Walkie Talkies

..- --. .... .-.-.- / .. / --. ..- . ... ... / .. / -. . . -.. / - --- / -... --- --- -.- -- .- .-. -.- / - .... . / -- --- .-. ... . / -.-. --- -.. . / - .-. .- -. ... .-.. .- - --- .-. / ... .. - . .-.-.- .-.-.- .-.-.-

No, we're returning to our regularly scheduled programming now. :)

Our family of 11 has the two Aqua Theater Suites on Deck 8 on the 8/21/16 sailing on Allure. Never considered taking a Walkie-Talkie before, however reading some of these posts makes me wonder if it might be a convenient way of communicating between suites. Imagine the reception will be quite good on the decks.

Our family of 11 has the two Aqua Theater Suites on Deck 8 on the 8/21/16 sailing on Allure. Never considered taking a Walkie-Talkie before, however reading some of these posts makes me wonder if it might be a convenient way of communicating between suites. Imagine the reception will be quite good on the decks.

If you're trying to communicate between the rooms, why not just use the phone? The last thing I want to do is come up with more crap to pack...

I find it a bit weird that you chose to share your room type, sailing date and ship name, when all that information is completely irrelevant to the topic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Penciltwister

If you're trying to communicate between the rooms, why not just use the phone? The last thing I want to do is come up with more crap to pack...

Not just between rooms either, there are phones all over the ship. Pick it up, dial the cabin, talk, hang up. It's amazingly simple.

We had and still have an old small pair of walkie talkies-- We found it very helpful when we traveled with our kids at the time (before cell phones) They worked just fine all over the ships, never had any issues. Plenty of other families did the same thing-- just note that conversations aren't private- I do suggest carrying in hand luggage- they are small enough-- we found them really handy at embarkation--- I don't know why some people on this board are so negative--- Dh and I still bring them on board, but haven't needed them really for just the two of us- but still a nice extra option since we have them already.

I don't know why some people on this board are so negative

Negaitve? People come here to seek advice and give advice.

I have never had the need for walkie talkies. But on numerous occasions, I have encountered some gloriously self-centered individual letting his or her walkie talkie squawk and squeal at high volume, while occasionally shouting into it. I've never said to myself, "Hey, this is awesome and totally adds to my relaxation!".

So, my advice is walkie talkies are of limited utility and may very likely negatively affect those around you. Too "negative" for you?

We have used walkie talkies many many times on cruises. They are great onboard and off the ship.

We used FRS radios back in the 90s on cruises, but they didn't make the super annoying tones and squawks. They seem quite a bit old-fashioned these days. Haven't used them in many, many years.

Also, regarding using off the ship .. The frequencies they operate on are specific to the U.S. (if designed for use in the U.S.). In other countries, you may well be interfering with emergency communication systems, and their use could very well be illegal.

W/T is old tech. With a Lifeproof case for an iphone or similar set up with other devices and shop WiFi (free to suite guests) or have Verizon or similar add an international call package to your phone you can stay in touch. That is what i use on a cruise. Plus you can send Text or Face Time which beats the limitations of W/T. I dont think W/T include a camera so anothe win for iphons and such.

I have WiFi for my underwater camear so back on board I can put and undewater or above water snaps on my ipad as a back up.

Technology is something!

The new Galaxy S7 is supposed to be fairly water resistant without a special case. I'd use it in a pool but not in the ocean.

W/T are old tech but don't need a wifi pkg. However, their performance depends a lot on their surrounds whereas with wifi, you should get a consistently strong signal.

Edited by GuavaTechAngels

W/T is old tech. With a Lifeproof case for an iphone or similar set up with other devices and shop WiFi (free to suite guests) or have Verizon or similar add an international call package to your phone you can stay in touch. That is what i use on a cruise. Plus you can send Text or Face Time which beats the limitations of W/T. I dont think W/T include a camera so anothe win for iphons and such.

I have WiFi for my underwater camear so back on board I can put and undewater or above water snaps on my ipad as a back up.

Technology is something!

Actually there are walkie-talkies with texting and live video. And of course the biggest advantage to walkie-talkies is that after the initial purchase, there is zero additional expense.

Technology is something!

Old tech doesn't equal bad.

WT are way more cost-efficient, despite the limitations.

Couple of guys sat down a few chairs away in the upper area of the Solarium. They spent the next hour talking with a beep-beep noise between every sentence to their wives in the Solarium pool 30' away. If you really have to use these things turn off the alert sounds.

Couple of guys sat down a few chairs away in the upper area of the Solarium. They spent the next hour talking with a beep-beep noise between every sentence to their wives in the Solarium pool 30' away. If you really have to use these things turn off the alert sounds.

At minute 5 why didn't you smile and politely ask them to do so?

Seems like that potential 55 minutes of peace would have been worth any discomfort.