an Oceanview soup and mixed salad and nibbles has always seen us through. After seeing how easy room service was, however, I think we may use it more often for a light lunch...

Celebrity really need to upgrade their suite package. On Cunard we were in the cheapest Princess suite, the restaurant was open for breakfast, lunch and dinner EVERY day, and the table was yours for the duration, and you could turn up anytime during opening hours.

And the food and service were excellent!

Celebrity really need to upgrade their suite package. On Cunard we were in the cheapest Princess suite, the restaurant was open for breakfast, lunch and dinner EVERY day, and the table was yours for the duration, and you could turn up anytime during opening hours.

When Luminae was first announced as being open for 'breakfast, lunch and dinner' we were amongst the suite guests who felt a little cheated by the change to 'brunches' some days and then closed for lunch port days...

Experience has changed our opinion, however....We will use Luminae for breakfast a couple of times a cruise...on other mornings we will have pastry and coffee delivered or full breakfast delivered....lunch to us is a quick bite, we don't want to sit and wait for service...what you say Cunard offer would not particularly tempt us...

I do wish post cruise surveys were more detailed, however, as we would welcome the opportunity to express the changes we feel might be welcomed including...

Luminae opening later for breakfast on sea days.

Luminae evening menu review, keep popular items but try some new things.

An extended room service menu for suites.

Even on NCL, suite passengers can have breakfast or lunch in a pre-determined restaurant everyday of the cruise.

Cunard and Celebrity are very different ion many different ways. Price and flexibility being two of them. Having the restaurants closed on port days is a minor difference. Further, assigned seating is what you have if you choose to have it. If not, then you may choose to have more flexibility. There is no reason whatever for Cunard and Celebrity to be the same, suites or not.

On Cunard all the dining rooms are open for lunch on port days, not just Princess and Queens grills :)

I think one important difference is luminae was added later and it is probably not large enough to accommodate all suite guests at once, whereas in the Grills you have an allocated seat for the duration of the cruise.

If I could ever afford a suite I would utilize the Butler and have room service. Why not??? We use it in the cheap seats and I am sure that the menu is so much better in a suite.

There is dining in the ports.

MDR

Hog trough 🐷 (buffet)

Spa cafe

Mast grill for burgers, fries, brats and etc

Liquid bread at most bars (beer 🍺)

Sweet treats at Cafe al Bacio

happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌞

If I could ever afford a suite I would utilize the Butler and have room service. Why not??? We use it in the cheap seats and I am sure that the menu is so much better in a suite.

MDR

Hog trough (buffet)

Spa cafe

Liquid bread at most bars (beer )

happy cruising

MDR is also closed on port days.

We had a useless butler who asked me to call room service instead of bothering him. Room service staff brought us the only room service meal that we ordered during our 16-night cruise. He did nothing. Another guest told him to bring him morning coffee each morning, he did it only twice, each time after the guest asked him to "do so" again. Never saw him other than saw him down the hallway occasionally. Michael's Club had a letter for me that was sitting there for 24 hours because the butler did not go there. I think he was asking to be out of a job by the end of the cruise... fortunately we were just not "butler" people and don't like to sit in our room. Our 1 room service meal was for my husband when he caught a cold.

It is interesting to compare the suite benefits on X to the MSC "Yacht Club" amenities. The problem with Celebrity is that they are trying to compete with the "ship within a ship" concept....but their ships do not have the space or design to handle it. Consider that on MSC (and also some NCL ships with their Haven concept) you have an entire section of the ship, including lounges, bars, pools, sun decks, and a real private dining room...dedicated to just those suites (or upscale cabins). On many MSC ships one could spend nearly their entire cruise in the Yacht Club section of the ship (where they even have a dedicated elevator). While Celebrity does have Michael's....that is not even in the same league. I should also mention that the MSC Yacht Club is generally a lot less money (per passenger day).

Hank

MDR

Hog trough 🐷 (buffet)

Spa cafe

Liquid bread at most bars (beer )

happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌞

Actually the buffet is very nice on port days since most people are off the ship....Not the same as embarkation day.

Somehow I got the impression that MSC was below Celebrity in positive reviews. I guess I need to revisit all that. Perhaps I am mistaken.

It is interesting to compare the suite benefits on X to the MSC "Yacht Club" amenities. ship (where they even have a dedicated elevator). While Celebrity does have Michael's....that is not even in the same league. I should also mention that the MSC Yacht Club is generally a lot less money (per passenger day).

Hank

If the ship will be sailing at 1:00PM, would this be considered a port day, thus Luminae would be closed? This will be occurring two times on our upcoming cruise. Also, X's website says the Tuscan Grille is open for lunch. Does that mean every day, or would TG be closed on port days too?

If the ship will be sailing at 1:00PM, would this be considered a port day, thus Luminae would be closed? This will be occurring two times on our upcoming cruise. Also, X's website says the Tuscan Grille is open for lunch. Does that mean every day, or would TG be closed on port days too?

In our experience Luminae would be closed and Tuscan would be open one or more sea days...If you are in contact with the shoreside concierge pre cruise ask for clarification, if not speak to your butler on boarding...

We have been on cruises where the Specialities have taken turns in opening on sea days and also experienced them offering a 'progressive' lunch experience where you had a flavour of each (starter in one, mains in the next....).

As we are light lunch eaters can't comment on the quality of lunchtime speciality dining...we have never used it.

Somehow I got the impression that MSC was below Celebrity in positive reviews. I guess I need to revisit all that. Perhaps I am mistaken.

We had the same impression until we started doing some serious research. While it is true that MSC does not always get great reviews (nether does X these days) it is also true that the MSC Yacht Club (their ship within a ship class) gets excellent reviews. In fact there are some posts from those who have compared doing a Celebrity Suite with a MSC Yacht Club Cabin...and they said the Yacht Club was superior because of the great service and many benefits.

Hank

MDR is also closed on port days.

We had a useless butler who asked me to call room service instead of bothering him. Room service staff brought us the only room service meal that we ordered during our 16-night cruise. He did nothing. Another guest told him to bring him morning coffee each morning, he did it only twice, each time after the guest asked him to "do so" again. Never saw him other than saw him down the hallway occasionally. Michael's Club had a letter for me that was sitting there for 24 hours because the butler did not go there. I think he was asking to be out of a job by the end of the cruise... fortunately we were just not "butler" people and don't like to sit in our room. Our 1 room service meal was for my husband when he caught a cold.

I bet he was present on the last day for looking for his parting gift and I would have said we looked for your service you can look for your TIP. I would also remove it from the auto gratuities and told them why.

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌞

We have sailed celebrity, Cunard and msc. Cunard and msc have totally separate areas of the ship for suite guests which is a fabulous bonus. The food choices on Cunard was much diminished (imo) last cruise the entertainment is dire and the drinks prices are ridiculous. The grills lounge charge for drinks unlike Michaels. Msc is no where near celebrity suites (again in mo) luminae isn't open on port days and there is no separate deck area but for us it still outweigh the other 2 by a mile

We have sailed celebrity, Cunard and msc. Cunard and msc have totally separate areas of the ship for suite guests which is a fabulous bonus. The food choices on Cunard was much diminished (imo) last cruise the entertainment is dire and the drinks prices are ridiculous. The grills lounge charge for drinks unlike Michaels. Msc is no where near celebrity suites (again in mo) luminae isn't open on port days and there is no separate deck area but for us it still outweigh the other 2 by a mile

On Cunard in the Grill class, all drinks are included up to the price of $12. This included all but a few specialty drinks in the Commodore Club. As for the menu, it is just a suggestion, you can order almost anything and they will provide it. Looking at the drink prices, they were much less than Celebrity. Cunard does not sell drink packages so they are more sensitive to drink pricing. Everyone pays by the drink unless you are in a

Suite.