Waiting for dinner - Are you given a Pager & Coupon for champagne?

din2play2

From what I've read this is one of those things that is a maybe- some people report getting a coupon for a free drink while others report that they didn't receive one. This is probably something that is done by some maitre'd's and not others.

From what I've read this is one of those things that is a maybe- some people report getting a coupon for a free drink while others report that they didn't receive one. This is probably something that is done by some maitre'd's and not others.

Right. Sometimes we've received a free drink coupon, sometimes not. (Lately, not.)

On the Dawn in August we received the pager and coupons on two occasions - the first night of the cruise and the last night. We had short waits of under 5 minutes on other nights with no sparkling wine. IMHO the sparkling wine is just "meh" but I will still enjoy the free bubbly.

I think its left up to hostess, and probably has to do with how much wait is anticipated. Although we have never had an excessive wait (more than about 15 minutes), we have had a drink coupon given us on a few of those occasions. But I don't think you can count on a free drink with every wait.

Our experience in March on BA was no. We had 8:30 reservations and were on time and us plus about 4 other groups were told to have a seat by bar as they weren't ready yet.

We sat 20-25 minutes then went in. Thing is, Cagneys wasn't even very busy and only a few people came out - one being a group of younger folks who complained to the hostess how long it took them to be served, their orders were messed up, etc. They were very polite and explained things but the sour puss hostess did nothing - not even apologize.

We got the same lackluster service the group that complained did. Maitre d never came over and at the end he was no where to be found.

Thing is, Cagneys wasn't even very busy and only a few people came out - one being a group of younger folks who complained to the hostess how long it took them to be served, their orders were messed up, etc. They were very polite and explained things but the sour puss hostess did nothing - not even apologize.

DH and I had so-so to bad experience on Cagney's on the Sun. Table next to us actually walked out before their dinner arrived and demanded a refund they had been waiting so long. OTOH we've had nothing but outstanding in Le Bistro and have never waited.

Just read in one of the posts here that when you have to wait to be seated for dinner that they give you a pager and coupons for a glass of champagne at a bar close by. Anyone experience this?

We were on the Jewel couple weeks ago and they gave us a pager and coupons for champagne. By the time we got our champagne the pager went off.

I've only ever had to wait very occasionally in the MDR, but on all occasions have been given the free champagne and a pager. I've never had to wait at a specialty, but then again I only go to Le Bistro and occasionally La Cuccina.

Just read in one of the posts here that when you have to wait to be seated for dinner that they give you a pager and coupons for a glass of champagne at a bar close by. Anyone experience this?

Our last cruise that is exactly how it worked: on a few others they have given us a pager and 20% off for a drink at the bar. I like that a little better, but either way is fine.