What do you put on Posters for Panama Canal Cruisers

kim.elniski

Hi.

We are going on the Coral Princess on Monday, Sept. 21 from San Francisco to Ft. Lauderdale. Would love some ideas of things to put on my poster we are going to hang over our balcony. Also, what are the dimensions of a regular balcony so I know how big to make the poster?

Thanks for all the suggestions. Can't wait to get on the boat!

Kim from Edmonton, Canada

Hi.

We are going on the Coral Princess on Monday, Sept. 21 from San Francisco to Ft. Lauderdale. Would love some ideas of things to put on my poster we are going to hang over our balcony. Also, what are the dimensions of a regular balcony so I know how big to make the poster?

Thanks for all the suggestions. Can't wait to get on the boat!

Kim from Edmonton, Canada

Please don't even think about trying to do this - soooo low rent.

Edited by Flatbush Flyer

Wait, people do it all the time when going through the canal, they even have banner making classes on Panama Canal cruises! The cruise lines take pictures of your banners from the canal!

Excuse me: Soooo "organized" low rent. Yet another reason to avoid Princess.

Really? We will be holding the signs. I've seen lots of pictures holding signs. Nothing low "rent" about it. It's actually a nice way to say hi to the people of Panama. Don't reply if you don't have a positive reply.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Really? We will be holding the signs. I've seen lots of pictures holding signs. Nothing low "rent" about it. It's actually a nice way to say hi to the people of Panama. Don't reply if you don't have a positive reply.

Thanks

Sorry, that isn't how it works. You ask a question, people are allowed to comment. You may not like the answers, that is also allowed. But you don't get to tell people how to reply. That is called censorship.

By the, when you get on the ship, the will be many places where you will be reminded that nothing is to be allowed to go over the side. So, doing anything that raises that possibility is likely not allowed. Just because you see pics of people holding that doesn't mean it is endorsed by the cruise line. We see videos of people doing unwise things every day on the news, youtube, etc. That doesn't mean those things are approved or wise.

Thanks

Here's both a constructively critical AND positive reply:

The last thing many of the people of Panama need is the stereotypical "ugly American" waving signs at them, some of which will, no doubt, end up dumped or lost overboard and into their waterway. And, because you've seen pix of it does not mean it is condoned or allowed by any particular cruise line. Think too about the needless waste you are creating in a space (a ship) where waste disposal is a prime consideration and challenge.

A better thing to do would be to connect with the Panama Consulate closest to you and ask about which legitimate charities you can contribute the money to that you'd have spent on the signs.

Here's my take....the cruise lines have "banner making activities" before heading through the canal.......if the folks that are along the Panama Canal don't want to see the signs, why do they come out and wave? We have friends that live in Panama and she told me everyone loves to go and wave at ALL ships, not just cruise ships.....this isn't about the rich American folks wasting their money on craft supplies....it's about someone doing something fun on their cruise.....jeez.

I can't believe that people can get the 'wrong end of the stick' when reading the original post! Make your sign to hold while you are going through the canal - and enjoy your cruise - it's fun!!!

Mainly because hey say they want to ang it on their balcony, nothing at all about holding it.

Hanging things on he balcony is a fire risk.

Wait, people do it all the time when going through the canal, they even have banner making classes on Panama Canal cruises! The cruise lines take pictures of your banners from the canal!

Yes, there is an area on the ship for making banners when doing Full Panama Canal transits. :D

LuLu

I have been on the Coral Princess for a partial Panama Canal cruise and will be on her again for the full transit so I do speak from experience.

On the Coral there was an area where they had supplies for people to make their signs. So having signs to "hold" up while going through the locks is allowed. Not only that, the folks from the ship's photo department video taped people and their signs, not only from the ship but also from shore. Of course you could buy the video of the transit through the locks later on........but the person with the best sign got a free video. So enjoy your sign, (and cruise) just remember to hold your sign, not hang it.

Don't let mean comments get you down, that's just the way some people are. :eek:

We are on cruise with you Kim.elniski. Signs Sounds like fun. Less than a month. Just ignore negativity. Giving correct advice is always appreciated by cruisers. But sarcasm is definitely "low rent" C u soon! Grams98