Regent vs Oceania

forevertravel

I have never seen the staff "watch the food attentively" at la Veranda. Nor have I ever noticed anyone using a clean napkin to hold serving spoons etc. (Or any nearby supply of clean napkins for that matter).

It sounds like our experiences have been quite different. We are always amongst the first to arrive at La Veranda at lunch as my DH thinks that we need to eat lunch as soon as possible so we will be hungry for dinner (interesting way of thinking:-). Anyway, the food is always pristine, the plates full, hot, etc. I once dropped a small amount of food on another plate and it was immediately cleaned up. Since we are there so early there isn't much else for them to do other than watch the plates. This could account why our experience is so different. I do like the glove idea. IMO, the most important thing is to insure that people's fingers stay out of the food. This is a problem even on Oceania where I have watched people touch the breadsticks repeatedly with their hands before deciding which ones they wanted (yuck). There really should be a happy medium between the way it is done on Oceania and Regent.

There is no reason that a person should not dip their marshmallow into the chocolate fountain themselves or select a closed box of cereal. On the other side, we certainly do not mind having meat/fish/chicken carved and put onto our plate.

It is not only that people touch the breadsticks... I have seen people pick up "crudités" - carrot sticks etc - with their fingers and then put them back on the plate... UGH! Not to mention that people with colds etc use the same serving spoons as those without...who then get the colds. Or whatever. No need for more details.

Some people, even on a "luxury" line, do not know really basic food handling. Just watch next time. It can be quite disgusting. And shouldn't be.

It is not only that people touch the breadsticks... I have seen people pick up "crudités" - carrot sticks etc - with their fingers and then put them back on the plate... UGH! Not to mention that people with colds etc use the same serving spoons as those without...who then get the colds. Or whatever. No need for more details.

Some people, even on a "luxury" line, do not know really basic food handling. Just watch next time. It can be quite disgusting. And shouldn't be.

My Mother always told me "Money does not buy you class" and she was right.

Because La Veranda and the Pool Grill have a great selection of veggies for a salad, my DH goes up there and prepares his salad -- just to his liking and takes the plate down to Compass Rose to join me for lunch. No - the staff does not mind us doing this :-) After our cruise where so many people were ill (a year ago Christmas), we do not go to La Veranda very often - mostly for salads and pasta bar.

We can easily gross ourselves by watching what goes on in any dining venue -- ashore or at home. When passengers were sick, we were not permitted to even pick up a plate. It was handed to us by a server wearing gloves. So far - so good?........ not really! The same servers sere setting up our silverware and glasses on the tables without gloves. What about the menu's? Are they wiped off when each passengers is done reading it with the same hands that may or may not have been washed? The extends to the salt and pepper shakers, condiment containers, etc.

We do the best that we can. It is definitely safer to be served food as they do on Oceania. However, if we are not going to enjoy what is served, what is the point (not meaning food quality -- meaning that they do not give us the pieces or portions that we would select for ourseves?)

I am not sure why a luxury cruise has a buffet in the first place. To me, a buffet is completely out of place on a luxury cruise. It baffles me why someone (at Regent, SS, Seabourn etc) has not figured his out and tried to differentiate themselves from the norm by offering a proper lunch menu instead of all the buffet food sitting out just waiting for someone to mis-handle it. On land we avoid any thought of going to a buffet (even the most well done ones), so why should we need to compromise on a cruise? And for those who say the Compass Rose is open for lunch....sorry but I don't want to eat lunch inside in what is really an evening venue.

Edited by Sunprince

I am not sure why a luxury cruise has a buffet in the first place. To me, a buffet is completely out of place on a luxury cruise. It baffles me why someone (at Regent, SS, Seabourn etc) has not figured his out and tried to differentiate themselves from the norm by offering a proper lunch menu instead of all the buffet food sitting out just waiting for someone to mis-handle it. On land we avoid any thought of going to a buffet (even the most well done ones), so why should we need to compromise on a cruise? And for those who say the Compass Rose is open for lunch....sorry but I don't want to eat lunch inside in what is really an evening venue.

Absolute luxury for me is breakfast and lunch on Regent and Silversea in the buffet. I can have exactly what I want and as much as I want. I can try a bit of something new or stick with what I know I love. What in the world does that have to do with luxury? Is it OK for non "luxury" cruiselines to have buffets and why? For goodness sakes......eat elsewhere.

Your post brought many thoughts and emotions to mind. My first thought was to agree with you. Then I realized that there are some passengers returning from one excursion, grabbing a quick salad and going off on another (BTW, the thought of doing that is not a pleasant one). The thought of losing Compass Ross as a lunch dining option made me think of Seabourn. For a while, on at least some of their ships, their CR equivalent was not open for lunch and many passengers were complaining. I understand this thinking since we enjoy having a nice, leisurely lunch in CR and prefer eating inside.

Now I'm thinking about duplication. Ideally it would be nice if LV had a choice of buffet or ordering off a menu. I seem to recall that kitchen space was an issue in LV - especially on the Navigator. Could existing LV kitchens on the Mariner and Voyager accommodate this?

At the moment, at lunch time, there is the Pool Grill, Compass Rose, La Veranda and a small selection of items in the Coffee Connection (larger selection on the Mariner). If one could be done away with to make passengers happier, which one would it be?

Interesting thoughts but things may be fine the way there are - even though they are a luxury cruise line.

And Jackie - I bet you real money that the gloves the servers/waiters were wearing were white cotton?? They should have had disposable rubber gloves on if it were so.

Buffets - I agree, they have their place. There are somethings that we absolutely love about the buffets. Breakfast, for example. All those wonderful things we cannot get in Switzerland (corned beef hash for me, Eggs B for Ken). I like to be there when food is plated too and you cannot do that in the CR. If you just want a little taste of this and that it is complicated in a restaurant where you have to order.

I love the buffet at the Terrace Café on Oceania for dinner. But not, not at all, the Sette Mare options on Regent. And that is totally subjective... nothing to do with cleanliness.

Thanks for all the info. I think we'll stick to CR & CC - plus, maybe, the pool grill. We'll be off the ship for at least 2 lunches in any event. Presumably, some hot food is served to you in LV tho'?

Agree with the comments about buffets. Can't see a place for "help yourself" buffets on a luxury cruise line. Cunard manage to serve you in a restaurant without any problem if you are in a hurry!

Additionally, I don't go on holiday & pay a fortune to serve myself or carry a tray and scramble for a seat/table. Tried it a few times on P & O and Cunard, it's not for us. It is just like a Motorway service station to me. No thanks.

We regularly scrambled for a table on Navigator a few months back.Only half a dozen outside Sette Mari.We hate air conditioning and sitting indoors in the evening with air con,in the Caribbean,is not appealing for us.

Trays aren't generally used on cruise ships anymore.There were hygiene issues.They are unable to clean them in hot enough temperatures to kill bacteria.

Definitely agree. LV on the Navigator has been chopped up in order to accommodate Prime 7. It is crowded most of the time...... another reason we prefer the Mariner and Voyager. While LV can be a bit busy in the morning with people grabbing a bite to eat before excursions, we have never scrambled for seats.

P.S. Gerry, when so many people were sick on the Voyager, the crew were wearing proper plastic gloves but, as you know, this is not usually the case.

I can not imagine a luxury cruise without a buffet. To me the ability to sample, to change my mind and to be piggy is what luxury is all about. I agree with Gerry that the ability to have what one doesn't get at home is a sublime experience--and I agree with her choices.

Many people, me among them, do not prefer the formality of a served meal at B&L. On Regent we are fortunate that all types are accommodated.

Thanks for all the info. I think we'll stick to CR & CC - plus, maybe, the pool grill. We'll be off the ship for at least 2 lunches in any event. Presumably, some hot food is served to you in LV tho'?

Agree with the comments about buffets. Can't see a place for "help yourself" buffets on a luxury cruise line. Cunard manage to serve you in a restaurant without any problem if you are in a hurry!

Additionally, I don't go on holiday & pay a fortune to serve myself or carry a tray and scramble for a seat/table. Tried it a few times on P & O and Cunard, it's not for us. It is just like a Motorway service station to me. No thanks.

You never carry a tray on Regent (or Oceania). You serve yourself from the buffet onto a plate on Regent and sometimes that plate gets carried to your table for you. Not always and mostly only for ladies! On Oceania you are served but carry your own plate to your table...

Definitely agree. LV on the Navigator has been chopped up in order to accommodate Prime 7. It is crowded most of the time...... another reason we prefer the Mariner and Voyager. While LV can be a bit busy in the morning with people grabbing a bite to eat before excursions, we have never scrambled for seats.

P.S. Gerry, when so many people were sick on the Voyager, the crew were wearing proper plastic gloves but, as you know, this is not usually the case.

I am very happy to read this, Jackie! Now I owe you some $$ ... And I totally agree, la Veranda on the Navigator is truncated. It was always small but when Prime 7 arrived the space got really tight.

You never carry a tray on Regent (or Oceania). You serve yourself from the buffet onto a plate on Regent and sometimes that plate gets carried to your table for you. Not always and mostly only for ladies! On Oceania you are served but carry your own plate to your table...

Thanks for the info.

Same difference tho' - tray, plate - as I say, I dislike buffets on ships! I will concede that it shouldn't be such a scramble on Regent due to the lower passenger numbers and better service arrangements.

The hygiene issues aside, it isn't a motorway service station!

Seated at a restaurant or being served on deck or in the coffee bar will do for me. Only went in the buffet on QM2 once - walked straight out and went up to the cafe on deck, far more civilised!

Hi Pies4u,

I understand your analogy to a motorway; but, have you ever been to a nice wedding where the food is served at different stations? Certainly my choice, or in a variation food served family style. Maybe you get the drift convenience versus formality. As I said before on Regent, fortunately, you can choose.

Definitely agree. LV on the Navigator has been chopped up in order to accommodate Prime 7. It is crowded most of the time...... another reason we prefer the Mariner and Voyager. While LV can be a bit busy in the morning with people grabbing a bite to eat before excursions, we have never scrambled for seats............

It has been a few years since I was on the NAV. But, if LV was very busy they would open the back door of P7 and use P7 for overflow LV seating.

I do not remember if this was before the P7 expansion.

j

It has been a few years since I was on the NAV. But, if LV was very busy they would open the back door of P7 and use P7 for overflow LV seating.

I do not remember if this was before the P7 expansion.

j

It has been a while since we have been on the Navigator as well. The last time we were on the Navigator was after P7 was built. There has been an expansion since that time. They did open P7 to accommodate overflow from LV but it was still crowded. In the "old days", LV seemed to be a good size. They seem to have lost a lot of space with the refurbishment of the area.

We have always felt that there is not enough public space on the Navigator. The computer room, library, Navigator Lounge, LV and P7 would be so much nicer if they were a bit larger. I tend to compare the Navigator with Silversea's Whisper and Shadow. They are almost the identical size but have 50 less suites. I realize that Regent would never remove suites as that means less revenue but I can always dream. :)

Edited by Travelcat2

It has been a while since we have been on the Navigator as well. The last time we were on the Navigator was after P7 was built. There has been an expansion since that time. They did open P7 to accommodate overflow from LV but it was still crowded. In the "old days", LV seemed to be a good size. They seem to have lost a lot of space with the refurbishment of the area.

We have always felt that there is not enough public space on the Navigator. The computer room, library, Navigator Lounge, LV and P7 would be so much nicer if they were a bit larger. I tend to compare the Navigator with Silversea's Whisper and Shadow. They are almost the identical size but have 50 less suites. I realize that Regent would never remove suites as that means less revenue but I can always dream. :)

I dream too -- take out 75 suites. Move the Health Club spa to vacated area and add to that area Prime 7. Restore la Veranda's original space. Where the Health Club was, put Observation Lounge, expanding out onto the forward deck space...

"Dream on, baby" !!