Camera recommendations for Alaska cruise?

Hi all,

I hope it's ok to post this question on this board.

We are in dire need of a good camera for our bucket list Solstice cruise to Alaska in a few weeks.

Ideally something smaller and easy to work. I'm technically challenged. Also, not too terribly expensive would be great.

Suggestions?

Thank you!

Hi all,

I hope it's ok to post this question on this board.

We are in dire need of a good camera for our bucket list Solstice cruise to Alaska in a few weeks.

Ideally something smaller and easy to work. I'm technically challenged. Also, not too terribly expensive would be great.

Suggestions?

Thank you!

We got an Olympus waterproof camera while on a cruise a while back. It has come in handy for those Alaskan rainy days. However, it doesn't have a very strong zoom ... which is what you really want for Alaska.

We got a small (under $200) canon that we picked up at one of the big box stores. I love this camera. Easy to use, not pricey and takes great pictures.

Of note, they have cameras you can purchase onboard and with the no tax, they really aren't a bad price. This is how we bought the waterproof / shockproof Olympus mentioned above. You may save $20 (or maybe more) looking for a great special but what I have found with the photo shop onboard, they are really helpful and help you find what is right for you and then actually show you how to use it. Well, maybe we lucked out but were impressed. Saw the same camera in a warehouse store ... only about $10 less and no individualized help. If you purchase one at the beginning of your cruise, you can go back during the cruise with your questions.

Just a thought....but in answer to your question, just love my cannon.

You will want to zoom in really close on wildlife -- sometimes from the ship -- so you need a really long zoom with image stabilization. But if you're not a gung-ho photography nut you don't want an SLR (heavy) with interchangeable lenses (expensive and heavy). So the category to focus on is called "superzoom." Most manufacturers have one, but my favorite is the Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200. It is small(ish), light, packs a fantastic lens by Leica, and takes great pictures.

.............. and it's got a viewfinder so you don't have to try and see the screen in sunlight :) :)

I have the older Lumix DMC-ZS7 and it's been a great buy (bought it for Alaska in 2010), those Leica lenses are superb.

You will want to zoom in really close on wildlife -- sometimes from the ship -- so you need a really long zoom with image stabilization. But if you're not a gung-ho photography nut you don't want an SLR (heavy) with interchangeable lenses (expensive and heavy). So the category to focus on is called "superzoom." Most manufacturers have one, but my favorite is the Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200. It is small(ish), light, packs a fantastic lens by Leica, and takes great pictures.

This is what I have purchased and love it.

Go to a good photography store, tell them what you are looking for and try different models in the store. Expert advice is more likely to provide you with a camera you'll be pleased with, and the opportunity to actually handle different models, make adjustments and get a proper feel for the camera is well worth the time and effort. This is doubly important if you are technically challenged. Within a price range and style of camera, features and quality tend to be quite similar, but little things can help make using the camera a pleasure.

Practise and knowing how to use your camera properly will make a far greater impact on the results that choosing this Canon over that Panasonic. Try to make your purchase well in advance of your cruise and take lots and lots of photos under different lighting conditions, inside and out. Take shots of scenery, buildings, people. Look at them with a critical eye to see what is pleasing to you and what isn't. Ask yourself why, what did you do for this shot that made it a great one while another just didn't look at all as you imagined it would.

Hi all, I hope it's ok to post this question on this board. We are in dire need of a good camera for our bucket list Solstice cruise to Alaska in a few weeks. Ideally something smaller and easy to work. I'm technically challenged. Also, not too terribly expensive would be great. Suggestions? Thank you!

Your very good posting does raise lots of questions. Yes, posting on the photo board would be good. BUT, there, like here, you need to tell us much, much more. How "good" is good enough? Define your cost/budget range? How small/compact of a camera are you seeking?

AND, you did not bring up the questions about lenses and/or what you like to do with your pictures. Just to show a few friends and family? Posting on the web? Make a book about your travel? For enlarging and framing on your walls?

The good news is that most of the more "advanced" and technical camera can easily be used in auto or program setting to make things very easy and quick.

On the camera, I upgraded to a Nikon D7100 with an 18-140mm VR lens for our Australia-NZ adventure on the Solstice. It is probably much more camera than what you need, but it is not at the top-pro, high-cost levels. But, just like with an artist or cook, it is not always the quality of the paint brush or pots and pans that make the difference. It's also the skill, attention to detail and interest of the camera user. I had been using a Nikon D3100 camera that is now down to less than $300 for that body with a good and versatile 18-55mm lens. With a longer lens that would be nice for Alaska and wildlife, you might want to add their 55-200mm or 55-300mm lens.

The honest truth? I have used Nikon cameras and lenses for 45+ years. They are very good. But, Canon, etc., also make very good cameras and lenses. Digital camera have advanced so much in the past five years that it is amazing. Plus, many cameras, like mine shoot HD video, too! Tell us more about your specific needs. Lots of great options!! Keep asking good questions.

Below is my link for much more about the Solstice if you have not yet been on the Celebrity Solstice-class ships. Lots of pictures included.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a “Solstice: Visuals, Highlights Shared!” summary from two different adventures on this ship with many pictures and other details on its many options. This includes our recent Australia to New Zealand sailing. Check it out, including these recent updates, at:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1803477

Now at 32,641 views for this posting.

Take a look at the Panasonic FZ70. Internet prices are $220 to $300 NEW. I have this camera and for the price and range does a great job. This camera goes out to 1200mm were the Fz200 (also have) is only to 600mm. Take a look here

Youtube reviews on the Fz70.

Up to 1200mm is great for wildlife, also look at Panasonics review on this camera, but their price of $300 is to high here ---

http://shop.panasonic.com/cameras-and-camcorders/cameras/lumix-point-and-shoot-cameras/DMC-FZ70K.html?sc_mc=sem_google-pla_cov_imaging-camera_pla_product&kpid=DMC-FZ70K

Also you can do a search on any camera and get good info from other people, go to Preview.com and do a search in the forum (pick your brand)

Good Luck and enjoy your Cruise

Tom :cool:

I used a Canon SX280 earlier this month in Alaska! The 20x zoom was incredible for capturing wildlife (especially in combination with the burst mode!). My pictures came out looking fantastic!

It also has a built in GPS for tracking where you took the photos, wifi for transferring the pictures to your phone for easy posting on social media while away, and many other features!

Best of all, it's quite small!!! Easy to throw in a small purse, etc. I purchased mine 2 years ago so there may be newer versions out by now (and this one has likely dropped in price since then). I also took a waterproof digital camera but only used it once and the pictures weren't nearly as nice.

Most importantly, make sure to purchase extra batteries for your camera, and extra memory cards!!!!