Euros

gjcocruiser

You will be able to charge most things, but there are always a few places that don't take credit cards so I advise having a few Euros on hand. Do you have a debit card that doesn't charge foreign transaction fees? [e.g. Charles Schwab] If so, you will find ATMs in airports, train stations, banks, etc. Also, at the end of your cruise you will be outside the Euro-zone so you will probably need a little of the local currencies (although they may take Euros).

It would be possible. I wouldn't bother to BRING euros, but I'd get some out of an ATM at the airport. Although it's all inclusive, and you really could do the entire trip without spending any extra money, if you think you may want to pick up something small at the airport for a snack (could use credit) or buy things from market vendors, I'd recommend getting at least some euros from an ATM when you arrive. We always find an ATM at the airport, then buy a cup of coffee or something to get some change.

I always bring enough Euros for the cab from the airport and a little extra . I don't want to deal with finding a bank ATM at the airport after a red eye flight, going through immigration, baggage etc. Not all ATM machines are created equal.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You will be able to charge most things, but there are always a few places that don't take credit cards so I advise having a few Euros on hand. Do you have a debit card that doesn't charge foreign transaction fees? [e.g. Charles Schwab] If so, you will find ATMs in airports, train stations, banks, etc. Also, at the end of your cruise you will be outside the Euro-zone so you will probably need a little of the local currencies (although they may take Euros).

Is Bucharest outside Euro-zone? It has been many many years since I was in Europe so am not familiar with the term.

Is Bucharest outside Euro-zone? It has been many many years since I was in Europe so am not familiar with the term.

Bucharest uses the Romanian leu, and Budapest uses the Hungarian forint. Not knowing OP's exact itinerary, I don't know if they will visit other non-Euro countries.

Bucharest uses the Romanian leu, and Budapest uses the Hungarian forint. Not knowing OP's exact itinerary, I don't know if they will visit other non-Euro countries.

I strongly recommend having euros ready in your purse, from an ATM or taken from home. Public toilets, kiosks, a few small shops and a few cafés might not take credit cards. I have seen foreign credit cards fail a couple of times. In Hungary, i.e. Budapest, tourist places take euros but you might get a better deal in forints. Some places in Germany have a minimum amount for credit card purchases, a sum of 5 euros springs to mind, but it will vary whether this will happen to you or not. It is best not to give the baker a 50 euro note at nine in the morning for a Berliner (German donut). ;) Try to avoid getting a 100 euro note from a machine, again, small places do not like to give away too much change.

Have a great cruise.

notamermaid

Hi gj,

You have a great trip ahead of you.

Vienna will be your last stop in the Eurozone.

Hungary, Croatia, Serbia, Bulgaria and Romania use their own currency.

Last year when we did a Bucharest to Vienna I got about $50 worth of each of the currencies - just in case.

You can use your leftover currency to tip the crew.

Ira

I am cruising Scenic Amsterdam to Budapest April 11th. Everything is included in their one price so I'm really having a very hard time figuring out how much I should get in Euros and Florints. It's 15 days. I'll want to bring home some soapless soap, Gouda cheese as gifts, Hungarian Paprika etc. Any suggestions?

I like the post about buying a coffee and getting change for toilets, good advice!!!

:rolleyes:

I am cruising Scenic Amsterdam to Budapest April 11th. Everything is included in their one price so I'm really having a very hard time figuring out how much I should get in Euros and Florints. It's 15 days. I'll want to bring home some soapless soap, Gouda cheese as gifts, Hungarian Paprika etc. Any suggestions?

I like the post about buying a coffee and getting change for toilets, good advice!!!

Check with customs and make sure you can bring cheese into the US.

Check with customs and make sure you can bring cheese into the US.

The golden rule is whatever food products you bring home, do declare them, even if you believe they are allowed.

Generally, commercially produced and packaged 'hard' cheeses will not be problem, just make sure they do not contain meat.

Thanks I will check with customs about the cheese and I'm bringing it back to Canada not US.

In general we Canadians aren't as picky about bringing back food as Americans, but do check.

In general we Canadians aren't as picky about bringing back food as Americans, but do check.
One reason is your winters are a lot more effective at killing off pests. Anything (except maybe polar bears) survive and thrive in Florida where we watch boas wrestling alligators while getting bit by zika carrying mosquitoes.

Floatinrocks, If your not spending to much time in Budapest you will find that the Euro is widely accepted, although taking a few with you would not do any harm and you will have peace of mind. Look for Praprika in Vienna I wish I could remember the name of the restraunt there they served the most fantastic goulash. We are doing the same trip as yourselves in June with Scenic and apart from either a massage or hair do which you could put on your c/card you don't need any cash. Have a great cruise CA

Edited by Canal archive
Senior moment

Thanks I will check with customs about the cheese and I'm bringing it back to Canada not US.

You can bring up 20kg of cheese into Canada! But the agent can impose duties on values over $20, though I don't think that is likely for small amounts. Here is the full list of Food, Plant and Animal Products allowed:

http://www.inspection.gc.ca/food/information-for-consumers/travellers/what-can-i-bring-into-canada-/eng/1389648337546/1389648516990#a2

Just make sure you are honest. If they find something you didn't admit to you can be in big trouble. If you declare at worst you will lose the item.
Good advice usually, but I'm still not going to declare the 20 kilos of cocaine...:rolleyes:

We purchased Paprika in Budapest and just declared it and also purchased that wonderful grainy German mustard in tubes that is so good, no problems getting it into US. Also remember goulash if made correctly in Hungary is a soup not something over noodles, which we discovered when we took a food tour in Budapest!

Thank you everybody, thanks for the link that will come in handy more than you know. Also, what is the grainy german mustard in tubes called? Anybody know? Did you purchase it in Germany or Budapest? I've had Hungarian Goulash at a restaurant here in town and it was a thick thick soup, no noddles.

No place like Cruise Critic for information.......love it.

Scenic does include everything - and most guides will be able to direct you to "free" toilets - but I would suggest having some Euros on hand just in case. We stay away from airport ATMs and usually find one in town. Again, the guides are a good source of info.

Not sure what bank you deal with, but ask if there are any articulation agreements. We bank with Scotia and so there are a number of banks in Europe that we can use and not be charged ATM fees.

Hungary is the best for Paprika... If you get an opportunity, go the to Central Market and buy it there. It is available *everywhere* in Budapest... the price may be affected by where you buy it, a "pretty" tin etc. Look for the expiry date - it is considered "good" for a year. You can buy hot and sweet everywhere - smoked is a bit more difficult to find (but is at the market). You can use Euros in Budapest, but you won't get the best exchange rate. We love Budapest... so much to see and do there.

We have not had any issues bringing home Paprika - haven't tried to bring back cheese. We found Scenic had some amazing cheeses on board - so really got my fill before we disembarked.

Enjoy your cruise!!

Fran

One other thing to keep in mind using debit/credit cards overseas.... notify your bank about your travel plans. Not sure how the US banks deal with it, but we have had our cards "cautioned" because we suddenly have charges on our card that are well out of our normal area. A quick call has fixed it, they just want to be sure that it's us using our cards, but we have had fun trying to get cell service in some areas to make that call.