Shower curtain

runner2013

Hi all,

I need a little help/advice for my upcoming trip.

I have an oceanview room booked and the shower has the 'dreaded' curtain instead of a door. (Usually book balcony level but decided to change things up this time).

Could anyone who's had to deal with the curtain issue trying to touch you while you shower offer any tips on how to keep it as far away as possible?

I was thinking clothespins hanging off the bottom for added weight. Was also wondering if the bottom of the shower is magnetic and maybe I could get a few of those potato chip clip bags with magnets built in?

Any tips greatly appreciated:D

thanks

Patty

Hi all,

I have an oceanview room booked and the shower has the 'dreaded' curtain instead of a door. (Usually book balcony level but decided to change things up this time).

Could anyone who's had to deal with the curtain issue trying to touch you while you shower offer any tips on how to keep it as far away as possible?

I was thinking clothespins hanging off the bottom for added weight. Was also wondering if the bottom of the shower is magnetic and maybe I could get a few of those potato chip clip bags with magnets built in?

thanks

Patty

I doubt it will have magnets as it will be either tile or that plastic insert bathroom thingy they use today when retrofitting home bathrooms.

But your cloths pin idea sure makes sense.

Here are the things that seem to help:

1. Close the bathroom door.

2. If it is a hand held wand type shower, face the wand towards the back wall of the shower wall and turn on hot water to warm up the bathroom prior to turning the temperature down a bit and stepping into the shower.

3. When in the shower, leave the curtain slightly open at each edge to allow the warmer air to escape into the bathroom.

4. Take a somewhat cooler shower than normal - put the water on warm not hot.

There is also this product which is small enough to fit into your suitcase:

http://curtainbouncer.com

Here are the things that seem to help:

1. Close the bathroom door.

2. If it is a hand held wand type shower, face the wand towards the back wall of the shower wall and turn on hot water to warm up the bathroom prior to turning the temperature down a bit and stepping into the shower.

3. When in the shower, leave the curtain slightly open at each edge to allow the warmer air to escape into the bathroom.

4. Take a somewhat cooler shower than normal - put the water on warm not hot.

There is also this product which is small enough to fit into your suitcase:

http://curtainbouncer.com

Thanks for the info Suitetraveler... I love the idea of the curtain bouncer;)

We have a balcony on our cruise next month and, based on what I've read, we will also have to deal with the dreaded curtain. I'm not looking forward to showering with a curtain that has been sucked up to goodness-knows how many cruisers prior to me. ;)

It sounds strange, but we usually bring some assorted size metal binder clips along when we travel - they have worked great for everything from chip bag clips, to keeping curtains shut, to keeping cords out of the way. Thinking a few of the larger ones clipped on the bottom might be heavier than clothespins? Or maybe a small suction cup on either side of the opening with a string strung between them (although this will likely make the shower even smaller)?

I was also thinking of just buying a cheap plastic shower curtain at the dollar store and hanging that up inside the existing curtain. That way if I absolutely have to have something touch me at least I know it will be new and clean..:p

I would definitely do this, as well! Piece of mind = one less thing to worry about on vacation. :)

I was also thinking of just buying a cheap plastic shower curtain at the dollar store and hanging that up inside the existing curtain. That way if I absolutely have to have something touch me at least I know it will be new and clean..:p

This sounds like the opposite of what you should do, but it works. In addition to the advice from SuiteTraveller, point the shower head toward the curtain. It beats it back and not nearly as much water escapes as you would imagine.

I turn off signatures so do not know what ship you are on, but if the ship has showers available in the spa or gym area, outside of the spa pass area, go shower there. Usually the showers are much larger and you don't steam up your cabin. The large handicap showers usually have a seat which is great if you have balance issues at sea or need to shave your legs.

Hi all,

thanks

Patty

According to your signature, I assume you are talking about the Sky. We just got off of it a few weeks ago and ours had the magnets at the bottom of the shower curtain, but they really didn't do any good. I can't imagine taking clothespins will do any good either. They just simply wouldn't be heavy enough to hold down that curtain and it was kinda thick.

The one thing I did learn on this cruise was that if you leave just a bit open on each side of it, it releases some of the pressure inside the shower so that it doesn't pull it in as much. The other option (if possible) is to leave the bathroom door open too and it helps a lot.

(I had just gotten off the Sun the week prior to our Sky cruise and the Sun is the same way. The only difference was that the Sun has major PRESSURE which makes it even worse. The Sky didn't have as much pressure, so it was a little easier to manage). :)

Hi all,

thanks

Patty

This thread reminds me that I really don't know much ( yet ) about Ncl...

I sailed on the Star, the Gem, the Dawn and the Breakaway....I sailed in an inside, an oceanview, a balcony and a mini-suite....

I NEVER would have thought that some ships and/or stateroom category would have shower curtains.... :eek:

And I am with you on this one....I would buy a cheap 2$ liner at my local dollar store and install it on the actual curtain. I would use plastic clips to secure it at the top of the old liner...

Have a fun and safe cruise !

Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe the only ships in the NCL fleet which have the shower curtain instead of the glass doors are the Sky & the Sun, the old ladies of the fleet. I think you can tell which cabins have the curtains, they're round instead rectangular.

All newer ships, as far back as the Dawn & Jewel class have the glass doors. Even the Spirit has glass shower doors.

Enjoy your cruise.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe the only ships in the NCL fleet which have the shower curtain instead of the glass doors are the Sky & the Sun, the old ladies of the fleet. I think you can tell which cabins have the curtains, they're round instead rectangular.

All newer ships, as far back as the Dawn & Jewel class have the glass doors. Even the Spirit has glass shower doors.

Enjoy your cruise.

also the POA has a curtain (although the layout of the stateroom on NCL shows a door)--talk about bait and switch!

Edited by pizzalady1

Brilliant! Can't believe that I didn't think of that. :D Thanks!!!